News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

440 Exhaust Manifolds

Started by Needa68, January 21, 2010, 09:57:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Needa68

I have a 65 Chrysler that was upgraded from a 413 to a 440 at some point. I'm about to pull that engine, freshen it up then install it in a 68 Charger.

I know 440 exhaust manifolds used on trucks were different than those used on cars. That little bit of knowedge has caused me to wonder if the exhaust manifolds from the Chrysler (C-body) can be used on the same 440 engine in a 68 Charger.

Does anyone know the answer??

Thanks!
Drive fast, make the light.

The Mitchell & Mitchell 1968 Dodge Restorations

http://www.68dodgerestorations.com

daves68

I have exhaust manifolds from a 1976 Cordoba 400 big block and they fit just fine in my 68. Had to do minor fabrication at the connection as these have a tapered flange end as opposed to the flat flange that the year correct ones had.  Engine compartment fit was no problem. Very similar in profile and appearance as the high performance ones from 68, and WAY cheaper too.
Dave

b5blue

Sublime/Sixpack

Needa68 you haven't indicated exactly what manifolds are on the 440 now. Are they the original manifolds from the '65 Chrysler? If they are, I'm thinking they would be what most people refer to as "log" manifolds. I'm sure you'd want to upgrade to HP manifolds for your Charger.

If the existing manifolds on the 440 are from a later C-body (Example 1968-1970) and are HP the right side manifold would work on your Charger but the left side manifold would be different than a B-body HP manifold.

Does that help at all?

1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

daves68

Well, they do fit and  work just fine. Have been in there for nearly 1 year.  Don't confuse "look similar"  with "same as". Have some pics around here somewhere.

b5blue

Cordoba is not a C body is all I meant....  :shruggy:

daves68

You are right. Just pointing out some other options that will work acceptably well, look good, and don't cost a fortune. Repro manifolds are cool but when I saw the price I decided to skip the second home mortgage and go with the 'doba ones..  :cheers:

b5blue

I was lucky 15 years ago...got 69 HP type handed to me for 35.00!

John_Kunkel

The drivers side C body HP manifold takes a noticeable turn towards the frame at the outlet flange, I don't think it'll work in a B body.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Needa68

Thanks for the responses!

Subline/Sixpack makes a good point. I don't know exactly what manifolds are on the Chrysler. My guess is they are the manifolds that came with the original 413 engine but I won't know for certain until I find their cast numbers. 

From what I've been able to figure out both the 1968 383ci 4bbl V-8's and the 440 ci engines used the same exhaust manifolds. The left side is listed as 2843991, cast as 2843992 and the right side as 2806898 and cast as number 2806900. These same numbers were used in 1969.

I've also learned that the manifolds will be date coded. I'm going to look for those codes as well.

My thinking is that the odds of finding 68-69 BB manifolds on a 440ci engine that was transplanted into a 1965 Chrysler in 1984 are astronomical but I won't know until I do the research.

When I find out the casting numbers I'll provide an update. I'll also check as John suggested about the noticeable turn toward the frame at the output flange.

Again, thanks for the responses.  :icon_smile_big:

b5blue

Good luck I think I remember a fairly good section on manifolds on Year One's site, in their exhaust systems section. (may help)

Needa68

I promised to post what exhaust manifolds were on the 440 cid engine in our 65 Chrysler after doing a visual inspection. As I suspected the manifolds are those that came with the 413 cid engine that came in the Chrysler from the factory. Their casting numbers are 2532464 (passenger) and 2535629 (driver). Their design is slightly different and they look to be far less efficient than the HP versions used in 68 b-body vehicles but they look like they will fit in one. Since we are building a cruiser and not concerned about having matching numbers we have decided we will give them a try. Again thanks to everyone for your contributions to this thread.

Here is a picture of the driver side manifold.