News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

elacruze '68 resto thread (Heavy photos)

Started by elacruze, February 04, 2010, 04:07:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

elacruze

Changed up to underhood yesterday. Got the Throttle bodies mounted, cables run. I had to trim the air cleaner studs down to the minimum to get nuts on-I have about 1/2" of hood clearance. To check, I put some prussian blue on a rubber body plug and put the plug on top of the assembled air cleaner nut, and pushed on the closed hood above it to compress it as much as possible. No contact, so I'm clear.
I need to make a throttle cable bracket to suit. I also have to get serious about plumbing the fuel lines and return.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

The70RT

<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

68RT4ME

'69 Charger R/T, T5, Tan Top, Tan Interior, Black Stripe. Complete numbers matching 440 4Spd

elacruze

Two steps forward and one back. We have the fuel and brake lines run, exhaust and driveshaft ordered, pinion bearings re-shimmed, sound deadener installed. Hopefully today the dashboard and steering column will go in. We'll have the ammeter bypass wiring completed today. Not much that's picture-worthy. I had to take the idle air control distribution block back to the machinist to have some clearance relieved (again, due to inadequate measurement) The engine wiring is in, I'm wiring the starter and hopefully hanging the EFI boxes today too. I'll post pics of anything worthy.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
---

elacruze

Dashboard is in, ammeter bypass is done, fuel lines done. The woodgrain steering wheel is turning out very nicely. Sadly I didn't take any photos of 'before' but the spokes were getting very rusty on the backside, and ugly in front. A few days soaking each spoke in Evapo-Rust has made it excellent from an arms length, and getting better with every soak.
I have to mount the fuel pump now, I'll be reviewing other threads and moparts to look for good ideas.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
---

elacruze

Moving fast again. Moved the car back to Lane's Trim Shop to have the top and interior installed, hopefully over the weekend. Laid out the chrome, started polishing it up. Cleaned and painted the taillamps and installed. Fuel pump is installed, although it's higher than the tank...we'll see how that works out, at least temporarily.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
---

FlatbackFanatic

Your 68 is looking Great!!! :drool5: :drool5: Your doing a great job . :2thumbs:
Flatback Fanatic, Kurt  , MN

firefighter3931

Quote from: FlatbackFanatic on April 22, 2011, 10:45:07 PM
Your 68 is looking Great!!! :drool5: :drool5: Your doing a great job . :2thumbs:

:iagree: That Blue interior with the Silver paint is awesome !  :bow:

What fuel pump are you using Eric ? I don't see the mounting location as a problem  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

elacruze

Quote from: firefighter3931 on April 23, 2011, 09:23:28 AM
Quote from: FlatbackFanatic on April 22, 2011, 10:45:07 PM

:iagree: That Blue interior with the Silver paint is awesome !  :bow:

What fuel pump are you using Eric ? I don't see the mounting location as a problem  ;)

Ron

The pump is a Walbro GSL394, 190lph. It should be enough to run this engine on the TBI-but I'd think it to be marginal for bonneville...I'll have to monitor the fuel pressure on some long dyno pulls to be certain it's up to capacity.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
---

elacruze

Yesterday's project was to lay out the power window harness and see what kind of mess that will be-pretty straightforward looks like. The XV setup uses stock '80's style GM switches, which work well and in my experience last about 15 years in regular service. I'll eventually collect up the correct Mopar switches and change it over (in some years).
The bugger was that although it was talked about, nobody remembered to actually cut out the holes between the body and the doors for the wiring harness, and now the doors and fenders are hung and adjusted. Fortunately, the inner fenders are still out and there was just enough room to get in there with a custom drill rig. With some pain and patience, the holes went in and the harness boots are test fitted. Instead of removing all the motor connectors from the harness to get through the boots, I'm going to part the main harnesses in the doors below the switches and install Molex connectors so I can just pull the harness through, and separate the switch if necessary to pull the door panels off. Here's a pic of the drill We had to use, without touching the inside of the fender...
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
---

twodko

FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

elacruze

Just in-

I haven't been to the car today but this came.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
---

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

RIDELIKEHELL

Looks awesome! Can't wait for my stripes and roof to get finished :cheers:
AMD POSTER BOY

1968 CHARGER R/T  http://www.youtube.com/user/ridelikehell73

bill440rt

Holy smokes, that is looking awesome!!!  :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5:

Really impressive, top notch work you're doing there. Can't wait to see the finished product.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

bull

Nice, very nice. :2thumbs: I wish I was as far along as you but the money doesn't seem to come in as fast as I want to spend it.

elacruze

Quote from: bull on April 27, 2011, 12:51:03 PM
Nice, very nice. :2thumbs: I wish I was as far along as you but the money doesn't seem to come in as fast as I want to spend it.

Now add a $42,000 garage that Florida insurance demands, and see how your hiney feels. (I could have just a door on the carport for technical service of insurance, but can't build a non-garage). I'm not going into debt but I sure won't have as much invested as I expected. I'll just wax the car and play Xbox in the man-cave.

I ran the battery cable to the trunk today, got the parking brake cables run through the frame connector, and picked up the brake drums from the machine shop. Tomorrow should be connecting the power and installing the fuel pump relay, and if lucky getting power to the fuel controller.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
---

hemi68charger

Hey Eric..
Car's looking great.. Andy told me about your thread... Looks great. I feel your pain with the corssmember for the GearVendor. As you may or may not know, I put one in my Daytona. I too had to modify the crossmember support, but not to the extent you needed to. Also, your speedometer cable adpator looks like it has less clearance than my Daytona, but both cars have the same floorpan. I just got back from a photoshoot at Texas Motor Speedway and the GV performed flawlessly. I took the car to nearly 125 mph and, what seemed to be, much more....
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

CDN72SE

1972 Charger SE

elacruze

Ordered a few more things today, found a NHRA approved battery box the right size at Jegs. Got some trim pieces in the mail, including the headliner bow pockets so kindly sent by 68coronetGLwannabe (A ton of thanks) so this weekend will be rockin'! the headliner will go in, probably the carpet and we'll get under the dash and finalize the connections, hopefully get the harnesses installed and power up the chassis.
I spent most of the day buffing stainless trim, something that should have been done long ago but I can't stand at the buffer very long.
Also installed some more B-Quiet on the ceiling. A little more tomorrow and we'll be ready for the whole interior.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
---

sixty8charger

one day my rusty roof will look like that!  :drool5:
Jayson

elacruze

I couldn't get good light and angles, but the trim turned out very nice (I could spend a lot more time buffing to perfection, but that will have to wait) and the headliner is awesome. I couldn't get the color due to the angle of the light coming in the door. Today's mission will be wiring the fuel injection and trying to make the harness look like less than a nest of snakes.  :P
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
---

68RT4ME

Looking real good. Is that your garage?
'69 Charger R/T, T5, Tan Top, Tan Interior, Black Stripe. Complete numbers matching 440 4Spd

twodko

Polishing the trim on your car is really satisfying. The Mrs cleaned all the trim and I polished it up.....turned out great as well.
Your trim looks virtually new now! :2thumbs:
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

elacruze

Quote from: 68RT4ME on May 01, 2011, 01:15:27 PM
Looking real good. Is that your garage?

Not yet, that's Lane's Trim Shop in Stuart, FL. with the owner Bill Cullere. He's OCD about details.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
---