News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

PrePaid mobile phones

Started by bakerhillpins, February 02, 2010, 12:47:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bakerhillpins

So I have finally come to realize its a good idea to have a mobile phone. I don't need it all the time but with the increasing number of miles I put on the motorcycle during the warmer months and the fact that it's good piece of mind during travel I think its time. We as a family have not got one yet for 2 reasons primarily. We live in BF Egypt and you can't get a cell signal, not even with a booster. Its mostly because we live in a valley up on a hillside so we are shielded from all towers. Second, I refuse to pay $1200+ a year for a phone. That's insane.  :RantExplode: Besides, the money needs to go to the charger fund... which is very close now.  :icon_smile_big:  I need this phone to do out of state travel. In fact that is probably where it will be used most frequently. Texting (besides the fact that it is a HUGE scam) and data plans are not needed but will factor into the equation if all else is equal.

My parents have prepaid phones but I wanted to see what other users have to say about their service, carriers, and what $$ traps to be careful of.

All input is welcome and appreciated.  :cheers:

Thanks
Bryan
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

Old Moparz

I use the cell phone minimally, so I didn't want a monthly bill either. I've been using Virgin Mobile for several years & find that it works well. Got one for my wife, my daughter, & my mother too. The phone itself is not expensive, & they offer a $90 annual plan that allows you to keep your phone number for one year. Virgin Mobile as well as others require you to buy air time periodically so you can keep the same number. If you don't stay on top of it & add time every 60 to 90 days, you lose the number & have to get a new one.

The signal isn't always as good as a Verizon phone my wife used to have, but for how we use it, it's fine. They also offer contracts & different plans, but you'd have to pick one depending on how you use the phone during the year. The only extra I get is a $5 texting package that gives me 200 texts per month. My wife is a teacher's aid in an autistic class at my daughter's school & can't make or receive calls, so sending texts back & forth works for us. My mother works nights, so I send her texts during the day & she can read them at her convenience.

http://www.virginmobileusa.com/

You can add time on line or buy a prepaid phone card in all types of stores like Radio Shack, Target, & Wally-Mart.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

chargergirl

With as hectic as my life gets I would have a new number every month if I had a pre-pay. I have four phones on Verizon and yes I pay a premium to have all four. It does run me about $1200 a year but I have amazing reception and many folks upset...then using my phone cause they can't get a signal. Verizon makes a combat phone that is dang near indestructable...we know ours is since it has gone across a hanger when dropped from the wing. We found a case to keep it locked in place...Mark called "to say hi, will explain later" on the day it hit the ground and scuttled. I call and update the roaming everywhere we go...I don't know if you can do that with a pre pay...if you can it would be great. I used my phone as my only phone and still did great on the minutes. They now have a $69 a month text and talk unlimited from Verizon. From my experience, being with other companies, I have had NO signal when I am most vunerable...in the middle of nowhere with other companies. As we head into a new area...I update both our phones and never have a problem since it picks up the towers around you. With what I do...texting is a must as is being able to talk on the cell for long periods of time. Voice mail to text message is a nift option and since I hate having to check messages it's great...thinking about making that switch...getting 10 mega pixel camera phone and unlimited everything...for me it's a write off.
Trust your Woobie!

Arthu®

I'm now curious, what is that you do Chargergirl?

Also I didn't know there was a person left in the western hemisphere without a mobile phone...

Arthur
Striving for world domination since 1986

bakerhillpins

Quote from: Arthu® on February 03, 2010, 06:47:27 PM

Also I didn't know there was a person left in the western hemisphere without a mobile phone...

Arthur

Yep. frankly I hate the things. Why in the heck do I want people to be able to reach me everywhere I go?  :shruggy: Guess that is why I live where there is no cell service. But alas, I found that it has some merit and am off to join the land of the zombies.  :D

96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein

Old Moparz

Quote from: bakerhillpins on February 03, 2010, 08:39:14 PM

Yep. frankly I hate the things. Why in the heck do I want people to be able to reach me everywhere I go?  :shruggy: Guess that is why I live where there is no cell service. But alas, I found that it has some merit and am off to join the land of the zombies.  :D

How not to be bothered on your cell phone.....

1.  Don't turn it on unless you need to make a call.
2.  If you do have it on, turn off the ringer & the vibrate.
3.  Leave it in the car instead of carrying it with you while you're out.
4.  If you aren't driving, leave it at home if you know you'll be near a regular phone.
5.  If you have to carry it & end up answering it, always have an excuse ready so you can hang up.

Excuses to help get you off the phone.....

1.  Pretend to lose your signal by skipping words, but don't forget to pause for that "real time" believability.
2.  If you're home, go ring the door bell & say you have to get rid of the Jehovas again.
3.  If you're in the car, lay on the horn, place the phone on your lap, yell a few obscenities, & then say you'll call later.
4.  Keep paper handy to crumple near the phone so the other person will think it's a bad connection.
5.  Get a recorder, have someone yell "Put the phone down & your hands on your head!" then play it back & just hang up.

They always work for me, but make sure you don't use the same excuses on the same person.   :2thumbs:
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

bakerhillpins

Quote from: Old Moparz on February 04, 2010, 02:59:17 PM
They always work for me, but make sure you don't use the same excuses on the same person.   :2thumbs:

:lol:

I suspect the real reason I don't have one yet isn't because I don't want folks to bother me, its because I don't want to know that no one actually wants to talk to me.  :-\  ;)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

chargergirl

Quote from: Arthu® on February 03, 2010, 06:47:27 PM

Arthur
I am the office administrator at a realty company. and a business owner Exit Realty NFI is the company  I work for and we do it a little different than a lot of realty companies..we will actually help you save your home. Yes, without making a dime. It has been my experience that watching someone with the weight of the world on their shoulders...not knowing where to turn...and feeling like they alone in this horriffic experience coming in to our office...then watching them walk out with the truth about what they can do to save their home has been amazing. It is important that people get hold of you. If they are distressed then they are impatient about response. This is kind of my fault anyway...about two years ago all the realtors were talking about how people could do this or that and didn't...I said regular people don't know do what you guys know to do. You think this is common knowledge cause it's what you do...most of us know to sign on the dotted line...I've bought four houses...I relied on the realtors to negotiate the contract. We also have a parts business and if you've ever been missing a part when you need it...it's important that I call you. So for both businesses...it's important that I can find your relief, call you back, or just email you that I have, found, or are sending what you need to breath.
Trust your Woobie!