News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Getting my grille ready

Started by Belgium R/T -68, January 30, 2010, 08:42:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Belgium R/T -68

It's time to get the grille ready since the fenders and hood are in place. The grilleframe is sandblasted and primed but I have to wait for some warmer wheather to
do the final sanding and painting. In the meantime I'm experimenting with the bezels and the headlightdoors. Sprayed the silver and used most of my christmasvacation
to mask of the silverpart to be able to spray the black. :eek2: Now I'm thinking of using flat clearcoat for protection, anybody did that? Shouldn't that make it easier
to keep it clean from flies and other insects or will it create a strange nonstock look? :scratchchin:

per
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

y3chargerrt

Per, Does your wife know what your using her ironing board for? 

Belgium R/T -68

Quote from: y3chargerrt on January 30, 2010, 09:07:23 AM
Per, Does your wife know what your using her ironing board for? 

Actually she's always asking me if I have seen her cleaningproducts and cloughs, especially nailpolishremover and stuff like that is good for cleaning autoparts. :yesnod:

Per

Silver R/T

Clear coat will give it gloss, you don't want gloss unless you don't care about keeping it original color. See if you can get some flat clear coat somewhere.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Belgium R/T -68

Quote from: Silver R/T on January 30, 2010, 11:58:49 AM
Clear coat will give it gloss, you don't want gloss unless you don't care about keeping it original color. See if you can get some flat clear coat somewhere.

Thanks, I ment flat. I don't want a glossy look.

Per

BBKNARF

Hey Per, I've seen your work no mater what you do it looks great. If you take a trip to Ontario, Canada give me a call maybe you can do mine.  :yesnod:
68 Charger, slowly in the works, 451 c.i. approx. 535 hp @ the flywheel, so far best time in the 1/4
11.21 @ 119 mph, full exhaust, stock suspension, 4:10s @ 3640 pounds.

six-tee-nine

Per,

One of the few parts i have already restored are my grill...... I decided not to use any clearcoat ofer the rest of the paint. It is hard to find a good flat clearcoat that does'nt change the look of the other color or wont start to shine up.....

2 solutions :

1) drive slow so you dont get flies onto the grill  :D :D
2) repaint grill every 2 years or so..... :slap:
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

Sixtyeight

Hi Per,

I didn't use clearcoat also, and it's still on for almost 5 years now...

Jeroen

Charger Registration of the Netherlands / www.charger.nl
1968 R/T Charger
1969 Base Charger

Belgium R/T -68

Just made a test on my headlightbezels with a flat clearcoat, the upper one has it. I can't see any difference so I guess it can't hurt. :scratchchin:

Per

Charger-Bodie

I used flat clear on mine too. Much more durable and easy to clean,mainly because you are not wearing the silver paint off.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Belgium R/T -68

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on January 31, 2010, 09:45:34 AM
I used flat clear on mine too. Much more durable and easy to clean,mainly because you are not wearing the silver paint off.

Just the thought I had aswell Brian. When I go for a full stockresto I don't want to redo things like grille, dash and other detailwork. Just a repaint
and some swapps in the enginebay.

Per

Belgium R/T -68

Anybody ever mounted the grilleframe on the car first and then the rest? Is it possible to reach everything like that? :scratchchin: The reason I ask is because
I'm always alone and then it's easier when things are lighter when you assemble it. :eek2:

Per

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Belgium R/T -68 on February 05, 2010, 02:45:07 PM
Anybody ever mounted the grilleframe on the car first and then the rest? Is it possible to reach everything like that? :scratchchin: The reason I ask is because
I'm always alone and then it's easier when things are lighter when you assemble it. :eek2:

Per

Assemble it first Per....It really isnt too bad for one guy to set in there,Ive done many times.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .

twodko

Hello per,

I'm currently working on my grille as well.
From what I've read its easier to install the entire grille assembly on the car. Put a couple layers of tape around the front fender edges and gently attach the grille. Some of the parts like the valance lights are much easier to install before the grille goes in. The bumper and braces can be installed as a unit too but tape off the valance's top edge with a couple layers of tape and carefully slide the bumper/braces in and bolt it up.

I know what you mean by working alone, however these are 2 tasks must be done with 2 people to avoid any damage to the paint. I'm having 2 friends help me with the grill so my hands will be free to line up the inner fender bolts. Good luck and let us know how you are doing it. Cheers

Tom
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Belgium R/T -68

Tom,
Do you mean that you mount the front valance before the grille? I removed mine before the grille was out and that was a big PITA. :eek2:

Per

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Belgium R/T -68 on February 06, 2010, 03:19:48 AM
Tom,
Do you mean that you mount the front valance before the grille? I removed mine before the grille was out and that was a big PITA. :eek2:

Per

The valance should be installed last,after the grille then the bumper,and finally the valance.

Belgium R/T -68

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on February 06, 2010, 01:52:07 PM
Quote from: Belgium R/T -68 on February 06, 2010, 03:19:48 AM
Tom,

Per

The valance should be installed last,after the grille then the bumper,and finally the valance.

Just what I thought. :2thumbs:

Per