News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

440 Timing questions

Started by rp23g7, January 24, 2010, 03:22:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rp23g7

Hey everyone.

I was tuning the car up this morning, i had not done anything since i got it in Dec, but replaced the points.

I replaced the plugs, wires looked ok, replaced the cap and rotor, and checked the timing.

I had never checked it before, the car starts fine, runs great, doesnt get hot etc.

We went on a little cruise yesterday and we were going up a hill and it was pinging a bit, could have been bad gas.

I put a timing light on it, with the vacume line plugged, kinda hard to see cause the fuel filter is in the way, but it looked like it was either right on the edge of the timing indicator 12 or some before.

Engine is a 440 out of a 70 Imperial, date code 1970 on the pad. 850 Holley, i dont have a Tach, but if i guessed it is idleing at 700 rpm or so.

Stock cam i believe, so i am assuming the timing is close to correct. The place i bought thee car didnt have paperwork from the previous owner.

Shoould it be that far retarded      

greenpigs

Do a search for intial timing that should help you. I run 15 'advanced' and have 35 total by 3000 rpm. Every engine is different and Ron and othes have given a much more in depth breakdown on all that is involved.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

b5blue

Since you have points do you have a dwell meter? It's good to check your gap setting that way, keep in mind 70 spec is just a start point as todays gas is not the same. Try taking 2* out of timing and see if that helps pinging go away.  :scratchchin:

rp23g7

Quote from: b5blue on January 29, 2010, 09:13:08 AM
Since you have points do you have a dwell meter? It's good to check your gap setting that way, keep in mind 70 spec is just a start point as todays gas is not the same. Try taking 2* out of timing and see if that helps pinging go away.  :scratchchin:

Dont have one yet, i may go pick one up along with a tach today.  2 more degrees advance or retard?  I am probably picking up a electronic kit here soon.  I hate points.

b5blue

Knock or ping retard, I'm just finding some here use "Sea Foam" to de-carbonize there motors. You may want to look into that as carbon build up can raise compression and that could theoretically make it ping. Points are a pain but so simple to maintain sometimes I miss them. Look into a new Mopar Performance system ECU upgrade, Firecore wires and X5 NKG plugs. I would bet that would pep things up nicely.  :2thumbs:

rp23g7

Quote from: b5blue on January 29, 2010, 01:02:36 PM
Knock or ping retard, I'm just finding some here use "Sea Foam" to de-carbonize there motors. You may want to look into that as carbon build up can raise compression and that could theoretically make it ping. Points are a pain but so simple to maintain sometimes I miss them. Look into a new Mopar Performance system ECU upgrade, Firecore wires and X5 NKG plugs. I would bet that would pep things up nicely.  :2thumbs:

I was on ebay last night, i forgot the brand but they have a Dist. box and plug wire kit for $145.  I will check later and see what kind it was and see what everyone thinks.

I used to use water on my 64 Chrysler's 383.  Used about a quart and oy was there a big black mark on the driveway when i was done.  Made the engine run way better, made it sound really different too.

I hydro locked it once, poured to much in and it died.  Had to take the plugs out and crank it out.  OOPS

b5blue

I saw them and thought will they be around next year?  :scratchchin:

rp23g7

One more dumb timing question. I retimed the 440, set at about 10-12 BTDC, but was i supposed to have it in Neutral or park?

No more pinging, a new Camaro lost on my "after timing ping test" test drive.

greenpigs

1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

b5blue