News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

For the Aussies: What the Heck Kinda' Charger Is This?!

Started by Brock Samson, January 26, 2010, 06:49:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brock Samson

UFO

The top photo is typical valiant charger that is wearing a custom bra( see licence plate).

Magnumcharger

Quote from: UFO on January 26, 2010, 08:26:33 PM
The top photo is typical valiant charger that is wearing a custom bra( see licence plate).

Or as they call it "down-under" a CHAZWAZZLE.
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

mikesbbody

The bottom one is a Aussie 2 door Valiant CH called the Chrysler H.T released in 71 not sure what year that one is though.

loudmouthaussie

aussie chargers suck imho  :yesnod:

didnt even come out as a v8 untill after emissions control so were slower than the early six pot hemis  :brickwall:
1970 PLYMOUTH SUPERBIRD. 440/6BBL/BENCH/AUTO/VITAMIN C.
1979 FORD RANCHERO GT 351.
1960 AUSTIN HEALEY MK1 BUGEYE SPRITE 1275/4 SPEED.

mikesbbody

Quote from: loudmouthaussie on January 27, 2010, 01:21:45 AM
aussie chargers suck imho  :yesnod:

didnt even come out as a v8 untill after emissions control so were slower than the early six pot hemis  :brickwall:

I'm not a fan of them either to be honest  :Twocents: and to call that six a Hemi... :brickwall:

loudmouthaussie

well they were hemis in design but your right they werent any 426  :eek2:

they also had slant 6's

chrysler guys here brag about havin factory hemi six cars  :smilielol:

Mike DC

Weren't a few of those used in the first two Mad Max movies?

mikesbbody

If you mean the car Mel Gibson drove then no, that was a Ford falcon (correct me if I'm worng anyone) Aussie FF. But it's highly likely there were a few Aussie Mopars in those movies in fact I'm pretty sure there were.

loudmouthaussie

dont remember any mopars in it. been a while since i saw it tho.

your right max drove a modified ford

the nightrider (who i met in my local pub back in 95) drove a HQ monaro (GM holden)

and they wrecked a 59 bel air (!)  :icon_smile_angry:

aussiemuscle

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on January 27, 2010, 01:38:50 AM
Weren't a few of those used in the first two Mad Max movies?
none in the first movie, two in the second, both vermin (bad guys). one was a charger (grey with red stripe), the other was valiant sedan (green one with the gun in back).

Quote from: mikesbbodyand to call that six a Hemi...
sure it rips on the mystique of the usa hemi, but back then chrysler didn't want to give us any v8, let alone giving us access to a true hemi. they didn't release a v8 model (and a 318 at that) until 1971. so, its chrysler's fault. (ford and GM introduced v8s in 1967-8)

as for it being a six, at least it was the fastest six available (and also the biggest displacement six available).

loudmouthaussie

eeeeerrrrr wasnt valiant the first with a v8 in 65 followed by ford in 67 then holden in 68????????????????????????????????

THAT's why i never understood the hemi 6

hemi 6 was strong engine though probably a power to weight thing. it was all about winning bathurst back then  :scratchchin:

loudmouthaussie

got this from history of chrysler/valiant in Oz website

"The AP6, released in March 1965, brought self-adjusting brakes and the introduction of the American 273 V8 (The engine used in the American Barracuda) as an option. Gone was the push button auto, replaced with a lever mounted on the column. The Valiant Wayfarer utility vehicle, based on the sedan, was also introduced."

Mike DC

I was thinking of the "Road Warrior" scene when that gray car jumped a pile of stuff and ended up crashing in the moat outside the good guys' fort.  The trunk opening & the rear window opening were joined into one big hole and there was a bad guy with a gun perched in there. 

DodgeByDave

All that you ever wanted to know but was afraid to ask about the Mad Max Cars:

http://www.madmaxmovies.com/

QuoteI was thinking of the "Road Warrior" scene when that gray car jumped a pile of stuff and ended up crashing in the moat outside the good guys' fort.  The trunk opening & the rear window opening were joined into one big hole and there was a bad guy with a gun perched in there.

QuoteCar with the dart gun in the rear, and a bat painted on the bonnet / hood
1973 Valiant VH coupe, with either a 318 or 360 engine. Apparently it is a Pontiac GTO front

III, we are everywhere

dodgey68

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on January 28, 2010, 05:01:21 AM

I was thinking of the "Road Warrior" scene when that gray car jumped a pile of stuff and ended up crashing in the moat outside the good guys' fort.  The trunk opening & the rear window opening were joined into one big hole and there was a bad guy with a gun perched in there. 

yer that was a vh? 2door hard top, valiant,, was!!
when all you own is a hammer, every job  resembles a nail.

bull

Here's a nice shot of one of those Aussie Chrysler Centuras in a four door.

http://www.valiant.org/centura.html

doctor4766

Never been a fan of the Centura myself, although have seen plenty fitted with the 265 and they certainly p1ss along. Power to weight thing ya know.
The 265 in my 73 VJ Charger should pull fairly well with the factory 4 speed behind it and if it don't, there's always the triple weber 6 pack option to be explored.......

Gotta love a '69

C_stripes

I used to deal with a guy named Sid that was from Australia. He claimed to be a former race mechanic down under and I will say that he has some sweet American Mopars now including a FJ5 70 Coronet R/T and a FC7 70 Challenger R/T. He told me some tricks they do to the Aussy HEMI six. He told me that you would bore them out and use Chevy 327 pistons. for added compression. Don't know if thats true or not. But he told me that they were crazy little cars. I would love to have one personally.
I'm smarter than I act, But I don't act smarter than I am.

Bob T

Yeah bull, the Centura were a sort of hybrid offshoot with viva/ avenger sort of thing with a 245 in them, they sort of never really had the appeal of the Chargers and pretty much dwindeled away after 1 or 2  models

Quote from: C_stripes on August 02, 2010, 08:51:05 PM
I used to deal with a guy named Sid that was from Australia. He claimed to be a former race mechanic down under and I will say that he has some sweet American Mopars now including a FJ5 70 Coronet R/T and a FC7 70 Challenger R/T. He told me some tricks they do to the Aussy HEMI six. He told me that you would bore them out and use Chevy 327 pistons. for added compression. Don't know if thats true or not. But he told me that they were crazy little cars. I would love to have one personally.

Yep, true. I had my R/T Valiant Charger bored out to 4'' , with 308 pistons ,  last bore out by that stage, made around 320hp flywheel and did a 14.1 best with a 6pk and 4spd. They go alright  . I like em  :2thumbs:
A guy in another club has a green VG Pacer sedan, more of a track car than anything else, he is consistently popping off 13.3 with a 4spd & 4bbl.
Another guy I know used to have a drag only Charger with a Turbo 265 that would do 9.90's. But it blew the intercooler off in the dyno room and lunched itself at around the 500 mark. Pretty stout
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

aussie daytona

come on load mouth aussie,our chargers werent that bad,we all love our american muscle but please dont bag out our aussie six packs,great cars and that sixpack hemi was developed with a lot of thought and research,was still the fastest six cylinder car over the quarter for a lot of years in e49 version...as for old vince gil,aka the night rider in mad max 1...ive also met the man in a pub,long drunken afternoon with a really cool aussie actor..funny thing he told me he has never had a drivers license or owned a car??

SFRT

Always Drive Responsibly

Uploaded with ImageShack.us