News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

cranks with spark and fuel but wont start - I must be missing something

Started by oldrock, January 26, 2010, 10:53:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corellian Corvette

Sounds like a plan! However - get the car running before you do the intake swap! Don't complicate the diagnosis. A new rebuilt carb and intake could have their own problems, so better to diagnose this problem first, THEN do the intake/carb swap!

lisiecki1

Have you pulled to drivers valve cover and put the crank at TDC to verify that the valvetrain is in the correct position?  Maybe the timing jumped and is extremely off...
Remember the average response time to a 911 call is over 4 minutes.

The average response time of a 357 magnum is 1400 FPS.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,52527.0.html

oldrock

I will def get him going before we try swapping out the intake and carb. Hopefully the new electronic ignition setup will get him rolling with the stock intake and 2barrel carb. I am thinking just go ahead and get the 4 barrel intake and carb so we can start working on the carb rebuild in our free time. Then do the conversion later when we have an open weekend.

TylerCharger69

Have you made sure the voltage regulator is working properly and is also grounded properly?

oldrock

I didn't check the voltage regulator specifically since the motor died but I know just a couple weeks ago I checked the voltage on teh alternator and it was fine. I will check again once we get her back running.

RCKSTR

I emailed that seller for you, and their distributer is NOT identical to mine. They use their own cap and rotor. Might be a good idea to order a new set from them now, so when you do need it, you arent waiting for one. Always a good idea to have spare parts around  :2thumbs:

oldrock

I had to give an update. Weather cooperated today and with the help of a buddy, we got the new distributer installed in the charger this afternoon. After discovering the new distributor didn't line up properly with the old one... we had to shift all the plugs over one slot on the distributer to correct that situation. After a bit of struggling with the wires, we got it all installed. Put a shot of starting fluid in the carb and turned the key and VIOLA! It started up and idled   :2thumbs:

Didn't have time to work on the timing and tune it back up but the main thing is it did start up and would idle albeit a bit rough. We plan on working on setting the timing, etc. tomorrow and hopefully Josh will be back on the road monday. Never did figure out exactly what was wrong with the old setup but no matter, the new electronic ignition should be alot more dependable or at least alot less hassle. Thanks everyone for all the advice during this. It has been a big ordeal but looks like I see light at the end of the tunnel. FIngers crossed that I can just set the timing and tweak the carb settings and have it running great.

SeattleCharger

ya, that's awesome, seemingly fixed it, 

:woohoo:      :dance:    :boogie:     :musik010:

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

Corellian Corvette