News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Header bolt ?

Started by raw201, January 26, 2010, 12:27:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

raw201

Not sure if this is a repost........apologies if it is! 

I'm nearly ready to pull my 440 and after looking around it seems as though one of the header bolts will be tricky to remove.  Since this is my first mopar restoration I'm not well versed with charger quirks!  ;D  I've attached a pic of my concern...........any advice on how to remove this bolt?  Thanks very much!!  :2thumbs:

Rich

R2

Couple options,,,,,
(i have removed my motor in the race car several times,,,this year alone,,,and this is always a pain),,,always difficult to get to the bolt,,,etc,,,
this is what i have done....

1) spray it with some WD40 (or something similar)

2) "make" or modify a open end wrench,,,,,,i took a spare wrench,,,and ground it down to make the sides smaller,,,,so it would fit on the header bolt with more clearance,,,,i then use this wrench everytime for the headers,,,works great,,,,

3) the other thing that helps me,,,is to remove the valve cover,,,,,this will/may give you some more clearance to get at the header bolt,,,without running into the valve cover,,,,or help approach it from another angle,,,,

4),,,if you cant get it to budge,,,,,you could apply some heat,,,eg,,a small propane torch,,,being careful obviously,,,,,but it will help loosen things up....

good luck.

Doug
:2thumbs:

BEFORE<,,,

AFTER

SeattleCharger

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

raw201

Thanks Doug! Sounds like a plan.......I'm sure that'll get me through it!  :2thumbs:

Appreciate the assistance!   :cheers:

69charger440

I have the same setup!! I didnt cut a wrench. You should be able to get a wrench on it, just make sure it is the last bolt you take off! And then side the header off as you loosen the nut!!!
1969 Charger 540 Blown Hemi 1000HP, 69 Road Runner 500 Stroker 665 HP

R2

well ? did it work ?   :popcrn: :2thumbs:

b5blue

I was not re-using my headers so I just saw-z-all ed mine out of the way.

oldrock

Ill just mention you can get the special header bolts with smaller heads that are easier to access. That and some high temp anti-seize on the threads makes a world of difference.

b5blue

I was going to point out on a big block the exhaust bolts go into water jacket of the heads so your going to get coolant coming out of them. (and new bolts need sealant on the threads going in.)

raw201

Thanks again for the suggestions!  :cheers:  I plan to pull it on Presidents Day weekend, that is unless the better half has something else planned!  :yesnod: