News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

I gave a 38yr old mentally handicapped guy a ride in the General Lee------------

Started by skip68, January 25, 2010, 10:09:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skip68

I forgot to post this the other day and had to share.   I was at the store the other day and this women walks up to me and asked if there was any way I could give her brother a ride in My General Lee ?   She said he was 38 years old but with the mind of a 10 year old.   :-\  At first I was leary but when he came over with his brother-in-law and started talking all excited I said "let's go"  
So outside we go, jump in the car and smoke the tires around the corner.   :2thumbs:  This was a dream come true for this guy.  He has all the videos, models and posters of the General Lee and the Dukes since he was a kid.   We went around the block, got back and took some pictures of him behind the wheel and outside the car.   They kept thanking me but I told them thank you.  I said thank you so so much for letting me do this.  To me it felt like an honor to give him a ride.    Some of you guys here have rode in my car and it's no big deal.   But, this was the world to him and that was the best passenger I've ever had in my car.   My wife and I did contact the Make-a-wish foundation in Vegas last year and they have all our info but no calls yet.   At least now I know how it will make us feel.  
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

bull

69bronzeT5

Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

RD

God bless you!!! What a wonderful gift of compassion, a smile, and the love of a automobile.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

mikesbbody

Sublime/Sixpack

1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

Dans 68

Nice story, Chuck.  :yesnod:  You really are a good guy.  :2thumbs:  :icon_smile_wink:

But, however, I must confess, when I first (quickly, mind you) read the heading I thought CB came by on a surprise trip and this was your way of letting us know.... :D

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

skip68

I knew he was 38, but the whole time he was in the car he was talking a mile a minute just like a 9-10 year old kid.   :icon_smile_cool:   My wife was the main one that wanted to do the Make-a-wish deal with the car and I was okay with it but a bit on the fence.   I've thought it would be hard for me to do something like that and make me feel sad.   But now I know how good it makes you feel to make a dream come true.   :yesnod:   It's funny but I think I got as much out of it as he did.
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

skip68

Quote from: Dans 68 on January 25, 2010, 11:02:17 PM

But, however, I must confess, when I first (quickly, mind you) read the heading I thought CB came by on a surprise trip and this was your way of letting us know.... :D

Dan

:rofl:   CB is special that's true.   He even got to drive my car.   :icon_smile_wink:

Sweet T

Remember we have something everyone wishes they had.  For that reason alone we should give a little back.  I had a couple chase me down because they had their nephew visiting from the Chec. Rep. this summer.  All they wanted was a picture of their nephew beside the car.  I said no that's not good enough.  You have a seat in it, window down, arm out, and look like you own it.  The camera's came out and I know this kid was in cloud 9.  Not too many 16 year olds sit in 69 but less are from the Chec.  It's good Mopar publicity!  Everyone get into the spirit.
No, it ain't a Hemi.....thank God!

skip68

68coronetGLwannabe

Good job Chuck! That's one of the great pleasures of owning a General Lee. The Make A Wish Foundation is a great idea, I need to check into that.  :2thumbs:
I pointed to two old drunks sitting across the bar from us and told my friend
"That's us in 10 years".
He said "That's a mirror, dip-shit!

CB

Quote from: Dans 68 on January 25, 2010, 11:02:17 PM
Dan

WTF!!!!  :RantExplode:  :lol:

Nice gesture Skip! :2thumbs:

1968 Dodge Coronet 500

8WHEELER

Good for you, I like hearing stories like that, we have a local guy hear that has a real General, and
he takes pictures with kids all over, but mostly sitting there on the drivers door, that's why you
don't want your GL to be to sweet   :yesnod: :yesnod:  he really enjoys the hell out of it.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

tan top

good one Chuck !!  ....thats something that guy will remember for ever  :yesnod:
great stuff  :yesnod:    :2thumbs:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Tilar

Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

Foreman72

man it sounds like you got as much out of it as he did :2thumbs:

thats an awesome story...
Eric "Foreman"

Previous: 1972 Dodge Charger
Current: 2002 Volvo S60

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.
=Psalm 37:23-24=
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..."
=Matthew 6:19-21=
:pat

41husk

1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Cooter

That feeling is why I built a GL in the first place...I only wish I coulda had the same chance when I was kid back in '79...If I can make some person's Dream of riding in a GL come true, it really does the 'ol ticker good...

Good on 'ya for doing that Chuck...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Skyview69

71ChallengeHer

Johnny SixPack

Johnny's Herd:
'69 Charger SE, '70 Charger R/T SE 496 Six Pack, '72 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron, '74 International Scout II, '85 Ford F-250 Diesel, '97 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

"If its got tits or tires, you're going to have trouble with it." - Unknown

Got Dodge Fever? There's only one cure.....Charger!

General_01

1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed