News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1973 Charger SE lower door hinge spring

Started by branded, February 10, 2010, 06:18:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

branded

Can anyone help me find a lower door hinge spring for an early 1973 Charger?  This is the coil spring, not the "S" spring.   Or if anyone knows if this part is interchangeable with any other year or model.  Please HELP!!

Tilar

According to my interchange manual the lower hinge will interchange with 71-73 Charger, 71 GTX, 71-73 Satellite and Roadrunner, the 71-73 Dodge passenger which covers quite a few including the Coronet, Polara,  Monoco, Dart, 300, 71-73 Plymouth Fury and Belvedere and a few others.

Part numbers according to this interchange manual are 3454512 for the lower right and 3454513 for lower left hinge.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

devilgear

71383bee

Quote from: Tilar on February 10, 2010, 07:50:43 PM
According to my interchange manual the lower hinge will interchange with 71-73 Charger, 71 GTX, 71-73 Satellite and Roadrunner, the 71-73 Dodge passenger which covers quite a few including the Coronet, Polara,  Monoco, Dart, 300, 71-73 Plymouth Fury and Belvedere and a few others.

Part numbers according to this interchange manual are 3454512 for the lower right and 3454513 for lower left hinge.

Just curious...where do you get these interchange manuals?  Is this something Galen did?  Thanks
71 - FC7 383 Super Bee

ipstrategies

My drivers side fell out and when I took fender off I tried putting it back on but I think I need a new one also. Devilgear why did you take yours out?
1971 Dodge Charger SE 383 Magnum
1999 Dodge Durango 5.9
1995 Chrysler LHS

41husk

I had mine rebuilt.  I think the name of the Co. was SMS  :shruggy:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

branded

Thanks for the information.  Now that I know some years and makes that are interchangeable, I'll check some of the salvage yards around here.

Tilar

Quote from: 71383bee on February 11, 2010, 12:26:05 AM

Just curious...where do you get these interchange manuals?  Is this something Galen did?  Thanks

Interchange manuals were around long before Gaylen ever heard of a Charger.   I have a Hollander 39th edition, Here is a 40th edition. They are pricey but in the long run I think they pay for themselves.
Dave  

SG1022

Quote from: Tilar on February 11, 2010, 07:00:40 PM
Quote from: 71383bee on February 11, 2010, 12:26:05 AM

Interchange manuals were around long before Gaylen ever heard of a Charger.   I have a Hollander 39th edition, Here is a 40th edition. They are pricey but in the long run I think they pay for themselves.

Damn, that is a bit spendy.  How about you just post your personal Cell number on the site  :nana:

Tilar

Haha, Are you kidding? I posted an ad on craigslist for a 94 Chevy 4x4 that I want to sell and I put my cell phone number in the ad. I think I've answered that damn phone more times in the last 3 days than I have so far this year... But on the good side it looks like I may have sold the truck.  :2thumbs:
Dave  

branded

Does anyone know if you can interchange the lower door hinge coil spring on an early 1973 Charger with the "S" spring for a late 1973?  Year One carries the "S" springs but do not have the coil springs available.

Tilar

The interchange book doesn't go into actual parts for the hinge. Sorry. Why don't you change the whole hinges?
Dave  

devilgear

It's been a few years since I removed them, but I think they were not closing smooth.Like I had to really slam the door so I took them out.They really did not do much for me other than let the door stop a little before it closed....

branded

I'm having a harder time finding a hinge with the coil spring than I thought.  I can buy rebuilt door hinge sets from Year One but I only need one.  Since the "S" spring is readily available, I figured that would be the easiest way to go.  I guess I'll keep looking.   Thanks for the input!

AmadeusCharger500

Are you referring to the S-spring hinge that was used on 71-72? If it is the same hinge then I might have some parts left over. I have rebuilt 2 sets of hinges. It is not way out of line to rebuild it yourself. There are some split pins you will need and of course the spring itself. How complete are your hinges?

branded

It's the "S" spring used on late 73. I checked with Desert Valley Auto and they wanted $84 for one hinge.  I've decided to go with rebuilt hinges, that way I can just replace the old ones and move on.  I appreciate all the help!!

71_Charger_R/T