News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Under hood seals

Started by twodko, February 02, 2010, 11:40:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

twodko

Hey all,

I've removed the 2 black rubber rain shields (?) from under my 69's hood. I've scrubbed them with soap and water but they still have that aged grey look even though they're still very plyable. Any tips on returning them to their original black, short of painting them........which wouldn't last. thanks.

Tom
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Projekts

I have not been able to get anything to stick to rubber yet either. I did read an article in Mopar Magazine about a company that painted redlines on tires and they used a specific paint that is designed for tires. I found some here as an example:

http://www.millertire.com/repairs.asp

I haven't tried it yet but tire paint would be my best guess.

oldrock

have you tried that tire black stuff yet? Might be worth a shot.

gasoline_24

Try Laquer Thinner.  This will get it back to looking new.

twodko

Thanks guys, I appreciate the suggestions! I never considered laquer thinner or tire black. Tonight it'll be laquer thinner and I'll go from there.

Tom

histoy

After you clean them with the lacquer thinner, give them a coat of Armor All or similar rubber protectant.

69DodgeCharger

Quote from: histoy on February 02, 2010, 07:48:29 PM
After you clean them with the lacquer thinner, give them a coat of Armor All or similar rubber protectant.

Yep that's what I did and it worked out pretty well. But don't use the Armour All anywhere near anything you plan on painting in the near future.
http://www.mypowerblock.com/profile/69DodgeCharger

The bugle sounds the charge begins. But on this battlefield no one wins.

twodko

I'm anxious to clean them up this weekend with lacquer thinner!

histoy, thanks for the tip but to be frank, I remember back in the day when ArmorAll first came out. Everybody thought it the stuff was great...........until it became apparent that it broke down the molecular structure of dash pads, vinyl door panels etc especially under high heat conditions causing cracks and shrinkage.

Tom

histoy

Tom, there are a multitude of protectants on the market right now, if you don't want to use Armor All.   McGuires has a good one for rubber products.   Black Magic is another one I've used for years.  I think you will need to use something once you clean them, but it's only my opinion.