News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Sharing/Opinion time-has your missus ever given you grief about your Charger?

Started by elanmars, January 25, 2010, 11:39:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PocketThunder

She doesnt look like the nagging type..?...  :shruggy:

I agree with everyone else.  Keep the car.   :yesnod:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Back N Black

If you can afford to hold on to the car, keep it. If you family has to do without because of the car get rid of it.  :Twocents:

Hemidoug

My first long term girlfriend (10 years) gave me grief about my car......still had the car when I met my wife.

Took the wife (then girlfriend) for a ride in the car....she asked me what happened in my last relationship. I told her my former girlfriend gave me an ultimatum...her or the car.....I didn't have explain anything else after that......and yes, I still have both.

I told her when we got married she had a choice.....cars or bars....she chose wisely.  :icon_smile_big:
71 R/T 440 6pak, 4spd Mr Norms GSD

Belgium R/T -68

Try to get her involved, let her do some work on the car. My wife laid the vinylroof on my charger, since then she always takes her friends
to the garage showing them how great it looks.  :yesnod: Most women has skills with interiorstuff and stripes for example, asking them for assistance
makes them moore interested in the project and understanding about time and cost.

Per
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

451-74Charger

I must have the BEST WIFE in the world then.
Mine told me I am NOT ALLOWED to sell the Charger.
She even buys it (me) gifts on Valentines day, like plugs, starter, fenders etc.
It hasnt left the garage in 9 years, and hasnt had a wrench turned on it in 8.
It just sits currently. but before you all start shouting at me, the last time I was in a position to start on it, we found out we were expecting our son. Well, its getting to that point again where I can start working on it, so I guess ill start buying the daipers now..lol

Anyway, if you can store it, do so. I once got rid of a car because the gf insisted, eventually, i ended up getting rid of the gf and regretting parting with the car.

b5blue

Look up "post part em depression" and baby blues. She may be feeling overwhelmed. Give her baby breaks so she can go goof off without worrying about the little one. You got family around to help also? You have a hobby (the car) does she? If the car is your daily driver it can't be an issue if it's not falling apart or unreliable. You may be unconsciously fiddling about on the car when she wants your focus now to be the baby. Men tend to be logical and women emotional, here's a a way to approach it, tell her your concerned and ask for how she feels (not thinks, feels) let her vent and keep her and the baby the center of your attention. Sooner or later she will get sick of your attention and be telling you to go play with your car.  :2thumbs:  

TylerCharger69

It's simple......here's a scenario......woman says..."Is that all you intend to do is work on that car?"......or....."All you care about is that car!".....well.....just respond by saying...."Well....would you rather have me out getting drunk and chasin' women?".......What can she say then!!

Tilar

Quote from: 451-74Charger on January 26, 2010, 11:16:45 AM
I once got rid of a car because the gf insisted, eventually, i ended up getting rid of the gf and regretting parting with the car.

I did the same thing only mine was a wife at the time. She wanted a different car and talked me into trading a 72 SE Brougham that I had just painted for a 1985 LaBaron Convertible.  :brickwall: I should have got rid of that one sooner.. The wife, not the car. I still have that POS Labaron too. Busted block with 77k miles on it.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

Johnny SixPack

Quote from: Tilar on January 26, 2010, 05:07:09 AM

Here's a small test, Take her and your dog, Put them both in the trunk of the car and go down and get a 6 pack. When you get back, Open the trunk and see which one of them is happy to see you.  :D

This get's my vote for post of the month.  :smilielol: :cheers:

I'd take that test, but only if you're paying for bail and my attorney fees.  :D :icon_smile_big:
Johnny's Herd:
'69 Charger SE, '70 Charger R/T SE 496 Six Pack, '72 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron, '74 International Scout II, '85 Ford F-250 Diesel, '97 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

"If its got tits or tires, you're going to have trouble with it." - Unknown

Got Dodge Fever? There's only one cure.....Charger!

66FBCharger

I would keep the car. Put it aside if necessary until you have the time and finances to work on it.
I agree with people who have posted here. Get her involved. Take her to a cruise night or car show. You can take the baby too if you get a car seat.
When I hear stories about wives, it makes me appreciate mine. Mine loves that I am involved with cars. She was married to a drunk and never knew where he was. She says that she always knows where I am (in the garage). The kids love to go to cruise nights and car shows. It is something we can all enjoy and do as a family. In fact, we bought my wife a 73 Cuda 340 4 speed a year ago. We put a baby seat in it as soon as we got it and put our newborn ( at the time) in it and we all went to cruise nights and shows.
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

Cooter

I told the wife when I met her That if she could put up with ME she had over 75% of the battle won..The rest was my cars...They were there BEFORE her and will be there after she's gone..I don't cheat on her, beat on her, Do drugs, Not a drunk, And I work for a living...That's as close to that  "Night in Shining armor" you gonna get..If the woman TRULEY loves you, she wouldn't ask you to SELL it, she'd only be understanding when you put it on the back burner and don't spend any money on it for years...

I just simply cannot feel bad for anybody that lets the fear of being alone cause them to sell their rides to please a female...I don't ask mine to sell off what makes HER happy, she ain't gonna ask me to sell what makes ME happy either..It's a 50/50 thing...The only sad part here is there's a kid in the middle of all this...If this is any indication of what LIFE will be like with this female, then you do the math....IMO, they have a name for Females like that...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

89MOPAR

Quote from: defiance on January 26, 2010, 08:06:01 AM
Of course she thinks its a money pit and a waste, but she's never made a single serious complaint.  In fact I was almost to the point of getting rid of it a while back and she talked me down, pointing out that if I did it, I'd regret it.  My wife and I have a really great financial arrangement, and as a result, fights about money just really don't happen.  Basically, we're a two-income household, so we calculate what percent of the income we each contribute, then we contribute that percent of the monthly expenses (bills, house, food, gas, savings, everything).  What's left of mine is mine, and what's left of hers is hers - NO questions asked.  If I want to spend it on the car, whatever; it's mine.

Great advice above !

My wife and I do something similar.  I have leftover money after contributing to "family fund" and so does she. She makes her car payment and i make mine.  If i want to buy a car part and i have cash i do. if she wants to get some "really cute" baby clothes , or something for herself with her money she does .  But first we put the money into the fund that pays the bills. Therefore we aren't late, and don't use credit cards/ carry a balance.  BUDGET !   Get together, figure out what your REAL expenses are over a period of a few months.  I'm talking house bills, loans, restaurants, beer, gas, everything.  You'll see how much you might waste each month, and can apply that money towards your house savings.  You have to be honest about your spending or it won't work.  But it will save you from so many fights when you are on the same page.

BUDGET means you say-BEFORE the month starts-example-  " we have $2000 net income for Feb.---  $1000 for rent, $200 utilities, $300 food, $100 gas, $200 saving toward house, and $100 each for fun money."  ANd then you live by that budget.  You want the chrome muffler bearing, ok, then you don't buy McDonalds+ triple latte 3 times this week.

If you are living with your mommy or hers, quit spending on the car, and rent your own place !!

Buy a car seat for your car.  Dude, i like driving around, just me and the kid, go to store or whatever. Plus it gives babys mom a break. Which no matter what you think, as a new mom, she needs one.

Make her a deal, one that you keep. Something like- "I will not have the car painted until we've saved 10% toward a house, bought it , and lived there for a year. -or- I won't spend more than XXX dollars a month on the car, unless it absolutley needs it. "    However she should give up something reasonable also.  it's called compromise.  15 years from now, you'll be wondering how you got so old and why the "hotties" don't look at you anymore.  It's then that you'll truly appreciate having a loyal wife and charger.
77 Ram-Charger SE factory 440 'Macho' package
03 Ram Hemi 4x4 Pickup
Noble M400
72 Satellite Sebring Plus +

bull

Well, you two are in this together so I think you both need to come up with a plan together rather than compete with each other. Women get very protective of their kids and it seems your wife sees the Charger as a threat to the financial security of the family. A financial plan she agrees to that's designed to cover all the bases would probably reassure her that your no. 1 priority is the family but that there's room for hobbies too. Basically she needs to know that you're not going to let the fridge go empty and the electricity be shut off because you're buying Charger parts whenever you feel like it. Short answer: put together a budget where everybody wins.

elacruze

Quote from: skip68 on January 26, 2010, 12:30:33 AM
Just tell her you're keeping the car and that's it.    :RantExplode:    I can tell this is going to just eat at you for a long time if you do sell.   If you do get rid of it, when do you think she will let you get another one ?   NEVER...  She won't leave you because you're keeping your car.  It might get cold on the couch though.    :scratchchin:   If she did leave you because of the car, it just means she was going to leave sooner or later, but at least you still have your car.   :icon_smile_wink:    
:iagree:

That's kinda harsh language, but I agree with the bottom line. Here's my take;
1. Understand a Mother and her baby, from a biological perspective. That means to her, nothing comes before the baby.
2. Discuss with her what it will mean to you both long-term; how you'll always have bad feelings if you sell it.
3. Discuss how much you, her, and the baby (hopefully) will enjoy the car over the next 30 years.
4. Agree on a budget. If you have a budget, she can't gripe later. It is just a car, after all, and it will wait for the money.

If she gives you an ultimatum (ie. the car goes or I do) keep in mind that very likely, if it's not the car it will eventually be something else. She'll go or stay as she will, not because of the car.

FWIW, my girl handles all the finance of my ongoing restoration, keeps track of purchases/expenses, and just can't wait until we get to wear out the seats. Of course, her daughter is 21 and paying for her own college....
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.