News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Electroplating, zinc and clearcoating

Started by git, January 27, 2010, 09:30:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

git

Hi all, I'm getting some of my Aussie Charger's engine bay parts zinc plated. There will be a 50/50 mix of silver and gold zinc.

I don't want the zinc to oxidise and lose it's colour over time. One suggestion I heard was to clearcoat it to seal it.

I have some POR15 Glisten PC - will this look good or too glossy? Eastwood products aren't available in Australia, so I can't get a toughened 'hammer tough' satin/semi-gloss clear. I can get VHT clear / flameproof clear, but it's still going to be glossy, not satin.

Alternatively what about a good 2 pack clear with a flattening base to reduce the gloss? Will this last long in an engine bay, compared to the Glisten PC?

Running out of ideas here on what to do. Any advice on how to attack this would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Byron

roger440

Surely anyone doing plating will chromate the parts afterwards? That is all it needs.
1969 Dodge Charger RT/SE
1970 Plymouth Roadrunner - SOLD
2017 HSV Maloo
2003 Holden SS Ute
1970 Triumph 2000 Estate, fitted Rover V8
1961 Standard Atlas
1980 Triumph Dolomite Sprint
1974 Triumph Stag
2003 Subaru Forester