News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

ignition system???

Started by speedfreak68, January 23, 2010, 10:45:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

speedfreak68

I'm looking at the pertronix ignition system right now for my 451 in my charger. Currently I have nothing... the stock distributor got bent at school somehow...nobody knows...and now I'm looking for a complete system. Heres the one that I was looking at: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PNX-COMBOSBMB/
If you know of a kit that would work better I would like to know what you would recommend.
Thanks
Martin  :cheers:

speedfreak68

Another one that I was was thinking was one of the DUI systems... any input guys?

TylerCharger69

68X426

:Twocents: MSD works, readily available, tons of tech knowledge everywhere. Why not MSD?

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

71383bee

71 - FC7 383 Super Bee

R2

MSD with a "stock" distributor

speedfreak68

Thanks for the replies guys! As far as the MSD Distributor which would be the best one? Would the 8386 be a good distributor. Basicly I don't really even know what i'm looking for... any help is appreciated. I don't have anything for this engine so I'm starting from square one...
Thanks

b5blue

What ever you do don't bother with a parts store re man. they are crap. I'm really liking my new Mopar Performance one (169.00)

R2

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DCC-3690432/

This is the MP distributor alone,,,,,($161)

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DCC-3690428/

This is the distributor and the orange ECU ($217)

The MSD distributor alone is $363 ?? YIKES,,,,,,,,,,

The MSD 6al box is $197.....

I think buying the MP kit (dist and ecu) might be the cheapest,,,,,,
Next option would be buying a MP dist alone,,,and upgrading to a MSD 6al box,,,,,,
Next would be going big,,,,and get the MSD dist and MSD box,,, $$

I run the MP dist and MSD 6AL and have no issues.....

I would try and find a USED MP distributor,,,they are easy to rebuild,,work on,,,etc,,,,and you can find them cheap....I wouldnt do a MSD distributor,,,unless you got money to burn,,,,
The MSD box is nice,,,i like it much better than the orange box ecu,,,,but either would "work" ok on the street.

hope this helps,,,,,

Doug

speedfreak68

Quote from: R2 on January 24, 2010, 02:27:26 PM
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DCC-3690432/

This is the MP distributor alone,,,,,($161)

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DCC-3690428/

This is the distributor and the orange ECU ($217)

The MSD distributor alone is $363 ?? YIKES,,,,,,,,,,

The MSD 6al box is $197.....

I think buying the MP kit (dist and ecu) might be the cheapest,,,,,,
Next option would be buying a MP dist alone,,,and upgrading to a MSD 6al box,,,,,,
Next would be going big,,,,and get the MSD dist and MSD box,,, $$

I run the MP dist and MSD 6AL and have no issues.....

I would try and find a USED MP distributor,,,they are easy to rebuild,,work on,,,etc,,,,and you can find them cheap....I wouldnt do a MSD distributor,,,unless you got money to burn,,,,
The MSD box is nice,,,i like it much better than the orange box ecu,,,,but either would "work" ok on the street.

hope this helps,,,,,

Doug

Ok so this is what I'm understanding. The MP distributer with this 6al http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MSD-6420/ and then add this coil http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MSD-8203/?rtype=10 and I'll be set to go!!
Thanks alot!!
Martin

R2

Martin, that is what i run now,,,,, (MP dist,,,,MSD 6al,,,and blaster II coil)

I had the FBO,,,,had major problems,,,,

I had the orange and chrome box,,,,,,kept smoking boxes.....

Now the MSD,,,,and have no regrets,,,,,,been in the car for several years...........

The MSD distributor is NICE,,,but pricey,,,,,

You can run the MP dist without much issue....

You SHOULD "curve" it when you get it,,,ie,,,adjust the initial and total timing,,,plates,,,springs,,etc,,,,pretty easy to do,,,,would be happy to walk you thru it,,,,this way it will be set up correctly,,,,it might be "close" off the shelf,,,,but is easy enough to check....

hope this helps.

Doug
:2thumbs:

R2

one more thing,,,,try and think where you want to mount the box,,,,,
I mounted mine INSIDE the car,,,under the heater box (near the glove box),,,so it is hidden,,,,away from engine heat,,moisture,,etc,,,
I ran the wires up thru the firewall,,,very stealth,,,,turned out great....
not a fan of mounting them inside the engine bay.......

:coolgleamA:

speedfreak68

Hey thanks alot for the help!! I'm getting a loan to get everything for the engine...I'm really trying to get this thing going prior to the senior drive through here at school. I never thought about mounting the msd box in the interrior of the car..Thats a really good idea!! Thanks for everything  :cheers: !!

71383bee

I've been running Don's FBO kit with ZERO problems for about 4 years now... :shruggy:
71 - FC7 383 Super Bee

R2

71383,,,this was my experience with FBO,,,,went thru several ballast resistors,,,,and 2 boxes,,,,finally gave up,,,that was several years ago,,,,maybe things are better now,,,, :scratchchin:
I know other people that run them and do well also..... :2thumbs:

:cheers:

71383bee

I hear ya...I have heard of other woes too.  I think Don had a bad batch for awhile.  I got one of his earliest sets.
71 - FC7 383 Super Bee

Troy

Has anyone tried the MSD "Street Fire" electronic ignition? It's cheaper than the 6 and 7 but can still be had with a rev limiter. I had thought about using it with a Blaster II coil and Mopar distributor. The guy who recommended it was using a Pro Comp distributor but I've read even less about those than the ignition box.

I have the full Mopar electronic ignition kit in my automatic R/T and have been really happy with it. I'd like some sort of rev limiter in the 4-speed car though.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

R2

Troy,
MSD does make a seperate rev limiter,,,i used to run one,,,and had it wired in with chrome box,,,,,got rid of it all when i went to the 6AL.

Not familiar with the street fire,,,,,,,,,

mopar_nut_440_6

Quote from: R2 on January 24, 2010, 08:29:00 PM
one more thing,,,,try and think where you want to mount the box,,,,,
I mounted mine INSIDE the car,,,under the heater box (near the glove box),,,so it is hidden,,,,away from engine heat,,moisture,,etc,,,
I ran the wires up thru the firewall,,,very stealth,,,,turned out great....
not a fan of mounting them inside the engine bay.......

:coolgleamA:

Do you have any pictures of how you ran the wiring as o also will need to mount my box in the passenger compartment so I can get at the rev limiter chips.
1968 Charger R/T 440 
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 680 HP Cummins with attitude

R2

here ya go mopar nut,,,,

i mounted it so i could keep access to the rev limit chip,,,,which you can see on the bottom.

You can just see the bottom of the box from outside of the car,,,,,( first 2 shots ),,,,the last shot is leaning down,,,,at ground level....

Doug