News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Deck Height

Started by Hudson Hornet !, February 24, 2010, 11:38:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hudson Hornet !

My 383 is at the machine shop getting dipped and magnafluxed. I told the machinist about the 496 440 source kit I had decided on. After he looked at the specs, he said he was concerned about the piston coming up to the very top of the cylinder. If the block has to be decked, will this kit not work ? I am afraid of the piston coming into contact with the cylinder head. Am I wrong about this, or am I justified? The heads I plan on using are the tried and true performer rpm's with the 84 cc chamber. Thanks to all those who can help me out.
You've never heard of a Hudson hornet ? !

Cooter

Most times the block only has to be decked as much as it will take to just merely clean it up...Usually round .005-.010 at the most..

YOu are running the .041 Compressed head gasket with those Eddy heads, so that will give you some clearance in itself...Worst case, the tops of the pistons COULD be machined down a little bit....
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Ghoste

Has your machinist indicated a desire to deck it?  I know that kit puts the piston as coming to the very top of the cylinder.

Hudson Hornet !

I do not know if the engine will need decked at this time. My only other choice is the 431 kit, but I do not want to sacrifice all those cubes. In other words, I just do not know if I would be happy with a 431.  Any suggestions?

Ranger Max

John_Kunkel

Even if the piston extends a little above the deck it might not be a problem depending on gasket thickness. IIRC, the '68-'69 383HP pistons were above the deck.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Hudson Hornet !

Thanks for the replies. I fully understand that the block needs measured, and will be.  I can appreciate the head gasket thickness as well. If i decide to shy away from this combo, will a 431 still be a good street engine? I have heard of many other 383 kits but I just can't find any. I have heard of a 484" engine with a 4.15" stroke and 6.7 ish rods, but I cannot find anyone who sells the pistons for this combo. If anyone has some advice, please help, as I have to decide very soon! :scratchchin:

Ghoste

Sure the 431 would be great too.  Perhaps this would be the time to decide first what your real expectations are with the car?

Ranger Max

firefighter3931

Like RangerMax said....the closer to zero deck the better, especially if you plan to use a closed chamber head. Make sure you order the right piston if you plan to run it on pump gas. The 496 kit should have a dished piston for pump gas compression. With the 438 kit you can use a flattop piston and it will work fine with pump gas.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Hudson Hornet !

Okay, thanks for everyone who has helped. My expectations for the car would be as follows. Be street friendly, lots of tourque, fun to drive, and run high 11's at the track. Car is a 4-speed with 3.55 gears. Oh yeah, I want it to last a while too!! Am I asking too much, or is this feasable?

Also, with the 496 kit, how long would it live on the street if it was a fun summertime cruiser?

67_Dodge_Charger

I used the same kit on my 383/496 build and used a copper gasket to get the desired compression.  SCE copper gaskets cost more but can be used six times.  I have CRS on gasket thickness but it was at least .093, I just checked and it was .093 thick.  The gasket help me drop the compression to 10.5+.

Ghoste

Hudson Hornet, I don't think your goals are unreasonable.  As for how long it lasts, there are too many variables that are at your sole control for anyone here to accurately answer that but I don't think there is anything particularly about that 496 kit that should lead it to a greatly shortened life by virtue of design.  :Twocents:

firefighter3931

68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs