News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What would you do?

Started by 69bronzeT5, February 02, 2010, 04:32:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69bronzeT5

Just curious as to what you guys think. As I've talked about in another thread, I spotted an ad on my local Craigslist for a guy selling a bunch of Studebaker project and parts cars. However in the 'graveyard', he has a 1974 Dart Sport. It's pretty rusty so it makes a good parts car. Now, I contacted the guy about it and pretty quickly he replied. Within 40 minutes of emailing back and forth we worked out a deal and I told him I would take it. After that he didn't reply for about 3 days. He then contacted me 3 days later saying a guy came and bought the registration and tags for $200 but he still had the car and I could still buy it for a bit cheaper. I told him yeah for sure I would take it. On Thursday night, he asked me if I would like to come look at it on Sunday night. I told him I would be away until Sunday night but could do it on Monday. I also said if anything came up he could call me at (insert my cell number) and then I asked for his. It's now Tuesday and he isn't replying to any of my emails. Just out of curiousity, I emailed him on a side account asking him which Studebakers he had left and he never replied to that either. I'm worried, I want this car but he's not replying to any emails regarding any cars he is selling. Now he did mention his uncle was in the hospital but got out and ended up going home, that's why he wanted me to look at the car Sunday night instead of Thursday night when I wanted to. So what do you guys think of this situation?
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

TylerCharger69

A guy came and bought the registration and tags??  Hmmmm.....that sounds kinda fishy in itself.  Not only from the seller, but the buyer as well.  If i'm going to buy a car, I dont think anyone else deserves to have the registration and tags but me as the buyer.  Perhaps he needed the registration to cover up a stolen vehicle?  :scratchchin:  Just my  :Twocents:

I think I would stay away from that and do business with someone else

69bronzeT5

The thing is it's super cheap and a lot of the parts can be used. I want it to part and cut up.

Tilar

What was he asking for the car to begin with? If he sold $200 worth of goods off of the car is he taking $200 off of the price he wanted? I wouldn't have figured a parts car being worth much more than that to begin with. Better CYA if you deal with this guy.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

69bronzeT5

He wanted $100 for it originally.

Rallyecharger

When you say "tags" do you mean the fender tag and the dash vin ?? if so I would be guessing the car is not his or was stolen etc..... I would stay clear because if you get caught transporting/ parting out a car with no identification,you might become very popular with the R.C.M.P......
What the guy did was illegal.................... :Twocents:
       Johnny

TylerCharger69

I was assuming registration and license tags/plates.  Probably using it to get a car tagged that's either stolen or under a salvage note.

bull

Uberflake. Flakes always have a relative in the hospital or a pregnant wife or a pending house sale or are about ready to go on vacation or are about to be deployed to Iraq or are on NASA's crew hot list to join the current shuttle mission or might have to fly to Haiti to volunteer at a moment's notice or are a special agent in Her Majesty's Secret Service and might be away from their computer/telephone for days at a time.

Give it time. Either he won't be able to find someone who will pay more than you and he'll call you or he will find someone and you'll never hear from him again. Or, you'll catch him unexpectedly and he'll make up some lame excuse why he didn't call or why the car is gone. Seriously though, how many people do you know have to be available for a sick uncle?

rt green

go over there, pick your parts, give him 25 bucks and leave.
third string oil changer

elacruze

Quote from: bull on February 02, 2010, 09:37:28 PM
Uberflake. Flakes always have a relative in the hospital or a pregnant wife or a pending house sale or are about ready to go on vacation or are about to be deployed to Iraq or are on NASA's crew hot list to join the current shuttle mission or might have to fly to Haiti to volunteer at a moment's notice or are a special agent in Her Majesty's Secret Service and might be away from their computer/telephone for days at a time.

Give it time. Either he won't be able to find someone who will pay more than you and he'll call you or he will find someone and you'll never hear from him again. Or, you'll catch him unexpectedly and he'll make up some lame excuse why he didn't call or why the car is gone. Seriously though, how many people do you know have to be available for a sick uncle?
:iagree:

Desperate people will say anything if they think they can get another $25 a day sooner.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

Back N Black

Hey, if he sells the tags and VIN no big deal, its just a parts car.Buy it, take what you need and send it to the crusher.  :2thumbs:

Old Moparz

Quote from: rt green on February 02, 2010, 09:56:59 PM
go over there, pick your parts, give him 25 bucks and leave.

I agree.  :yesnod:

Cutting up a car to sell parts from isn't as profitable & beneficial as you think, especially if it's a rot box. The last parts car I had was a 1967 Barracuda Fastback that I still have a bunch of crap from taking up space. I needed a few odds & ends off the car & didn't want to deal with it, but the guy said he'd deliver it to my house 25 miles away for $100 total. I sold a few things on Moparts & broke even, gave some things away to a friend, then scrapped what was left.

Cody, just in case you didn't know, the hood from the 1973 to 1976 Dart Sports are the same as a 1969 Barracuda.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

Brock Samson

:scratchchin:  learn something new everyday.