News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

elacruze '68 resto thread (Heavy photos)

Started by elacruze, February 04, 2010, 04:07:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rattlehead_74

Thanks, This will help us decide where to go next,although we are replacing alot more than you had to ,its still good to see how its done!

elacruze

Still waiting for the Permits for the Paint Booth...Boo city ordinances. Was pre-approved but of course they have to nickel-and-dime you out of a few more thou before it's officially approved...

Anyway car's close enough to start seriously getting the other stuff together. I bought a Passon aluminum case for the transmission, so I can sell the R/T correct matching Hemi trans case and engine block as a package to somebody who can use them. Also, getting the First-Edition EFI kit tightened up-just have to finalize/install the idle air control motor and clean up the messy harness. (this kit was in a boat) Accidently discovered a recently opened performance shop two doors down from the resto shop, with a chassis dyno and a couple kids who actually know how to use it-they had a 9-second twin turbo 'Stang on it today, and I didn't throw any questions at them they couldn't answer.

Here's today's photo.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

drifter69

Are you putting the factory silver back on or?

elacruze

Quote from: drifter69 on August 08, 2010, 03:16:30 PM
Are you putting the factory silver back on or?

Yes, going back to factory original color and interior. Silver, black vinyl top and blue interior. I'm adding a black R/T stripe as well.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
---

charge69

Interesting color combination. Saw very few that color but I know it will look great.  Sempr Fi and come home safely. Even and maybe, especially, a contractor has a rough time of it in the 'stan. I know it is only a matter of time before you come back home.

Stay safe

Carl

elacruze

Quote from: charge69 on August 08, 2010, 07:24:45 PM
Interesting color combination. Saw very few that color but I know it will look great.  Sempr Fi and come home safely. Even and maybe, especially, a contractor has a rough time of it in the 'stan. I know it is only a matter of time before you come back home.

Stay safe

Carl

Thanks Carl,

I guess I didn't mention that I'm back home now, and trying to organize all the pieces I've bought at a distance and have piled up at home...
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
---

charge69

Glad you are back home.  It is frustrating getting an old car back in shape. Hope yours goes better than mine.

elacruze

Just a couple photos of the stage 1 fuel injection system. I found this dual quad setup on ebay for about $1400 complete, on a BBC manifold. This CH28 Edelbrock has been equalized by Hughes, flow is about 290CFM per port. I'm only waiting for an idle air control block from the machine shop, to divide the IAC between the two throttle bodies.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
---

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Rolling_Thunder

could you have just mounted the IAC on the rear throttle body much like the choke on original dual quad vehicles -  not ideal i know but had worked for decades.
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

elacruze

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on September 05, 2010, 02:57:35 PM
could you have just mounted the IAC on the rear throttle body much like the choke on original dual quad vehicles -  not ideal i know but had worked for decades.
The throttle bodies are mounted face-to-face, with a cable running around to the second body. The fuel pressure regulator interferes with an inline placement, and the IAC wouldn't fit on either one between the two. It's clean enough in place, but doesn't sound pretty. The cable is well-made, as are the brackets etc.
I'll run this system long enough to tune it and prove it, then upgrade to the Multi-port EFI when it's ready.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
---

68RT4ME

Hey Eric, I know you told me you were working on your car but I had no idea to the extent of the work till I saw this thread. Your car is coming along in a word, "Fantastic". I can't wait to see it in person.  :drool5:  :2thumbs:
'69 Charger R/T, T5, Tan Top, Tan Interior, Black Stripe. Complete numbers matching 440 4Spd

elacruze

Stopped in to visit, found the car had been through the spray booth and primed for the 2nd blocking. Once more around the pole, and she'll have color!

Dang if I didn't forget to take a picture.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
---

elacruze

Update-Final blocking before paint!
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
---

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: elacruze on September 22, 2010, 07:12:44 PM

I dont want to be a downer , but there are WAy too many break throughs on that for sealer and paint. Its asking for trouble to not reprime it atleast one more time.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

elacruze

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on September 22, 2010, 07:39:57 PM

I dont want to be a downer , but there are WAy too many break throughs on that for sealer and paint. Its asking for trouble to not reprime it atleast one more time.

Ok, maybe not the last time...I've studiously avoided paint ever since I got stuck painting farm equipment for a whole summer at 14...
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
---

hemi-hampton

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on September 22, 2010, 07:39:57 PM

I was thinking the same thing :scratchchin:  LEON.

elacruze

Thanks, guys.

I'm sure it's being done right, I didn't talk to anyone the car was being worked by one of the employees and I didn't ask, I assumed. I know nothing about paint except that there's more to go wrong then right when I do it.  :icon_smile_cool:

I'm just excited that it's getting close.

<edit>
They sprayed and blocked twice more after this!
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
---

elacruze

OK my phone doesn't like certain lighting so the color is crap, but it's progress...Color in the interior and trunk.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
---

chargerman67

This job is very well done. Keep up the good work. Great pics.
67 Dodge Charger 440
87 Toyota Supra 2.5L twin turbo (JDM)
95 Impala SS
97 BMW 528i

bull

68blue

elacruze

Finally got color on the outside of the car...too bad I don't have good lighting for the camera...maybe tomorrow.

This is with the first clearcoat before sanding and second coat. Body panels will be done tomorrow, then assembled and recleared next week. I think.

Finally got the heads assembled, except for having to shorten the Hughes Engines billet shaft clamps.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
---

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

RIDELIKEHELL

:cheers: Love the color! Great progress you must be pleased...
AMD POSTER BOY

1968 CHARGER R/T  http://www.youtube.com/user/ridelikehell73