News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

elacruze '68 resto thread (Heavy photos)

Started by elacruze, February 04, 2010, 04:07:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RIDELIKEHELL

Man that looks stellar! Great work..jealous mine isn't at that stage. You must be itching to :drive:
AMD POSTER BOY

1968 CHARGER R/T  http://www.youtube.com/user/ridelikehell73

elacruze

I haven't slept more than 6 hours in days...actually last night was pretty good, Thanks to my medication...
Still a lot to get done, but I'm confident we're still online for June 4 Power Tour registration. Most depends on my ability to get the EFI tuned to a state good enough to stay on the road. Cold start is good, hot idle is good, hot restart is good-but you can't know how it goes until you load it up in gear and move down the line.

Stay tuned.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

Wicked72

M-Massively O-Over P-Powered A-And R-Respected

elacruze

Quote from: Wicked72 on May 31, 2011, 08:42:01 AM
Make a VID!!!  :cheers:  :popcrn: sweet ride!

Camera's in the car with a full battery and a new tape! Expect lots of PT footage too.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
---

elacruze

Gear Vendors day...

The GV has an activation solenoid, and a signal generator in the speedo cable which need to connect to the control module. I also needed to connect my reverse light switch...so cut a 5/8" hole in the top of the tunnel under the console and ran all three up through. The GV module nestles nicely in the console beside the driver seat, and the reverse switch was too easy-the automatic transmission wiring in this car gets the reverse lights switched by the shifter whereas the manual trans car comes up the firewall and through the bulkhead connector. I only had to add 2 feet of wires and presto! I added a jumper to the hot side of the reverse light switch harness to power the GV-the lights/radio fuse is 5amp, the GV uses a 3 amp, and the reverse lights will never be on while the GV is active...and the radio is inactive as well. All worked out great! Don't have a console harness, so looking for some generic lamp sockets that will fit the recepticles... post Power Tour details.
Tomorrow morning, drive around until something falls off or I need a break then connect vacuum lines for A/C and headlight doors, finish tach wire and schedule final A/C install with A/C shop for Thursday or Friday. Cutting it close but we're still online.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
---

Fred

Awesome job Eric,   :drool5:  I really like the spoiler (it looks great) and am thinking of doing the same to my '68 Charger.
Is the spoiler by any chance from a '69 Camaro ? Please share your secret. It fits so well.
Cheers, Fred

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

elacruze

Quote from: Fred on June 01, 2011, 12:13:13 AM
Awesome job Eric,   :drool5:  I really like the spoiler (it looks great) and am thinking of doing the same to my '68 Charger.
Is the spoiler by any chance from a '69 Camaro ? Please share your secret. It fits so well.
Cheers, Fred

Standard issue '69 Camaro spoiler. Search the forum, you'll find more than a couple other cars with them-and they all look good. I've seen two or three different types, some hard thin plastic and some thicker and more flexible. Mine is fairly forgiving, I'll install a brace in the center and maybe the sides as well, down the road sometime.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
---

Fred

Quote from: elacruze on June 01, 2011, 12:24:41 AM
Quote from: Fred on June 01, 2011, 12:13:13 AM
Cheers, Fred

Standard issue '69 Camaro spoiler. Search the forum, you'll find more than a couple other cars with them-and they all look good. I've seen two or three different types, some hard thin plastic and some thicker and more flexible. Mine is fairly forgiving, I'll install a brace in the center and maybe the sides as well, down the road sometime.

Thanks Eric. I'll post some pics once it's installed.  Fred

bakerhillpins

Quote from: elacruze on May 31, 2011, 09:11:32 AM
Camera's in the car with a full battery and a new tape! Expect lots of PT footage too.

New Tape?!? Wow man, looks like your going old school all the way.  :icon_smile_big:

You have done an amazing job with this car. Can't wait to see the video, er tape.  :lol:

Are you going to put dog dish hubcaps on the wheels or leave the studs showing?
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

dongar69

Quote from: elacruze on April 24, 2011, 10:08:16 AM
Yesterday's project was to lay out the power window harness and see what kind of mess that will be-pretty straightforward looks like. The XV setup uses stock '80's style GM switches, which work well and in my experience last about 15 years in regular service. I'll eventually collect up the correct Mopar switches and change it over (in some years).
The bugger was that although it was talked about, nobody remembered to actually cut out the holes between the body and the doors for the wiring harness, and now the doors and fenders are hung and adjusted. Fortunately, the inner fenders are still out and there was just enough room to get in there with a custom drill rig. With some pain and patience, the holes went in and the harness boots are test fitted. Instead of removing all the motor connectors from the harness to get through the boots, I'm going to part the main harnesses in the doors below the switches and install Molex connectors so I can just pull the harness through, and separate the switch if necessary to pull the door panels off. Here's a pic of the drill I had to use, without touching the inside of the fender...
Where did you find the harness boots? I recently added power windows to mine but have yet to run the harness. Been looking for photo's and now.....here they are! Great job!

elacruze

Connected vacuum to headlamps. Chased reverse lights but no cigar-bad switch maybe. Tuned, drove, tuned more drove more. Probably only 20 miles or so, but every time out is massively better. I'll post up in the engine thread the ballad of the Fresh Tuner.

Debut.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
---

elacruze

The initial driving impression was hard to describe-the car has no bad points in handling. Brakes are nice and balanced (not yet broken in on either end) no pull while driving or stopping. Throttle feel is linear and strong, although my fuel map is way too lean all over so not much rubber around yet.
Temp never exceeds 196. Gear Vendors needs to be clutched or you'll get a whiplash (that's a good thing) Brakes are coming in strong and smooth with linear pedal effort. No deal breakers, just good stuff today.
Flat, rigid, smooth...tight.

Youtube clip tomorrow.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
---

tan top

:drool5: looks awesome out side !!  :yesnod:

looking forward to seeing video  :coolgleamA:   :popcrn:

body colored steel wheels look real good  :yesnod: :scratchchin:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

sixty8charger

b.e.a.-utiful! Can't wait to get mine out there like that!!!!
Jayson

twodko

FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Bob T

Looks Fantastic, looking forward to the clip   :coolgleamA:   .
And good luck and great driving on the Tour  :2thumbs:
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

TUFCAT

Eric (elacruze) and Kelly were still in Michigan after the Power Tour and came over today. :2thumbs:

The charger looked awesome. The paint job is super straight and the engine mods are very sweet. It's a very well sorted out car.  :yesnod:  

My kids also enjoyed playing "driving" with Kelly. I wish I'd taken pictures 'cause it was really cute...

We had a nice afternoon. Thanks for visiting! :icon_smile_wink:

Btw, Paige told me I need to get a shifter for the Coronet. :iagree:

elacruze

I'm closing out this thread now, the Tour is over and the car is waiting the next adventure...of course they're never finished right?
I'll take the car back over to the shop to have some oil leaks addressed.

Thanks to Bill and Ginger Cullere at Lane's Trim Shop for making this happen for me, and to Paul Grasso, John, Frank, Jared and Jeff at Fat City Automotive for their diligence and extra time put in to have the car ready for this year's Power Tour.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
---

Vainglory, Esq.

Thanks for sharing.  This is a gem of a thread, and you should be very proud of the work you did.

elacruze

Never did post a photo of the car finished-Still have to get the chrome tips on the exhaust, but the rest is there.

1968 505" EFI 4-speed
---

Finn

1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

nvrbdn

70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Aussie R/T

Well done the car just looks so period like just how sheldon would have seen it in his time machine had he dialed up 1969.Well done to all involved super job.

Fred