News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

XP29H9C273905 - 69 Body on a 08 Frame - General Lee Converstion

Started by JoeyGowdy, January 28, 2010, 08:25:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SRT-68

Quote from: Sydmoe on December 13, 2010, 11:29:43 AM
Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on December 13, 2010, 11:18:19 AM
looks like I just got Volun-told.       

I know there is window alignment information in the FSM - let me look around - if we have to take the rears apart it's not that big of a deal -  i've done it in mine about...    4 times thus far       :2thumbs:

Well if there is specific factory info on the proper procedure, please do share!....I'd be interested.

I will take photos of the process and let you guys know what happens.

JoeyGowdy

I found the perfect project car for this build:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiMyh0Vv68k

The VIN is XP29H9C273905 a 4spd & HP engine for titling.
Sincerely, Joey Paul Gowdy

JoeyGowdy

We drove to Sheridan to pickup the project car:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d54Y7w51KuQ

JoeyGowdy

Arrived home and took a few walk around photos.

JoeyGowdy

(continued)

SRT-68

That looks like the perfect car for a graft! Well done Sir.

JoeyGowdy

We started the teardown prepwork.  Heated and freed the hubs from the brakes.  Daisy Duke was there supervising.  Rolled the project car off the trialer onto the carport awning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-GOVKQfbFw

JoeyGowdy

We removed the front and rear seats.  Vacuumed out the decrepid interior.  Took the torch to the rotten floor panels.  If unused will probably post the 4-Speed Shifter Tunnel Hump on eBay.

moparstuart

I could use the seat cores and the console mounting brackets
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Daytona R/T SE

You got a clutch/brake pedal set up in that thing you're not going to use ? :shruggy:

SRT-68

That floor shift steering column is worth some good money as well. You should be able to recover a bunch of your investment just in the old parts.

bull

Nice. Now the thread is titled "Rowdys 69 Body on 09 Frame Build" so it went from a question about the conversion to it being all about Joey Gowdy. :rotz: The tone will soon be changing from inquisitive interest to shocked head-scratching and/or confused irritation.

The70RT

What ever happened to the last conversion you were working on?
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

PocketThunder

Quote from: The70RT on December 30, 2010, 05:05:02 PM
What ever happened to the last conversion you were working on?

its gone Back to the Future!   :icon_smile_big:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Back N Black

bull

More likely it went Back to the Wrecking Yard.

Ghoste

OleHarleyRider

I never understand why someone would post anything on here just to get smart remarks.  :shruggy:
Love in Christ,
Terry & Kermie

bull

Quote from: joeysdad on December 30, 2010, 09:33:30 PM
I never understand why someone would post anything on here just to get smart remarks.  :shruggy:

Me neither. We should ask Joey.

SRT-68

elanmars

^I was curious...what's the general price on a modern hemi engine (be it the 5.7, 6.1 or whatever), what do you need as far as parts go for it/with it and about how much is it all to put in a car? figured you'd be one to have some sort of answer haha!
1969 Dodge Charger, pseudo General Lee., 1973 ratty Dodge Charger.

check out my photography: http://www.tomasraul.com
instagram: tomasraul
facebook: www.facebook.com/tomasraulphotography

SRT-68

Quote from: elanmars on April 22, 2011, 10:40:37 AM
^I was curious...what's the general price on a modern hemi engine (be it the 5.7, 6.1 or whatever), what do you need as far as parts go for it/with it and about how much is it all to put in a car? figured you'd be one to have some sort of answer haha!

For an A or B body a 5.7 and trans out of a truck is the easiest way to go about it. A 2005 ram drivetrain with , harness, pcm, throttle pedal and front driveshaft yoke can be had for $3k or less. The Ram trans has a slip yoke and the truck engines have high mounted throttle bodies and accessories making AC and air intake hookup easier. The engine mounts can be had from several sources or you can make your own. Exhaust on the cheap is to use '05 jeep manifolds but these have a small outlet. The LX platform car exhaust is a better choice but the steering column support must be cut and shortened. The steering shaft itself has to be welded and a u-joint must be used. Manual steering is pretty much a must. We have used the RMS altercation K frame with great success and you get power rack and pinion steering and lots of exhaust space.

The trans tunnel is too small for the Ram trans. The simplest method of making it fit is to cut the front of the tunnel where it meets the firewall and then slice the tunnel longways. Then bend the two halves apart and use a 3.5" filler panel. The structure of the crossmember that goes over the driveshaft has to be cut out and relocated.
The car engine and trans can be used but the transmission is a flange type output shaft and will require a carrier bearing.

SRT-68

The electrical only requires 3 relays and some cutting to get the setup to work with the mopar harness. A dakota, ram or concorde fuel pump will work and can be fitted into the tank. Corvette filters can be used with an walboro (sp) pump as well.

There is an adapter that lets you put a 727 behind a new hemi with the advantage of not having to cut anything but you do lose the overdrive. Using the 727 or a manual trans will require the PCM to be reflashed $250-$500.

The 6.1L hemi and the LX based engines have the accessories mounted low and the throttle body is on the front of the intake. This makes connecting AC a hassle but can be done. Alex (rollingthunder) may have some photos of his install.

6.1L hemi setups are around $7k-$9k.

I hope this helps. I can be reached at 310-218-2469 if you need more info. 
John

elanmars

thank you for the information, I highly appreciate it.
1969 Dodge Charger, pseudo General Lee., 1973 ratty Dodge Charger.

check out my photography: http://www.tomasraul.com
instagram: tomasraul
facebook: www.facebook.com/tomasraulphotography

Rolling_Thunder

The A/C compressor is mounted low on the 6.1L - the upshot is a overall cleaner look but if you choose to not run a battery in the engine bay then accessing the A/C fittings...      if you run a manual steering then you have quite a bit more room with the A/C compressor...       

The negatives of the 6.1L swap at the moment is no one makes a good fitting set of headers...     (TTIs don't fit very well)

The three relays you'll need are an ASD relay (Auto Shut Down), Fuel Pump Relay, and Electric Fan Relay...           

If you need any more info ask specifically what you are curious about...    Pete (autodynamics) has done this swap as well...    although he used an aftermarket harness the principals are all the same...     he has something like 10,000 miles on his swap.
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip