News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Question on 2800 stall torque converter

Started by Back N Black, February 04, 2010, 12:26:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Back N Black

I have a 2800 stall B&M Torque converter, when the engine and trans is cold the trans feels like its slipping, sorta like riding the clutch. When it up to operating temp it fine. Is this normal with a higher than stock torque converter?

firefighter3931

Yep, that's normal....my Dynamic 9.5in vert does the same thing. Nothing to worry about Eldon  ;)

Hey...you're not driving that beautiful car in the snow, are you ?  :lol:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Back N Black

Thanks Ron, thats what i was thinking, just wanted to make sure. Nope not driving her until the spring.

elacruze

Quote from: Back N Black on February 04, 2010, 12:26:00 PM
I have a 2800 stall B&M Torque converter, when the engine and trans is cold the trans feels like its slipping, sorta like riding the clutch. When it up to operating temp it fine. Is this normal with a higher than stock torque converter?

I wondered that myself a long time ago. The local (was, in Michigan) race tranny builder who had retired from GM-Hydromatic said it's simply because the tranny takes a lot more power to turn with cold fluid than hot fluid, and makes the converter slip more.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

flyinlow

Quote from: elacruze on February 05, 2010, 12:19:00 AM
Quote from: Back N Black on February 04, 2010, 12:26:00 PM

I wondered that myself a long time ago. The local (was, in Michigan) race tranny builder who had retired from GM-Hydromatic said it's simply because the tranny takes a lot more power to turn with cold fluid than hot fluid, and makes the converter slip more.

I always thought the converter leaked down a little after sitting and was sluggish while refilling. Alot of us give our old cars a couple minutes to warm up, but we leave them in park and most torkflights don't refill the converter in park.

What the trans. guy said dose make sense.

John_Kunkel

:iagree:  Depending on how long the converter "slips" when cold, it could be a simple case of converter drainback in which case starting in Neutral instead of Park will refill the converter rapidly.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.