News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Go-kart-Didn't know exactly where to put this.

Started by charger_cody, February 01, 2010, 12:01:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charger_cody

My and a buddy decided that we are going to build a little "drifting" go-kart. Anyone ever done this? We were thinking about looking for a street bike motor and put in on a go-kart frame. Anyone know a good brand or anything that wouldn't mind giving some tips?

Cody

motorcitydak

96 Dakota, custom everything 4x4, 5.7 HEMI
'68 charger project
[OO!!!!!!!!!OO]

Tilar

Funny you brought this up now, My one nephew has a friend that is selling a 1000cc engine off of a crotch rocket and I thought about buying it and putting it in a go-cart frame, OR a golf cart  :yesnod:

I built a go-cart once that had a 440 snowmobile engine in it... Sold it when the boys got big enough that I couldn't keep them from trying to start it.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

ChgrSteve67

You should be making one of these.
With a wagon full of beer behind it.

charger_cody

Haha no.... I was thinking about a go-kart that can go fast. With really good acceleration. I want to be able to do donuts in this thing. Or drift around corners.

Cody

DodgeByDave

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGG140jRzBs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhVhY_BAHJ0

I am looking into my crystal ball, and I see hurtness and broken bones in the future............................

(I used to race shifter sprinters)
III, we are everywhere

oldcarnut

When I was about 16yrs old, me and a friend built a go kart with a Honda 125cc 4 stroke motor in it.  If I remember right we had the clutch hooked up on the gas pedal side and the gas on the brake pedal with the T-shifter on the left side.  The brakes well ummm the wasn't any.  The cart tire sizes made the gearing so low you could down shift to a crawl.  The frame was extended in the rear to fit it in and for the sprockets/chain drive. It was pretty good engineering for kids after redoing the steering and framework.  Keep in mind that this was originally just a Grant City (Kmart type store) lawnmower eng. variety go-cart. We had a lot of fun with it in dirt roads and empty parking lots on Sunday afternoon back when stores used to be closed on Sundays.  Burnouts were even better after putting motor oil on the tires and my dads driveway. Then we got the idea of putting the bigger riding lawn mower back tires in the rear which made it kind of look like a drag funny car (kart).  Changed the whole handling of it.  Didn't slide or what you call drift much anymore and coming to a stop was a little more hairy.  One day of scooting down the street about 40mph a cement truck backed out of a driveway in front of me.  Since the braking wasn't that good--ok non existent--I had to make a hard left into a side street.  The tires wouldn't let it slide much until it hit the grass and after sliding sideways across a driveway with the rear tires going under the bumper of a Thunderbird parked there I came to a stop just behind a school bus sitting along the edge of the next house.  Glanced around to see who had seen me then got out to put the battery in that was thrown out of the tray to kick start it back up and get out of there.  Wasn't much longer after that we sold to an adult that later we heard had drove into a light pole.  Oh well, those were some stupid but fun kid stuff of the time.  Maybe I can dig an old picture of it up.

68coronetGLwannabe

I pointed to two old drunks sitting across the bar from us and told my friend
"That's us in 10 years".
He said "That's a mirror, dip-shit!

charger_cody

Quote from: oldcarnut on February 03, 2010, 10:12:46 AM
When I was about 16yrs old, me and a friend built a go kart with a Honda 125cc 4 stroke motor in it.  If I remember right we had the clutch hooked up on the gas pedal side and the gas on the brake pedal with the T-shifter on the left side.  The brakes well ummm the wasn't any.  The cart tire sizes made the gearing so low you could down shift to a crawl.  The frame was extended in the rear to fit it in and for the sprockets/chain drive. It was pretty good engineering for kids after redoing the steering and framework.  Keep in mind that this was originally just a Grant City (Kmart type store) lawnmower eng. variety go-cart. We had a lot of fun with it in dirt roads and empty parking lots on Sunday afternoon back when stores used to be closed on Sundays.  Burnouts were even better after putting motor oil on the tires and my dads driveway. Then we got the idea of putting the bigger riding lawn mower back tires in the rear which made it kind of look like a drag funny car (kart).  Changed the whole handling of it.  Didn't slide or what you call drift much anymore and coming to a stop was a little more hairy.  One day of scooting down the street about 40mph a cement truck backed out of a driveway in front of me.  Since the braking wasn't that good--ok non existent--I had to make a hard left into a side street.  The tires wouldn't let it slide much until it hit the grass and after sliding sideways across a driveway with the rear tires going under the bumper of a Thunderbird parked there I came to a stop just behind a school bus sitting along the edge of the next house.  Glanced around to see who had seen me then got out to put the battery in that was thrown out of the tray to kick start it back up and get out of there.  Wasn't much longer after that we sold to an adult that later we heard had drove into a light pole.  Oh well, those were some stupid but fun kid stuff of the time.  Maybe I can dig an old picture of it up.

That's great!!!! I want something like that. Instead I think I would perfer brakes. But if I can't have them htne oh well.  :hah:

Cody