News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New 4 speed consoles

Started by 66FBCharger, February 04, 2010, 08:16:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

66FBCharger

I see that 4 speed (and auto) console parts are being reproduced. It appears that everything is reproduced so that a complete console could be assembled. I see that BEA has all of them available. Does anyone know if BEA or any company offer a complete console assembled and ready to install?
By doing some quick math on all the parts I think I would need to assemble a new 4 speed console it would total around $1300. I think, being that everything is new, that is a pretty good price considering the prices of used four speed consoles (that could have broken or missing parts).
Does BEA make all the 4 speed console parts in their catalog? Are there multiple companies making these parts? Is one companies quality better than the others? I bought some parts from BEA at the Nats, met the owner and was impressed with the parts and the service. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase from them again!
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

bull

Quote from: 66FBCharger on February 04, 2010, 08:16:28 AM
I see that 4 speed (and auto) console parts are being reproduced. It appears that everything is reproduced so that a complete console could be assembled. I see that BEA has all of them available. Does anyone know if BEA or any company offer a complete console assembled and ready to install?
By doing some quick math on all the parts I think I would need to assemble a new 4 speed console it would total around $1300. I think, being that everything is new, that is a pretty good price considering the prices of used four speed consoles (that could have broken or missing parts).
Does BEA make all the 4 speed console parts in their catalog? Are there multiple companies making these parts? Is one companies quality better than the others? I bought some parts from BEA at the Nats, met the owner and was impressed with the parts and the service. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase from them again!

The console shell itself is being made my 2-3 companies I believe. Don't quote me on that. As far as the console top plates and related "shiny stuff" hardware, BE&A is the only place to go. There is one other place that sells top plates but they are crap. If you see console hardware for sale on Ebay, listed by "jiema8," do not send them any money! I don't know if they are BE&A's sloppy seconds or something being pirated by a Chinese company or what but do NOT buy them! http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,58972.0.html

Troy

BE&A/PG Classic makes everything except the console body and carpet as far as I know (I'm a bit fuzzy on the side cover and trim though). There stuff is very "correct" looking. There's another place selling plastic or fiberglass top pieces but I don't remember who it is nor do I know why anyone would choose to use them. The console bodies were being produced by one company but I heard Tony's parts either bought them out or are the sole distributor.

I no longer have any console cars so it looks like I have saved some money. ;)

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Dans 68

Quote from: Troy on February 04, 2010, 01:42:35 PM
...I no longer have any console cars so it looks like I have saved some money. ;)

Troy

So then, where do you keep your wallet?  :scratchchin:  My Chiropractor would kick me in my "wallet" if I put it in my back pocket.  :P

I do like the look of a non-console car if it is kept clean and stark (in appearance). But, alas, I will need to get one Tony's reproductions eventually as my (the console's) back end has cracked and seems to be rapidly aging (just like it's caretakers).  :brickwall:

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

moparstuart

I need the long chrome moldiing that goes on the drivers side , that holds the carpet section on
  does anyone repop those ?  or anyone have a used one .  its 4spd  console only molding .
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: moparstuart on February 04, 2010, 02:42:01 PM
I need the long chrome moldiing that goes on the drivers side , that holds the carpet section on
  does anyone repop those ?  or anyone have a used one .  its 4spd  console only molding .

Megaparts has 'em.  :2thumbs:

But they're almost $200  :eek2:

Yes, I'm going to buy one.  ::)

moparstuart

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on February 04, 2010, 06:49:11 PM

i figured they are hard to find
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

AKcharger

I was going to change  my '72 from a bench to buckets but thought...how any chargers do you see WITHOUT a console? I like it, makes me feel special  :icon_smile_cool:

The '70 is going from an autoconsole to a 4 speed console when it makes it up here to AK next year

clanton

I had bought all the pieces except for the side stainless trim that rides above the carpet on the sides. I do not remember where I bought the shell from, but the grain is not the same nor is as deep as the originals. The mold is very accurate. I opted for the plastic rather than the fiber glass kick panel on the drivers side from Year one, and the holes align very well to the console, which I pop riveted like the originals. The top plates are PPG and they are not bad, but the chrome had some ripples in the middle part of glove door, which is rather noticeable. The rear bottom plate made by PPG is VERY accurate. The carpet I believe came from Year One and is terrible, the rear wrap around came up short, and the drivers side is matting already, and I havent driven the car much since the install. The 4SPD boot is a repo and is very nice, and seems to be rugged enough to withstand years of shifting., and is very accurate. All together the cost was about $1000
Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

66FBCharger

'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto

694spdRT

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on February 04, 2010, 06:49:11 PM

I found an original 4 speed moulding on Ebay for $10.00 a few years ago. It was listed wierd and I was the only bidder on it. That was a good find.  :yesnod:
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

clanton

Sorry, PPG=BE&A/PG Classic, I dunno what I was thinking.
Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

66FBCharger

Are BEA and PG Classics the same company?

Troy

Quote from: 66FBCharger on February 09, 2010, 12:38:29 PM
Yes and no. BE&A is the US arm - PG Classic is in Canada. The parts are the same except BE&A has the licensed versions.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

66FBCharger

Quote from: Troy on February 09, 2010, 01:04:55 PM
Yes and no. BE&A is the US arm - PG Classic is in Canada. The parts are the same except BE&A has the licensed versions.

Troy

Troy,
Thanks for the clarification. I didn't know that.

mauve66

Quote from: Troy on February 09, 2010, 01:04:55 PM

Troy

and the better fitting/tested pieces it seems sometimes
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

charge-it

I put together a 4 speed console for my 68 with a combo of new and used parts and easily have over 1K invested and that is including that stupid after thought crooked handle two piece welded together hurst shifter . My car was originally a console car. Looking back I should have eliminated the console. I have become a fan of Mopar stick cars and to me the plain look of just a handle coming up through the floor instead of coming out through the top of the console just looks all business instead of luxury to me. My console body came from Tonys Parts, the 4 speed top plate from PG Clasics, the console door, small top rear piece, and rear piece were used but nice parts. The side hump cover and carpet came from trim parts an the long chrome side piece came from Scott Smith at Harms Automotive. That part is now repopped by Metro for less $$$ but the part from Harms fit and looks perfect. The passenger side chrome trim was a used but real nice part. The shifter boot came from PG classics and the floor hump boot was an NOS part from Bill at A&M Hightech Automotive. Good luck building a console, just don't plan on getting out of it cheap if you want to do it right.
Visit our new website:

http://www.pepsparts.com