News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Questions about Hemi Orange and 999 orange

Started by 66FBCharger, February 01, 2010, 12:24:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

66FBCharger

What is the 999 orange used in '69 called? Was it available for the full year or was it a spring special color? How much different is it than V2 hemi orange? What is the color of the Charger on the cover of the brochure ( the brochure that has the whole front of the car if you opened the catalog up and set it flat)?
Does anyone have pictures of Chargers that are painted V2 or 999? I would like to see what they look like on the car.
Thanks,
john
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

Ghoste

It's not quite that simple.  999 means special order paint so that code can be for any color you could have armtwisted them into applying.  The orange I think you are talking about is typically called Omaha Orange and to my eye, it's a little darker than Hemi Orange.

Rolling_Thunder

999 was simply special order paint....   

If you know it was originally orange then it would have been Omaha Orange...     apparently it is Vitamin C orange but with no metallic mixed into it...    same color as the 1963-1964 Max Wedge Engine blocks....   
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

66FBCharger

I was looking at the 69 Dodge PPG paint card and it lists three colors as 999. They are 60436 Orange, 44032 Rallye Green, 81570 Bahama Yellow.
I knew that 999 was the code for special order paint, but was confused to see these three colors listed as 999.
Wasn't there a few colors that were added and were referred to as spring special colors? I thought that was what PPG was referring to. Did the spring special colors have a paint code? I would assume they would.
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto

66FBCharger

Here is what I was looking at: http://www.1969chargerregistry.com/pictures/Dodge69paint_01.jpg
I just noticed the asterisk. The three colors were spring colors.

PocketThunder

"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Just 6T9 CHGR

For '69 the correct Special Order Paint code was 99 99 (printed this way on the fender tag)

Like Paul posted a link to the 3rd 99 99 color was Omaha Orange....his car is surely a 1 of single digits.... :thumbs:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

66FBCharger

Thanks for the info.
Would I be correct in saying the orange Charger on the front and back pages of the catalog is HEMI Orange?

hemigeno

Quote from: 66FBCharger on February 01, 2010, 02:57:41 PM
Would I be correct in saying the orange Charger on the front and back pages of the catalog is HEMI Orange?

Actually, I would peg the catalog/brochure Charger as R4 red - which has a fair amount of orange hue to it under the right lighting conditions.  The brochure may not have reproduced the actual color of the car as faithfully as we'd like to believe, I'm sure.

V2 wasn't available until much later in the model year (availability at the assembly factories was announced March 7th, 1969 according to some factory docs), and the brochure car/color doesn't look orange enough to be the fleet color "Omaha orange".

:Twocents:

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: 66FBCharger on February 01, 2010, 02:57:41 PM
Thanks for the info.
If you are referring to a '69 dealer brochure more than likely it is either R4 or R6 red..... V2 Hemi orange was a mid year color offered after 3/7/69 or so

EDIT:  Darn Geno you got me while I was a typin' ;)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

hemigeno

:nana:

While we're on that subject, did I send you a scan of the transmittal sheets on F6 & V2 yet?  Don't remember...

Dan T

Quote from: hemigeno on February 01, 2010, 04:01:12 PM
:nana:

While we're on that subject, did I send you a scan of the transmittal sheets on F6 & V2 yet?  Don't remember...

Not sure what a transmittal sheet is, but sounds interesting considering I have a F6 car..
1969 Charger R/T
1969 Dart Custom
2006 Charger R/T

hemigeno

What is the SPD (build date) of your car, Dan?

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

PocketThunder

Quote from: tan top on February 01, 2010, 05:14:19 PM
Quote from: PocketThunder on February 01, 2010, 01:44:20 PM
:whistling: :wave: :apimp:  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,60095.msg674111.html#msg674111

been studying  your 999 charger again Paul, man thats a awesome Charger you have there dude  :drool5: unrestored  :coolgleamA: :yesnod:  :2thumbs:

thanks!  She is sitting patiently in my detached garage awaiting engine removal for inspection and rebuilding.   :yesnod:  Its gonna be a good summer for me, i want to put a couple thousand miles on this car at least this year.

"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

66FBCharger

So were the spring special colors all coded on the fender tag 99 99? How would a body shop know what the correct paint code was if they needed to do paint repairs?

hemigeno

Don't believe everything you read on a PPG paint card...   :lol:

The three special colors associated with the 1969 "99 99" were not necessarily introduced in the spring, nor necessarily referred to as "Spring Special" colors everywhere.

There is at least one '69 Charger500 coded for 99 99 and painted Omaha Orange, but it was built in the fall of 1968. 

You're quite correct in that if you owned a 99 99 paint code car, there is no way to tell just by the fender tag (or even broadcast sheet, AFAIK) what color it was originally.  All the code indicated was essentially that it was a custom color, and you'd have to go by original or undisturbed areas of the car to document what color it was originally sprayed.  That's why having an original/unrestored car such as Paul's is such a cool thing.

Just 6T9 CHGR

:iagree:

I don't have any of the BS's for the 99 99 cars I have registered to see if there is some designation of color (more than likely hand written)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

PocketThunder

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on February 01, 2010, 07:01:36 PM

I don't have any of the BS's for the 99 99 cars I have registered to see if there is some designation of color (more than likely hand written)

You have mine dont you?..??   :shruggy:

69CoronetRT

Quote from: 66FBCharger on February 01, 2010, 06:34:31 PM
So were the spring special colors all coded on the fender tag 99 99? How would a body shop know what the correct paint code was if they needed to do paint repairs?

It depends...What colors do you consider 'spring special'?

AFAIK

F6, V2 and K2 were always coded that way
Rallye Green could be 99, 97 or 97E depending on the plant and time of year.
Bahama Yellow/Butterscotch was always 99
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

69CoronetRT

QuoteYou're quite correct in that if you owned a 99 99 paint code car, there is no way to tell just by the fender tag (or even broadcast sheet, AFAIK) what color it was originally.  

I have a BS from a Belvedere built cop car that just codes 99 99 V02. I have a 99 99 Road Runner BS (414 SPD from STL) that also codes 97E (Rallye Green) where the V01 normally goes. I have a 97 97 (Rallye Green) A12 car from Lynch Road with nothing where the V01 goes. I think you'll find variations between plants but that's just a guess. Maybe these aren't the best examples to use since we know the color. Dave Watt at the A12 registry would be a good reference. I'd like to see how a 99 Butterscotch A12 codes.

After I checked some BS, I checked invoices to see if the color was listed on them. Even the invoices show 99 begging the question...how was the specific color communicated through the process? How did the ordering dealer indicate the color to the order processing center? How was the color communicated to the plant? How did the paint shop know what color to use if not via the BS?  :scratchchin:
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: PocketThunder on February 01, 2010, 09:18:38 PM

You have mine dont you?..??   :shruggy:

Crikies you're right I do.....nothing special on the BS.....just 99 for the roof & 99 for the body.
Also has the V09 special order paint style code

The part where there might be typed instructions (lower left) is missing though :scratchchin:

PS---did the guy ever find the fender tag?
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

PocketThunder

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on February 02, 2010, 10:52:39 AM
Quote from: PocketThunder on February 01, 2010, 09:18:38 PM

You have mine dont you?..??   :shruggy:

Crikies you're right I do.....nothing special on the BS.....just 99 for the roof & 99 for the body.
Also has the V09 special order paint style code

The part where there might be typed instructions (lower left) is missing though :scratchchin:

PS---did the guy ever find the fender tag?

He hasnt called or mailed it to me yet.  And i havent called him looking for it either.  After i get my engine pulled this month i'll send him a couple pictures of the progress and then call a few days later and ask about the fender tag again.  I dont think he is to motivated to dig through his garage though looking for it.  I should have helped him do it when i was there that day buying the car.   :-\

watt340

I mainly track the 1969 A12 cars, but have a pretty good list of Lynch Road cars in general.

ALL A12 cars that are Butterscotch/Bahama Yellow are coded 96 on the fender tag and Broadcast sheet.
97 paint code is Rallye Green on A12 Road Runners.
F6 Bright Green Metallic is A12 Super Bee only.
V2 Hemi Orange is A12 Super Bee only.
K2 Vitamin C Orange is A12 Road Runner only.
I have not run across any 99 paint code A12's.
If I missed anything, let me know.
Dave Watt

hemigeno

Dave, thanks for the input - youdaman on A12's for sure...   :bow:

With all the oddities and quirks of Lynch Road fender tags, they did do a better job of documenting the special colors than Hamtramck or St. Louis.  And you're right, F6 & V2 were supposed to be Dodge-only, K2 was supposed to be Plymouth only (in 1969, anyway).