News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Custom arched brake shoes?

Started by 1BAD68, February 01, 2010, 08:55:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1BAD68

In the March issue of Hemmings Muscle Machines, there's an article about a A12 Bee that the owner says he had the stock 11" brake shoes custom arched and says "you will wonder why disc brakes were invented"
Has anyone here ever done or heard about that before?

richRTSE

I read that same thing and was also wondering if they were any good.  :shruggy: If they are, I'll just leave the old drums on my car and save a few bucks. Love that Superbee in the article. :2thumbs:

elacruze

Quote from: 1BAD68 on February 01, 2010, 08:55:52 AM
In the March issue of Hemmings Muscle Machines, there's an article about a A12 Bee that the owner says he had the stock 11" brake shoes custom arched and says "you will wonder why disc brakes were invented"
Has anyone here ever done or heard about that before?

Yes, done that.
What's done is either the shoes or the drum are machined so the radius matches over 100% of the shoe, giving much more contact area.
In truth, all you're doing is installing them new at about the same point they are half-worn. It works pretty well if done correctly but if the ends of the shoe are a little too high or not beveled, they can be very grabby.

Certainly they are not better than disc brakes.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

Charger-Bodie

Firm Feel has special lined shoes for the drum brakes. They are supposed to make a huge difference in stopping power. Thats what I have in my brakes for my current project,have yet to to how well they work. Reviews are great on them though.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Just 6T9 CHGR

These are supposed to be good as well....

Anything "Space Aged" has to be good no?? ;)

http://www.praisedynobrake.com/

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

1BAD68

Quote from: elacruze on February 01, 2010, 09:11:48 AM
Yes, done that.
What's done is either the shoes or the drum are machined so the radius matches over 100% of the shoe, giving much more contact area.
In truth, all you're doing is installing them new at about the same point they are half-worn. It works pretty well if done correctly but if the ends of the shoe are a little too high or not beveled, they can be very grabby.

Certainly they are not better than disc brakes.

What kind of improvement did you notice when you did it?

Ghoste

I don't think anyone who has driven a good set of 11 inch drums will ever argue their stopping power, it's like throwing out an anchor.  Do it two or three times in a row really hard though and then tell me you wonder why disc brakes were invented.
Granted most of us won't make several panic stops in a row, but brake fade was likely one of the big reasons for the move away from drums. IMO

elacruze

[/quote]

What kind of improvement did you notice when you did it?
[/quote]

Keep in mind that the initial 'new installation' is the only time when there is a noticeable difference.
I'm sure you've noticed that when you install new brake shoes, they are 'weak' or 'soft' for a couple hundred miles, and very much subject to fade. That's because the radius of the shoe is less than that of the drum, and the shoe contacts the drum near the center but not out to the ends-the contact patch of the shoe is 1/3 to 1/2 of the shoe length. As you drive and wear this smaller area, it enlarges as the shoe wears away and eventually equalizes to the drum giving a full contact. If you're racing with drum brakes, you can't wait for this natural wearing-in, so you have to match the drum and shoe radius before installation. As far as the 'feel', if the job is done properly the brakes will not have much of the initial break-in feel and will be firm and strong from the beginning.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

BigBlackDodge

Quote from: Ghoste on February 02, 2010, 10:02:39 AM
I don't think anyone who has driven a good set of 11 inch drums will ever argue their stopping power, it's like throwing out an anchor.  Do it two or three times in a row really hard though and then tell me you wonder why disc brakes were invented.
Granted most of us won't make several panic stops in a row, but brake fade was likely one of the big reasons for the move away from drums. IMO

I've always had issues with them going through large puddles................I learned at an early age to ride the break a bit going through them if you planned on stopping anytime soon! :o

BBD

Ghoste

I've found that more with discs than drums myself but neither one works particularly well under water does it.  :lol: