News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

XP29H9C273905 - 69 Body on a 08 Frame - General Lee Converstion

Started by JoeyGowdy, January 28, 2010, 08:25:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dkn1997

Quote from: SRT-68 on November 20, 2010, 11:27:45 PM
The difference between a restore and a conversion is the level of technology. If you restore a charger you get a "new" '60s technology car. What looks to have been missed in this thread is what it would cost to update a '60s car. Either way you have to fix rust, do body work and so on to your charger and those costs are the same. The difference comes in to play if you want a pro-touring or restified type of car. The cost for updated suspension, big brakes, rack and pinion, AC and then engine and trans mods are quite high. Not to mention the fact that if you tear a wheel off of a car equipped with aftermarket suspension you find yourself waiting for new parts from a single source. If you tear the wheel off of a conversion car you can go to the dealer or hit the forums for used parts.
The $55k number comes from Plum floored based on what I have taught them and what they have learned from two other conversions they have done. They are working with AMD to help keep costs down.

Now for the guys who are willing to do the work themselves there are huge advantages. The bulk of the conversion is filling in the places where the two cars don't just fit. Once the cars are welded together the assembly process is quite simple. The end result is a 390-500 horse car that drives like a dream, can be serviced and repaired at any dealer and uses off of the shelf parts.

That is a point that was briefly touched on but not given it's due.  It's big money to update our cars to modern standards with all the stuff you mentioned. 

I'll stray a little and ask out loud if there is another donor out there, even non mopar, that would be easier to use?  Trust me, If I were doing this, I'd go mopar to mopar, but I gotta ask anyway.

RECHRGED

mauve66

Quote from: dads_69 on November 21, 2010, 04:29:50 AM
My reply to this topic, worth 2 cents, maybe.. Dodge *originally* NEVER built a 4 door charger, so why start now? Can you imagine a 2005 plus newer 4 door Mustang/ Corvette? Not.
I almost fell into the new dodge 4 door hemi, but thank goodness I lost out on the deal let alone sobered up.
Do I even own a charger/mopar now, no, but my point is, this ride that has been built on a new chassis is a waste of time and a joke, ugly car......
end of rant as some would say.......

i guess i'm not seeing were this is a 4 door charger.......... dude...............
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

SRT-68

QuoteThat would be fun, actually. I'd take that thing to a different dealer each month for service just to see their reaction when I say, "I need you to check the computer for fault codes, reset the ABS light and clean the fuel injectors on my 68 Charger." Huh? :o

The first few times I hit the dealer it was fun to spend 20 min with the service writer while he tried to get his head around what the car was. Once I had it out for a while it started to get a rep. We were in Palm Springs CA this weekend and talked with a salesman. When the conversion turned to what do we drive now I started telling him about the 68 and he said he had heard about the car from the service manager. That was fun.

Along those same lines when  I was driving back from sema I spanked a 2010 Camaro SS. Twice. Both times from a 85-90 mph running start. Both times he just faded away in my rearview. When we slowed down he yelled out "what motor is in that car?" I said a "Hemi" and he said "oh".  It was great.

SRT-68

Quote from: dads_69 on November 21, 2010, 04:29:50 AM
My reply to this topic, worth 2 cents, maybe.. Dodge *originally* NEVER built a 4 door charger, so why start now? Can you imagine a 2005 plus newer 4 door Mustang/ Corvette? Not.
I almost fell into the new dodge 4 door hemi, but thank goodness I lost out on the deal let alone sobered up.
Do I even own a charger/mopar now, no, but my point is, this ride that has been built on a new chassis is a waste of time and a joke, ugly car......
end of rant as some would say.......

I am not quite sure what the heck you are talking about. Where did you get the 4 door ideas from? I might add that if you think a '68 charger is an ugly car you may be in the wrong forum.

Ghoste

I think it's just a misunderstanding.  My take is that dads_69 thinks you are taking a 68 Charger and adding two doors to it.

SRT-68

Quote from: Ghoste on November 21, 2010, 11:09:48 AM
I think it's just a misunderstanding.  My take is that dads_69 thinks you are taking a 68 Charger and adding two doors to it.

Now THAT is something you would burn in mopar hell for.

ACUDANUT

"I'll stray a little and ask out loud if there is another donor out there, even non mopar, that would be easier to use?  Trust me, If I were doing this, I'd go mopar to mopar, but I gotta ask anyway."
No it would be a Mopar going to a Fiat. :D Or a Fiat going into a Mopar ?? :smilielol:

The70RT

Quote from: ACUDANUT on November 21, 2010, 11:40:48 AM
"I'll stray a little and ask out loud if there is another donor out there, even non mopar, that would be easier to use?  Trust me, If I were doing this, I'd go mopar to mopar, but I gotta ask anyway."
No it would be a Mopar going to a Fiat. :D Or a Fiat going into a Mopar ?? :smilielol:

I wonder if anyone has done a Challenger using the same technique as the Charger?  How about putting a Dart on a Mustang GT platform  :D
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Brock Samson

edited:
yeah,..  :shruggy:  :lol:
Well,..  I think it's a great looking Charger and I hope you get your "Finish Issues" sorted out.

SRT-68

QuoteI wonder if anyone has done a Challenger using the same technique as the Charger?  How about putting a Dart on a Mustang GT platform  :D

Plum floored is doing a cuda based on a shortened 08 charger platform.  I need to take my tape measure to the dodge dealer and see what will fit under a dart.

bull

Quote from: SRT-68 on November 21, 2010, 10:59:01 AM
Along those same lines when  I was driving back from sema I spanked a 2010 Camaro SS. Twice. Both times from a 85-90 mph running start. Both times he just faded away in my rearview. When we slowed down he yelled out "what motor is in that car?" I said a "Hemi" and he said "oh".  It was great.

:smilielol: He should have said, "Sweet!"

PrisonHack

That is one of the coolest projects I have ever seen. I remeber a few years ago a guy on one of the Mustang forums put a 65 fastback body on an '03 Cobra chassis. I love the idea. You get the cool classic outer shell and the far superior drivetrain and interior.  :cheers: :cheers:

Ponch ®

Quote from: SRT-68 on November 21, 2010, 11:13:17 AM
I think it's just a misunderstanding.  My take is that dads_69 thinks you are taking a 68 Charger and adding two doors to it.

I'd pay $55K and then some for that...just to see bull's reaction.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

HITMAN 149

AMAZING JOB!!!!  :2thumbs:
as im not a purist, and that was basically what i wanted to do to my 68 r/t (resto-modd it) just like NYC MIKE's mr angry & LI pete's overcharged!!!
and i agree w/ DKN... it frigggggin expensive to "modernize" our OLD cars!!! lol
i would deff consider this when im ready to buy another 68!!!!! BEST OF BOTH WORLDS!!!
:2thumbs: GREAT JOB  by both of them who did the conversions!!!!!
68 Charger R/T, SOLD =/ sniffle sniffle
01 BMW 740i SPORT  
01 Hot Rod Harley Dresser, SOLD =/ =/

dkn1997

I always disliked the new charger interior, specifically the dash....but I noticed that the car srt68 posted differs from the conversion pictured here: http://www.djscustommopars.ca/1968Charger.html

notice how the dash on srt's car goes straight across like a 68-70 and the other one looks bone stock new charger.  Is that an illusion or am I seeing it right?  either way, srt's interior looks really nice.  almost looks like the 2nd gen dash pad was grafted on the new charger dash.   maybe a small detail but it makes a huge difference... 

just thinking out loud again and I know it's not quite apples to apples... but as radical as this conversion seems as far as the scope of the project, remember when the car mags and everyone else started dropping modern motors into old musclecars compelte with sensors and working efi?  I remember thinking "what a huge job"   now that it's been done so may times and so much info is shared through the web, anyone can do it.  Yes, different skill set here, but as time goes on and more people undertake this type of thing, you could see people making specialty parts for this conversion, special patch panels, maybe even templates, braces and jigs to cut both cars, bolt together and then take to the welder (that's really pushing it now)  still...it's nice to dream that an average guy could take this on in the backyard in 10 years. 
RECHRGED

bull

Quote from: Ponch ® on November 23, 2010, 01:33:35 PM
I think it's just a misunderstanding.  My take is that dads_69 thinks you are taking a 68 Charger and adding two doors to it.

"I can't believe that dumbass, ponch, paid $55k trying to push my buttons and burn in Mopar hell." <<---- There's my reaction. I just saved you $55k, so, you're welcome.

HITMAN 149

DKN...
yea it looks like he did a 68 dash too!! yes from those pics it looks nicer than the newer charger dash!!
01 BMW 740i SPORT  

Ponch ®

Quote from: bull on November 23, 2010, 09:48:16 PM
Quote from: Ponch ® on November 23, 2010, 01:33:35 PM

"I can't believe that dumbass, ponch, paid $55k trying to push my buttons and burn in Mopar hell." <<---- There's my reaction. I just saved you $55k, so, you're welcome.

:haha:
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

SRT-68

Quote from: dkn1997 on November 23, 2010, 09:37:54 PM
I always disliked the new charger interior, specifically the dash....but I noticed that the car srt68 posted differs from the conversion pictured here: http://www.djscustommopars.ca/1968Charger.html

notice how the dash on srt's car goes straight across like a 68-70 and the other one looks bone stock new charger.  Is that an illusion or am I seeing it right?  either way, srt's interior looks really nice.  almost looks like the 2nd gen dash pad was grafted on the new charger dash.   maybe a small detail but it makes a huge difference... 

just thinking out loud again and I know it's not quite apples to apples... but as radical as this conversion seems as far as the scope of the project, remember when the car mags and everyone else started dropping modern motors into old musclecars compelte with sensors and working efi?  I remember thinking "what a huge job"   now that it's been done so may times and so much info is shared through the web, anyone can do it.  Yes, different skill set here, but as time goes on and more people undertake this type of thing, you could see people making specialty parts for this conversion, special patch panels, maybe even templates, braces and jigs to cut both cars, bolt together and then take to the welder (that's really pushing it now)  still...it's nice to dream that an average guy could take this on in the backyard in 10 years. 

I used the 68 dash structure with aluminium inserts made at Plum Floored. I have never liked the plastic dash of the new cars. Plus the peaked dash pad is part of the classic style of the 68.The instruments are from the 2007 but are mounted to the back of the alum dash with custom lexan plates and machined alum rings. This gives the illusion of seperate gauges. The center console is a modified 2007 part.

I fully intend to get a kit together so that the average joe with more dedication than money can duplicate this car at home. 70% of this task is the labor of the graft.

HITMAN 149

hey SRT....
do you have any interior pics?!?
:cheers:
01 BMW 740i SPORT  

SRT-68

Here are some interior shots. Not the best photos but they show the modified '68 dash.

HITMAN 149

WOW!!! AMAZING WORK!!! GREAT JOB!!!! :2thumbs:
geeez i gotta hit the lottery!!! lol
01 BMW 740i SPORT  

Ponch ®

Hey John...do you plan to have the car at any upcoming local car events soon?

SRT-68

Quote from: HITMAN 149 on November 24, 2010, 12:23:31 PM
WOW!!! AMAZING WORK!!! GREAT JOB!!!! :2thumbs:
geeez i gotta hit the lottery!!! lol

You don't have to win the lottery, you just have to be willing to hack up a few perfectly good cars. All of the work that was done on this car can be done in the driveway with some basic tools, some help from friends and a lot of time. I will try to get some better shots of the dash.

SRT-68

Quote from: Ponch ® on November 24, 2010, 12:25:44 PM
Hey John...do you plan to have the car at any upcoming local car events soon?

Hey German, I will be at the Toys for Tots meet in Huntington Beach on Dec 3rd. Is there any thing else going on that I don't know about? I do still need to come and measure your 3rd gen to get a conversion plan for those cars. Lets try to get together before Christmas.