News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1971 4sp conversion

Started by raw201, January 21, 2010, 01:26:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

raw201

I'm in the process of restoring my '71 and would like to change from the auto to a manual (bucket seats no console).  I have the tranny, pedals and shifter rods.  I was wondering if anyone can supply with with a shopping list of all parts necessary for me to make this swap.  Thanks!!   :cheers:

rich4406bbl

I'm sure this list is not complete but at least it's a start. Other members will add things I might have missed. You'll need the bellhousing, bell housing ball stud w/washer, torque shaft (z-bar) ball stud mounting bracket (sits on top of the frame and is the attaching point for the frame ball stud, requires welding), frame ball stud w/nut and lock washer, clutch service pack (contains bushings, clips and other misc. hardware),the bar from the pedal to the z-bar, the bar from the z-bar to the clutch fork, clutch fork, firewall reinforcing plate, clutch, flywheel, release bearing, pilot bearing for the crank (hopefully it is drilled for the bearing), bell housing inspection cover, bell housing dust boot. Most of these parts are available from Year One, The Paddock or most other resto parts houses. Most of these parts are the same between the B and E-bodies so there is flexibilty in looking for the parts.

Troy

I wrote this a long time ago. It's primarily for 68-70 but most of the items are the same.
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,9234.msg110493.html#msg110493

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Nacho-RT74

tranny hum ( available at AMD )

if console wished just will need a console mod ( there are templates around to enlarge the cut below console for the tranny hump ), and the top plate insert.

if console is actually unexistant, brackest are also availabe at AMD
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

raw201

Thank you very much for the insight!   :2thumbs:

Any snags/suggestions for this swap that you may have encountered?

72sechargerman

I have this for Sale!
Here is a list of parts.

Pedals
firewall support bracket
pushrod [pedal to Z bar ]
Z bar with new nylon bushings
Frame pivot bracket
pivot balls
adjuster link [Zbar to fork ]
release fork
belhousing
clutch assbly (new but over ten years old no miles on it)
Flywheel [requires differnt crank bolts than flex plate ]7/16 x 1"
pilot bushing or brg
crossmember
floor hump
tranny
shifter mechanism & rods & levers
shift handle
clips to hold pushrod & adjuster to Z bar

raw201

Do you have a break down on price for each part and are they all used/new?