News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

I need help (daughters truck)

Started by vancamp, February 03, 2010, 08:15:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vancamp

my daughters 98 ram 360 left her stranded so i went and got it, with no throttle it cranks tries to start but nothing then it might start and die,start it and keep giving it throttle it starts and runs and will idle. I installed a new crank position sensor (local dealers suggestion) and no change, took out the idle air motor/sensor and cleaned it with carb cleaner and no change, the fuel is running 50 psi with key on off it holds at 45 psi and no codes are on the computer. cold it starts and runs fine after it warms up it doesnt want to start unless you give it throttle and keep it running after you take off it runs fine doesnt quit and will idle after being run.turn it off again and it doesnt want to start. ????????????????????

A383Wing

What's fuel pressure? Thinking possibly TPS or maybe MAP sensor? Would have to see scanner data to make a better call

vancamp

Quote from: A383Wing on February 03, 2010, 08:21:50 PM
What's fuel pressure? Thinking possibly TPS or maybe MAP sensor? Would have to see scanner data to make a better call
fuel pressure with ignition on is 50 psi, scanner just comes up no dtc's detected or something to that effect.  runs great cold after it warms up it goes funky.

RD

67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

snagm z

had 2 98 trucks 318 and diesel  do the same thing it was tps both of them
I should have picked bowling as a hobby.
Darn mopar B bodies it's an illness.
Theres always room for one more Charger

snagm z

check the tach if u have one it will jump around like a yo yo when in neutal
I should have picked bowling as a hobby.
Darn mopar B bodies it's an illness.
Theres always room for one more Charger

vancamp

Quote from: snagm z on February 03, 2010, 08:49:35 PM
check the tach if u have one it will jump around like a yo yo when in neutal
Tach holds steady in neutral right at 700-750 rpm

RCKSTR

Is it a 4x4? The previous owner of mine spent month of time and thousands of dollars replacing every electrical component on the engine (including tps, crank sensor, cam sensor, coolant temp, injectors, plugs cap rotor wires, dist, 02 sensors etc) due to a non fire/misfire when running condition. Turns out the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) harness came loose from the gromment on the tranny, rubbed on the front driveshaft, wore through the sheathing, and grounded the computer out. 30 cents of solder and heat shrink later that was the best running ram I ever had.

elacruze

Sounds like TPS here too.

Integral with the TPS is an idle validation switch, which confirms in the computer that the throttle pedal is actually in the fully released position. If the IVS and the TPS position do not agree, the engine will not start at idle but will at part throttle. This should throw a DTC code though, unless it goes passive or deletes after warming up and correcting. Your IVS switch could be gummy. In any case, it is part of the TPS module and must be replaced as an assembly.
I'll throw in the caveat that I have no experience with Chrysler's electronic engine controls.

Are all passive DTC codes clear?
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

bull

I hate sensors. Just another layer of crap to break down on you.

vancamp

Quote from: RCKSTR on February 04, 2010, 12:43:40 AM
Is it a 4x4? The previous owner of mine spent month of time and thousands of dollars replacing every electrical component on the engine (including tps, crank sensor, cam sensor, coolant temp, injectors, plugs cap rotor wires, dist, 02 sensors etc) due to a non fire/misfire when running condition. Turns out the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) harness came loose from the gromment on the tranny, rubbed on the front driveshaft, wore through the sheathing, and grounded the computer out. 30 cents of solder and heat shrink later that was the best running ram I ever had.
nope 2 wheel drive

vancamp

Quote from: elacruze on February 04, 2010, 12:59:05 AM
Sounds like TPS here too.

Integral with the TPS is an idle validation switch, which confirms in the computer that the throttle pedal is actually in the fully released position. If the IVS and the TPS position do not agree, the engine will not start at idle but will at part throttle. This should throw a DTC code though, unless it goes passive or deletes after warming up and correcting. Your IVS switch could be gummy. In any case, it is part of the TPS module and must be replaced as an assembly.
I'll throw in the caveat that I have no experience with Chrysler's electronic engine controls.

Are all passive DTC codes clear?

no dtc codes shown when i hook it up to obd

67_Dodge_Charger

Starts and then dies.   Sounds like the pickup coil in the distributor, this is a very frustrating problem to pin down.

elacruze

Tough guess. Check the battery;

1. Static battery voltage cold.
2. Battery Voltage cold while cranking.
3. Battery Voltage hot while cranking.
4. System Voltage while running.

If the battery is marginal or the starter is drawing too much current, you could be starving the ECU for power. This would be worse when hot, as the starter would draw more current than when cold.  :shruggy:
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

Todd Wilson

Its been my experience with my 95 Ram when theres a sensor problem it will throw a code.  How old is the battery?  The Rams were famous for not running or not running good when a battery is in poor shape. It may have enough poop left to start and it may work just fine for another 2 years in something old like our Dodge Chargers but with low voltage and or weak cells the computer will freak out.

Heres a good site to read and go thru.

http://dodgeram.org/

Hard Starting, and/or long crank time, and/or poor idle
leaking injectors - will not set a fault code
Bad Idle Air Control motor
Weak battery - dead cell(s) will cause strange idling problems

A cheap thing to try is put a battery from another vehicle in and see what happens. give the computer some time to learn things again as it will forget when a battery is bad or disconnected.

Todd

vancamp

I installed a new idle air sensor today and it seems to be the fix so far it hasnt acted up since i put it in.

Todd Wilson

Quote from: vancamp on February 04, 2010, 02:33:28 PM
I installed a new idle air sensor today and it seems to be the fix so far it hasnt acted up since i put it in.

Well good! Let us know how it goes!

Todd

wayfast1500

Could be the TPS, I had the same truck and it was doing that when the coolant temp sensor went.  The sensor was telling the computer it was running at -4 degrees in the fall, so it was making it extremely rich and barely running when it did run.

Todd Wilson

Quote from: vancamp on February 04, 2010, 02:33:28 PM

Well has this Idle Air Sensor  cured the problem?

Todd

BrianShaughnessy

Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.