News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

XP29H9C273905 - 69 Body on a 08 Frame - General Lee Converstion

Started by JoeyGowdy, January 28, 2010, 08:25:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ponch ®

Quote from: SRT-68 on November 24, 2010, 12:37:40 PM
Quote from: Ponch ® on November 24, 2010, 12:25:44 PM
Hey John...do you plan to have the car at any upcoming local car events soon?

Hey German, I will be at the Toys for Tots meet in Huntington Beach on Dec 3rd. Is there any thing else going on that I don't know about? I do still need to come and measure your 3rd gen to get a conversion plan for those cars. Lets try to get together before Christmas.

Yeah, the huge Motor4Toys show in Woodland Hills is coming up on Dec. 5 (and right after that, CPW is participating in the Granada Hills Christmas parade - you'd be more than welcome to join us!).

The car is back home in the Valley after a year-long stay in Camarillo, so it should be less of a drive whenever you wanna come take a look at it.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

SRT-68

I should be able to make those. After the show on the 5th we could measure the charger.

Ponch ®

Quote from: SRT-68 on November 24, 2010, 01:05:33 PM
I should be able to make those. After the show on the 5th we could measure the charger.

:2thumbs:
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

bull

The wheelbase on a third gen. (115") is two inches shorter than a second gen. so you'll have to stretch one of those even more to fit the 120" LX platform.

Ponch has an LX and a donor third gen. that he can't get running so all the bases are covered. :D

Black Charger

I always thought that the LX Magnum was slightly longer than an LX Charger. Would it make a difference if a Charger or 300 chassis were used instead of the Magnum if someone wants to do a 3rd gen conversion?

Black Charger

Speaking of the 300, thiis has got me to thinking about a cool project. Since the 300 is a luxury car, I think that a 1974 Charger SE Brougham body dropped onto a 300 Chassis would  be the ultimate Charger luxury car, with that HEMI power to boot! The 300 is available as an SRT8 as well, and those are usually optioned out with all of the bells and whistles, so that would up the ante even more. What do you guys think?

HITMAN 149

my uncle had a 300 SRT8!!! omg that car was sweeet!!! that would be another good platform to use!!!
:cheers:
68 Charger R/T, SOLD =/ sniffle sniffle
01 BMW 740i SPORT  
01 Hot Rod Harley Dresser, SOLD =/ =/

SRT-68

All three LX cars share the same 120" wheelbase. You have to shorten the LX pan and move the front wheel openings forward to fit them together. On a third gen charger you would need to take 4.5" out of the LX pan instead of 2". Same amount of work. The nice part about the third gen is the wider body.

Ponch ®

Quote from: bull on November 25, 2010, 04:10:13 AM

Ponch has an LX and a donor third gen. that he can't get running so all the bases are covered. :D

see how you are? :rotz:

Quote from: SRT-68 on November 29, 2010, 11:28:35 AM
All three LX cars share the same 120" wheelbase. You have to shorten the LX pan and move the front wheel openings forward to fit them together. On a third gen charger you would need to take 4.5" out of the LX pan instead of 2". Same amount of work. The nice part about the third gen is the wider body.

So you see bull, sometimes it's not so much the length but the width that matters.

bull

Quote from: Ponch ® on November 29, 2010, 06:20:03 PM
Quote from: bull on November 25, 2010, 04:10:13 AM

see how you are? :rotz:

Quote from: SRT-68 on November 29, 2010, 11:28:35 AM

So you see bull, sometimes it's not so much the length but the width that matters.

Jus tryin' to help. :nana:

mauve66

Quote from: Ponch ® on November 29, 2010, 06:20:03 PM

yeah, but you have to have at least one of them........................
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

SRT-68

Hey Guys,
We are thinking of putting the SRT-68 up for sale. The price will be $45k OBO. I will have it at Spring Fling this year and I can email photos to prospective buyers. If you are local, pm me and come take a test drive.
Let me know what you think. I am open to partial trades.

bull

Perhaps you mentioned this previously but I haven't seen it; is this car registered as a 68 or an 07?

SRT-68

Quote from: bull on December 08, 2010, 06:35:58 PM
Perhaps you mentioned this previously but I haven't seen it; is this car registered as a 68 or an 07?

It is registered as a '68 and has all three '68 vin#s in place. It is registered as a salvage vehicle here in CA, but I didn't care because I have to use agreed value insurance anyway due to the cost to replace it. It is insured for $65k.

revshag

Don't know if this was mentioned, but I think it would be cool to be able to do the B-body "swap" onto an all-wheel drive equipped LX.

Chris

SRT-68

Quote from: revshag on December 08, 2010, 10:13:33 PM
Don't know if this was mentioned, but I think it would be cool to be able to do the B-body "swap" onto an all-wheel drive equipped LX.

Chris

The swap would be no harder with the AWD LX than the RWD ones. Wheel selection might be a problem.

bull

You know, thinking about this thread reminded me of some past arguments regarding Chrysler doing a retro Charger and how some people argued that the LX platform could not feasibly support a retro style body with the two-door design. Well I'm officially calling BS on that crap. Obviously it can be done, and has been by men who probably have little to no engineering experience, let alone college degrees.

Ghoste

Kind of like when Chrysler told Mr. Norm that it was impossible to put a 383 in a Dart?

bull

Quote from: Ghoste on December 11, 2010, 01:18:14 PM
Kind of like when Chrysler told Mr. Norm that it was impossible to put a 383 in a Dart?

Or a 426 Hemi in a Dart.

Black Charger

Quote from: SRT-68 on December 08, 2010, 04:02:10 PM
Hey Guys,
We are thinking of putting the SRT-68 up for sale. The price will be $45k OBO. I will have it at Spring Fling this year and I can email photos to prospective buyers. If you are local, pm me and come take a test drive.
Let me know what you think. I am open to partial trades.

If I may ask, why are you selling? Unless you plan to do another one that is more to your liking, a car like that would be hard to replace.

68X426

Quote from: Black Charger on December 11, 2010, 09:21:40 PM
why are you selling?

He's the world's most interesting man. But he can't adjust the quarter windows. :bawling:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,75940.0.html

(Joking! I love the car. It's so impressive what you accomplished :yesnod: )

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Blakcharger440

Hey SRT-68, how much does your charger weight at this time? Just wondering how much weight the conversion added over all.

jasonfromIKILLYA

I can't even read this whole thread.  It just pisses me off.  THIS is why I don't come here that often.  All of you are bitching about John making the car he wants yet half the people here made theirs into a General Lee clone.  Get off your high horses.  It's his car, he can make it however the hell he wants. 

If you have time to make a 12 page thread bitching about it, you might need a life.
"Great souls have always received violent opposition from mediocre minds" - Einstein

mauve66

i only count 8 pages and i think 95% of us think its pretty cool what he did............. :icon_smile_question:
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

bull

Quote from: jasonfromIKILLYA on December 12, 2010, 10:43:46 AM
I can't even read this whole thread.  It just pisses me off.  THIS is why I don't come here that often.  All of you are bitching about John making the car he wants yet half the people here made theirs into a General Lee clone.  Get off your high horses.  It's his car, he can make it however the hell he wants. 

If you have time to make a 12 page thread bitching about it, you might need a life.

You didn't read the whole thread and yet ALL of us are bitching? :coocoo: