News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Replacing bolts with studs on main caps? Re-machining the block?

Started by Jonas_N, January 31, 2010, 05:24:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonas_N

Im going to use a girdle on my 440.
To use one i must replace my main cap bolts with studs.

On the 440source page, they say:
"If your block currently has bolts, it will need to be re-line honed because replacing bolts with studs will cause the main housing bores to distort slightly. "

I am a  newbie at this so exactly how much work is "re-line honed", can I do it myself?
Or if not, how much $ does usually a machine shop take to do this?

Thanks
/J

LeadfootBob

Has to be done at a machine shop, I asked around locally (north of stockholm) and most wanted 2000-2500kr for the job.
Proud member of the jack stand racing team since 1999.
'70 Charger 500: "Bronson", some kind of hillbilly hot rod in progress.
'89 Chevy Caprice 9C1: "it's got a cop motor..."

Jonas_N

Thanks.

I am in Uppsala.
Any machine shop you would recommend?

LeadfootBob

Had my last engine prep (balancing, turning down the crank mains) done at Ultra motors. Good work, decent prices. Åkes bil och motor seem good too, a bit closer for you as well :-)
www.ultramotors.se
www.akesbilmotor.se/
Proud member of the jack stand racing team since 1999.
'70 Charger 500: "Bronson", some kind of hillbilly hot rod in progress.
'89 Chevy Caprice 9C1: "it's got a cop motor..."

six-tee-nine

If your going with a girdle, then you probably are going for lots of horses too? If so it might be a clever to upgrade to billet main caps too. since you have to get the block re-line bored.

This might be a good upgrade :
http://www.bcrproducts.com/caps_and_girdle_system.html
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

Jonas_N

Quote from: six-tee-nine on January 31, 2010, 06:29:31 AM
If your going with a girdle, then you probably are going for lots of horses too? If so it might be a clever to upgrade to billet main caps too. since you have to get the block re-line bored.

This might be a good upgrade :
http://www.bcrproducts.com/caps_and_girdle_system.html

Not lots of horses, I just want a super stable bottom, Im aiming at 500-600 hp.

But, i thought you had to do alot more machine work if you swapped the main caps too = alot more expensive?  :scratchchin:

LeadfootBob: Thanks for the links. :cheers:

Rayzor

I did the arp mains on my 440, and checked the bores, yep they needed a line hone when torqued. I also had to grind clearences around the rear oil seal retainer as the studs nut hit it. If you dont get new caps, it would not hurt to have them magnafluxed for stress cracks.

Jonas_N

Thanks for the info.  :cheers:
Yeah, magnafluxing the caps would be a good idea.

But changing caps, I mean, line honing doesnt cost that much.
But I think I remember that line bore is very expensive? (Which I need to do if I change caps.)  :scratchchin:

six-tee-nine

Yes it might cost more, but on the otherhand you can safely run a 500 HP street engine without a girdle if you upgrade to billet main caps.
In that case you'll need a re-line bore, but you save some $$ on the girdle setup and a good one isn't cheap too......

Another thing to consider : running a girdle might be meaning you should shim your block up to give the oil pan the clearance it needs to the K-member.
That might get you into trouble for choosing a carb / spacer / air cleaner elements.......... to clear a stock hood
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...