News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Cam break in

Started by charger_cody, February 04, 2010, 11:27:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charger_cody

Ok stupid question from a noob. Never done this before. How exactly do I break in a cam? Do I run it at high RPM's?

If so, can I just drive it on the highway for 30 minutes or something?

Cody

RCKSTR

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,46015.0.html

:2thumbs:

Basically you want it to rev 1500-2000 rpm for a half hour, varying the rpm every 10 mins or so to make sure oil gets thrown all over the cam.

Sublime/Sixpack

No, not high RPM. On the initial start up I like to bring the RPM up to 2200 rpm and vary it between 2200 and 2400rpm for approximately 25 to 30 minutes. Be sure to apply a good cam lube to the cam lobes before installing it in the block. I suggest you use a cam break-in oil or at least add a cam break-in additive to your oil. Other members here will probably chime in with their preferred methods, or you could do a cam break-in search for more info.

One thing to be aware of (if this is a new engine and not just a cam swap) is if the engine starts to overheat, shut it down before pistons, rings and cylinders are damaged. Let it cool down, do what you need to do to resolve the heating issue then fire it back up, bring the rpm back up to 2200rpm and finish the cam break-in.
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

RECHRGD

Don't forget to use the cam break-in lube (paste) on the stick itself when installing it.  Bob  Ooooops!  Sublime beat me to it! :icon_smile_big:
13.53 @ 105.32

Musicman

Follow Sublimes post, varying the speed roughly between 2000 to 3000 rpm or so will do just fine. Varying the speed helps promote lifter spin... very important.

charger_cody