News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

elacruze '68 resto thread (Heavy photos)

Started by elacruze, February 04, 2010, 04:07:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

elacruze

ECU harness... :eek2:
I just tore it all apart and started from the beginning...
Finalized the positive battery cable to the starter. Need to run power to the starter relay and to the ECU. Fuel pump wire to trunk and relay...
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

elacruze

Christmas in July.
Denny's driveshaft with 1350 u-joints on both ends.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
---

sixty8charger

Jayson

elacruze

Installed rear deck speakers today, had to get them in so the interior can start with the package tray. I didn't photo the finished area, but it got sound deadener all around. JBL GTO series 5x7s.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
---

68RT4ME

Hey Eric, I was down at the shop a few days back and got to see your car first hand. Guy's, it is an AMAZING CAR!!!. A real piece of art Bro. Cannot wait to get started on mine. Keep up the great work.  :2thumbs:
'69 Charger R/T, T5, Tan Top, Tan Interior, Black Stripe. Complete numbers matching 440 4Spd

Rolling_Thunder

love the silver and blue gut...              don't complaint about the ECU harness...      i'll show you a picture of what I got going on in my garage   :smilielol:     

Looking great man - seriously.    keep up the good work.
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

elacruze

Hey Andy, missed you by minutes while at lunch.

I spent most of the day on the engine, finishing the details on the EFI setup, throttle, etc. Mounted the ballast and regulator on the firewall.

Package tray and rear window trim is in. Notice the perfect alignment of hood, dashboard, and rear seat pleats. Bill's attention to detail is remarkable!

1968 505" EFI 4-speed
---

six-tee-nine

The blue is really something different instead of  the usual black......not that i'm against black though, I like it.

I cant get over the pos starter cable so i have to ask : are you using a special cable? because I would worry a bit about the insulation geting damaged easily under the car and next to the Z-bar.
If it were me I'd use a cable with a reinforced insulation or but a extra plastic tube (like the ones used in newer cars) around the cable.  :cheers:
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

elacruze

Quote from: six-tee-nine on May 13, 2011, 01:37:50 AM
The blue is really something different instead of  the usual black......not that i'm against black though, I like it.

I cant get over the pos starter cable so i have to ask : are you using a special cable? because I would worry a bit about the insulation geting damaged easily under the car and next to the Z-bar.
If it were me I'd use a cable with a reinforced insulation or but a extra plastic tube (like the ones used in newer cars) around the cable.  :cheers:

I used professional-grade Excelene #2 welding cable for the positive. It has a very high wire count, is very flexible, and has a rubber insulation instead of plastic.
If it ever shows signs of wear, or if it isn't large enough (technically for that length it probably should be #0) I'll replace it with Draka brand, which is immensely superior but also immensely expensive. I don't expect any problems since the cable is secured every 12-14". I went to great pains to be certain it can't contact the Z-bar, or touch anything besides the clamps from engine movement or road impact. I'll take a photo showing the routing through the frame and along the rocker.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
---

elacruze

The new Tri-City Plating bumpers came-2 days after ordering. They are great!
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
---

elacruze

Ok, all the work today...

Bill installed the windows, trim, felts, etc. and they look great.

I worked on installing the ECUs in the battery box, which turned out to be more work than I thought but it turned out nice. Tomorrow I'll finish the wiring and Sunday hopefully is first-start day!

First pic is of the ECU isolators, actually aircraft instrument panel isolators. Pretty small and soft, about 1/2" tall.
I drilled and installed them in the battery tray, made an aluminum mounting plate for the ECU and screwed the whole thing together. Nice vibration isolation.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
---

elacruze

Don'cha hate it when you need battery source under your dash, and have no convenient place to connect?

When I ran the bypass on the ammeter, I made the wires long enough to add a power stud, screwed to the clutch pedal bracket. I needed a good 30 amp source for the power windows, so I thought of this. I found the stud with cap at West Marine.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
---

elacruze

I never fully decoded the fender tag before, so I'm posting it up here and in another thread. Interestingly, it has some hand-stamped numbers in the last 3 positions of the first row-difficult to read due to over-striking and age. Looks like 26x. <edit> Now known to be St. Louis plant inspector stamp.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
---

six-tee-nine

Quote from: elacruze on May 13, 2011, 06:18:15 AM
Quote from: six-tee-nine on May 13, 2011, 01:37:50 AM
The blue is really something different instead of  the usual black......not that i'm against black though, I like it.

If it were me I'd use a cable with a reinforced insulation or but a extra plastic tube (like the ones used in newer cars) around the cable.  :cheers:

I used professional-grade Excelene #2 welding cable for the positive. It has a very high wire count, is very flexible, and has a rubber insulation instead of plastic.
If it ever shows signs of wear, or if it isn't large enough (technically for that length it probably should be #0) I'll replace it with Draka brand, which is immensely superior but also immensely expensive. I don't expect any problems since the cable is secured every 12-14". I went to great pains to be certain it can't contact the Z-bar, or touch anything besides the clamps from engine movement or road impact. I'll take a photo showing the routing through the frame and along the rocker.

No need to convince me, I just kept asking myself the same question so I just had to ask.....
The pics clearly show that you know what you are  dealing with so i dont doubt your skills, just pure curiosity.

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

elacruze

Didn't get started today, still have some wiring details, radiator, etc.
Got spark plug wires on, some harness cleanup and planning. Belts are on, hoses and clamps in house. as soon as I finish the wiring we can install the radiator and test run.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
---

elacruze

Been posting mostly in the engine thread...

Changed out the mis-matched injectors, 45pph all around now...still have RPM pickup issues...idle air control motor was no good.
Replaced the IAC, good to go.
The RPM problem turned out to be that the ECU firmware was old, but the software I downloaded was new...don't work together. Firmware can only be upgraded at the Holley Tech Center, so $78 in FEDEX later it's off...prolly another $78 to get it back, hopefully they'll make it happen before Monday.

Although the Holley system is shaping up nicely, rest assured I won't be using their stuff long-term. The issues I've had, although made worse by the time crush to the power tour should have been addressed somewhere in the literature or Holley's website. Having to send a unit in to get upgrades is inexcusable when you can't download the particular software necessary to make it work. I'll have the Electromotive box installed as soon as possible after the PT.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
---

Rolling_Thunder

yeah -  shame on Holley for that...     That is why I am a huge fan of the MegaSquirt...   EVERYTHING you need is found online...   
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

68blue

I like using the battery box for the electronics, may look at relocating my battery back to the trunk sometime in the future. :2thumbs:

elacruze

Put the ECU back in today, works flawlessly. Spent some time tuning in neutral, found some adjuster nuts off the rockers so readjusted and torqued...will do again after first drive. Film at 11.

Installed A/C underhood stuff-new compressor, condenser and lines. Classic Auto Air Rocks! everything fit perfectly, and they got the stuff out the door to me the same day, even with custom hoses (to put the port fittings up top instead of at the compressor).

Also, used high-density foam to gasket the condenser-most condensers have a gap between them and the radiator, so air comes in around the sides instead of through the condenser leading to overpressure and poor cooling while idling in traffic. Gasketing forces the air to be drawn through the condenser at all times so it's not dependent on vehicle speed to cool.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
---

elacruze

Marathon days...

Speedo cable routed
Park brake cable adjusted
Brakes bled
Shifter adjusted
Wiring sorted
Grille installed!
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
---

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

twodko

FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

elacruze

Grille adjusted...bumper adjusted...valence adjusted...spoiler installed
Rear light harness wrapped, installed and tested
Interior lights final check
Inner fender splash shields installed
Wheels installed and torqued!

Tomorrow morning will install tach wire, connect vacuum for lights and A/C, detail a few wires underhood.

Drive and tune!
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
---

68r/t

Exciting times, the car looks great and good luck with the first drive.

six-tee-nine

Ouch so that means your at a point you're so excited you cant sleep anymore