News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Marketing help...............

Started by Big Squeeze, January 24, 2010, 09:57:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Squeeze

Hey guys.......I need some help/advice on what I need to do.........As some of you know, I've made a DVD on performance engine building and carb tuning.........I think it has a lot of great info that the mojority of the people could benefit from..........Problem is, I'm having a hard time getting people to bite on it........... :scratchchin:

I've been to two events..........Monster Mopar and the Good Guys event in Dallas............Both events got rained on a LOT.........and turn out was lower than normal............I sold 8 at Monster Mopar and 23 at Good Guys.......Good Guys sounds OK, but I had to pay $800 for a vendors spot there  :eek2: Good Guys typically has 60,000 people there, but I don't know how many actually showed up at this last one........I was hoping to sell to just .25-.5% of the people, which would have been 150 to 300 DVD's..........Obviously, I didn't get close........

For my display, I have a real nice show board that's basically a copy of the front of the DVD case, I have a nice banner that says "How To Super Tune VIDEO", I have my GTS Dart sitting there, and a mocked up, complete 426 HEMI with mechanical fuel injection sitting there for eye candy to hopefully draw people in...........

I guess my question is; If you were walking by my vendors spot, what would it take for you to stop and buy a video?

I got a lot of people that would look at my spot and just keep on moving........and I had a few guys say; "So, what are you selling?".......I'm guessing that people are seeing what I have and think that they don't need it since their car already starts, runs, and drives???........and apparantly my props aren't clear enough??? So, now I'm leaning towards making a 10 to 20 minute compulation of high lights of the DVD to play on my lap top to hopefully lure people in.....

Thanks to Ron, I've sold more videos here than just about anywhere.......and that, obviously, boils down to credibility  :2thumbs: .....which was the reason I spent so much time in aquiring Barry Grant, Comp Cams, Smith Brothers, Innovate Motorsports and others as Marketing Partners....I was hoping they'd give the DVD enough credibility  :popcrn:

This is all new to me and I'm, obviously, not the salesman type.....So any help/criticism is greatly appreciated.... :cheers:

Thanks,

Wayne

Pump gas and hydraulic cams are for minivans.......

TylerCharger69

Maybe post a downloadable "demo" on your website for people to view and see what it is all about??  Then it may entice them to purchase the full version.....just my  :Twocents:  and include a troubleshooting section as well.....as far as walking by your presentation....have positive documentation from others who have used this tool to be helpful to them right there.....i guess they would be "reviews" so to speak...and have a demo playing so people can have a taste of what the DVD offers.

Big Squeeze

Quote from: TylerCharger69 on January 24, 2010, 10:56:17 AM
Maybe post a downloadable "demo" on your website for people to view and see what it is all about??  Then it may entice them to purchase the full version.....just my  :Twocents:  and include a troubleshooting section as well.....as far as walking by your presentation....have positive documentation from others who have used this tool to be helpful to them right there.....i guess they would be "reviews" so to speak...and have a demo playing so people can have a taste of what the DVD offers.

Yeah, I hadn't thought of that.......I guess it would be good to show some testimonials during the highlight video........maybe have a "Here's what people have had to say" section....... :2thumbs:

Thanks,

Wayne

Troy

To be honest, I'm not much of a swap meet kind of person and I'm certainly not a racer. I did see you at Monster Mopar on several of my many trips from the show field to the pits and I really only stopped to check out the Dart. I don't think I even realized you were selling a video (which I still need to buy one of these days). Even if you had a big stack of DVDs sitting there I'm not sure it's the best way/place to sell them. Maybe that's just me but I doubt I'd by a video of anything at a show without someone's recommendation or a sample that I could watch (maybe not even then). I think word of mouth is a valuable tool and (obviously due to my profession) the internet is a great way to market a product with reasonably low overhead.

Troy

Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Big Squeeze

Quote from: Troy on January 24, 2010, 11:34:15 AM
To be honest, I'm not much of a swap meet kind of person and I'm certainly not a racer. I did see you at Monster Mopar on several of my many trips from the show field to the pits and I really only stopped to check out the Dart. I don't think I even realized you were selling a video (which I still need to buy one of these days). Even if you had a big stack of DVDs sitting there I'm not sure it's the best way/place to sell them. Maybe that's just me but I doubt I'd by a video of anything at a show without someone's recommendation or a sample that I could watch (maybe not even then). I think word of mouth is a valuable tool and (obviously due to my profession) the internet is a great way to market a product with reasonably low overhead.

Troy

Troy.........Thanks.......That's exactly the kind of info I need....... :2thumbs:

What's funny is, I know that when I was growing up, I'd have LOVED to been able to find info like this.......Back then I did a lot of research through magazines and that only gets you so far........and I had nobody to go to for help........so I was on my own and wasted a lot of money on crap and redoing things........ :brickwall:

Wayne

b5blue

Up load to you tube, a short teaser and put them on ebay with a wide selection of tags.  

Big Squeeze

Quote from: b5blue on January 24, 2010, 12:08:36 PM
Up load to you tube, a short teaser and put them on ebay with a wide selection of tags.  

You know, I've been talking about doing that for the last few weeks and I was actually right in the middle of emailing the guy, that did all the filming and editing for me, and asking him what I need to do to get the ball rolling..... :2thumbs:

Wayne

b5blue

Now that I think about it put a link here now. I want one but have to wait for the old tax return first. (But you may catch some guy's attention in this thread.)  :2thumbs:

Big Squeeze

Quote from: b5blue on January 24, 2010, 12:18:09 PM
Now that I think about it put a link here now. I want one but have to wait for the old tax return first. (But you may catch some guy's attention in this thread.)  :2thumbs:

Here's the link to the thread about it on here http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,62311.0.html and here's the link to where I posted about it and ordering info http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,62100.0.html

Thanks,

Wayne

b5blue

I was wondering if you cover any six pack tricks in there?

Big Squeeze

Quote from: b5blue on January 24, 2010, 12:30:48 PM
I was wondering if you cover any six pack tricks in there?

I don't specifically talk about Six Packs (I don't know why I didn't think of doing that :brickwall: ) but it's really no different than tuning a vacuum secondary 4 barrel other than having to do twice the work changing the secondary jetting and springs...... :2thumbs:

Wayne

oldschool

try ebay.i buy alot of stuff there :Twocents:.
1968 cuda formula S bb 4-sp                          1968 Charger R/T 500" 4-sp
1970 Charger 580" 4-sp
1970 Cuda Convertible 500" 4-sp
1970 Cuda Convertible 500" 4-sp
TOO MUCH HORSEPOWER, IS ALMOST ENOUGH!

b5blue

R2

I would try and contact some of the Mopar magazines (mopar muscle, mopar collector guide, mopar enthuiest,,etc),,,they usually have a section on "new products",,and reviews,,,,,IF they were to bite,,,they might feature it,,,and you would get alot of looks from people reading the magazine.

The thing with Monster Mopar is that RACERS likely already know most of this stuff,,,,no offense,,,but they might not be the crowd to target,,,, I would go at the folks in the car show, display area,,,,that use the vehicles as daily drivers,,,and may need help with their tuning skills,,not in the race pits,,,,,Most of what is on the DVD is directed at daily drivers,,,not on a all out race tune.

Maybe you need to do some of the things you do on the DVD ,,,,AT the actual show,,,ie,,,,have a few distributors,,carbs,,etc,,A/F meters,,engine displays,,,cams,,,etc,,,,(ie actual parts,,,not just the car,,and the DVD),,,and work on them,,,etc,,,this way you can "show" your wares,,,do some tuning right in front of people to get across what is on the DVD.

I think another helpful,,,,education thing,,,that could be included in a "future" DVD,,,,would be "how to fix a DEAD car",,,,ie,,,,just have a section on it....They used to have contests in the past,,,,,a few kids would each get a "dead" car,,,,,(which was rigged or killed),,,and they had to diagnose what was wrong,,,and get the car running.  I think alot of us would benifiet from a step by step,,,,how to,,,,get your car running if you are on the side of the road and dead.....might make a good addition....maybe you could incorporate something like this at one of the shows,,,and give a DVD away as a prize.....sounds corney....but i have walked home a few times,,,,after not be able to get my car running when it died.....much better now,,,but learned the hard way....

Peace Wayne,

Doug

Big Squeeze

Quote from: oldschool on January 24, 2010, 01:30:03 PM
try ebay.i buy alot of stuff there :Twocents:.

I've got them on there and sold about 12 within the last 3 months....... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300388652805&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMESELX%3AIT

Quote from: b5blue on January 24, 2010, 01:41:58 PM
My son just recommended Amazon.com also.  :2thumbs:

I've got them on Amazon.com too http://www.amazon.com/Performance-Engine-Building-Carburetor-Tuning/dp/B002QWJ1DM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1264361674&sr=8-1

Quote from: R2 on January 24, 2010, 02:15:03 PM
I would try and contact some of the Mopar magazines (mopar muscle, mopar collector guide, mopar enthuiest,,etc),,,they usually have a section on "new products",,and reviews,,,,,IF they were to bite,,,they might feature it,,,and you would get alot of looks from people reading the magazine.
I've had them in MCG and I'm in the middle of dealing with Mopar Action and I've got my wife dealing with Mopar Muscle and Muscle Car Review.......There's also supposed to be a write up in the newest Hemmings Muscle Machines and Hemmings Motor News.....

The thing with Monster Mopar is that RACERS likely already know most of this stuff,,,,no offense,,,but they might not be the crowd to target,,,, I would go at the folks in the car show, display area,,,,that use the vehicles as daily drivers,,,and may need help with their tuning skills,,not in the race pits,,,,,Most of what is on the DVD is directed at daily drivers,,,not on a all out race tune.

Yeah........the thing is, a LOT of the racers have cars that run good at WOT, but don't start well, barely idle, and have terrible throttle response, so I was hoping some of those guys would be intersted, but I'm guessing most of those guys don't realize how bad they need it..... :2thumbs:

QuoteMaybe you need to do some of the things you do on the DVD ,,,,AT the actual show,,,ie,,,,have a few distributors,,carbs,,etc,,A/F meters,,engine displays,,,cams,,,etc,,,,(ie actual parts,,,not just the car,,and the DVD),,,and work on them,,,etc,,,this way you can "show" your wares,,,do some tuning right in front of people to get across what is on the DVD.

That's a good idea that I hadn't though of   :scratchchin: :2thumbs: .......I think I'll bring some goodies to the next show with me...... :cheers:

QuoteI think another helpful,,,,education thing,,,that could be included in a "future" DVD,,,,would be "how to fix a DEAD car",,,,ie,,,,just have a section on it....They used to have contests in the past,,,,,a few kids would each get a "dead" car,,,,,(which was rigged or killed),,,and they had to diagnose what was wrong,,,and get the car running.  I think alot of us would benifiet from a step by step,,,,how to,,,,get your car running if you are on the side of the road and dead.....might make a good addition....maybe you could incorporate something like this at one of the shows,,,and give a DVD away as a prize.....sounds corney....but i have walked home a few times,,,,after not be able to get my car running when it died.....much better now,,,but learned the hard way....

Peace Wayne,

Doug

That's a good point too......I should/could have added a trouble shooting guide at the end of the video.....but I ran out of time.........

THANKS, for all the comments so far........ :cheers:

Wayne

TylerCharger69

Testimonials!!!   That's the word i was looking for!!! :2thumbs:

Corellian Corvette

Agree on what others have said.

1. Do some google keyword search advertising
2. Testimonials - get a couple guys with names to watch the video and see if they'll give you a quote
3. Have the video running at the event! Let people see what they are buying.
4. Pick your best clip or 2 and put it on the website

elacruze

Oooh, this should be fun.

1. Oops I didn't see you or notice what you were selling. Why not?
2. Why do I need what you're selling?
3. What does what you're selling tell me that I don't already know?
4. What makes what you're selling better than that other guys?

Those are basic marketing questions to answer. Here are some harder ones.

5. Are you and/or your display/product/presentation interesting? How do you generate excitement in 10 seconds or less?
6. Is your product over/underpriced? How do you know?

1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

Big Squeeze

Quote from: Corellian Corvette on January 26, 2010, 10:18:20 PM
Agree on what others have said.

1. Do some google keyword search advertising
2. Testimonials - get a couple guys with names to watch the video and see if they'll give you a quote
3. Have the video running at the event! Let people see what they are buying.
4. Pick your best clip or 2 and put it on the website

Thanks guys.......there are quite a few good ideas in this thread........ :cheers:

I've got a guy working on a highlight version of the DVD right now.......and I'm trying to figure out how to incorporate testimonials into it without having the actual people here so I can tape them :scratchchin: Maybe I'll have some friends of mine quote what other have said??? :popcrn: or just write them across the screen???  :scratchchin: .............

That's a good idea on putting clips on my site......I'll work on that too...... :2thumbs:

Quote from: elacruze on January 27, 2010, 05:36:28 AM
Oooh, this should be fun.

1. Oops I didn't see you or notice what you were selling. Why not?
2. Why do I need what you're selling?
3. What does what you're selling tell me that I don't already know?
4. What makes what you're selling better than that other guys?

Those are basic marketing questions to answer. Here are some harder ones.

5. Are you and/or your display/product/presentation interesting? How do you generate excitement in 10 seconds or less?
6. Is your product over/underpriced? How do you know?

1. It seemed like just about everyone noticed me, but most kept on walking....... :scratchchin: You're, obviously, right.......I need to make my vendors spot answer those questions...... :2thumbs:

5. I think it was pretty interesting........maybe I could ad a bikini model next time....... :icon_smile_big:
6. I think it's priced fairly........I did a LOT of research on that.......and anything over 30 minutes that was half way comparable was $30 or more.......(This DVD is 160 minutes).........Everything that I found that was $20 was either 30 minutes long or really old......... :2thumbs:

Thanks for a ll the great info and tips guys......... :cheers:

Wayne

SeattleCharger

already mentioned, but a 2 or 3 hundred dollar 32 inch lcd tv running with the vid on it,    people can't help glance at a tv, I like all those saturday morning shows on hotrodding and car restoration etc. 
   if they see the vid playing, they would have a lot better chance of knowing what they are buying, and what you are selling

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

oldrock

+1 always have it running at shows. FOlks now days don't want to drop any amount of money on a relatively unknown product without seeing it first. The other thing I would suggest is getting an endorcement. Seems silly but having a known name endorce your dvd would make folks feel a bit better about taking a chance on it. If I were you, I would send out free copies to all the hotrod shows on speed and see if they will review it/talk about it on their show. If one of them talks positively about it, you could use that in your promotional materials (with their permission of course).

That and some real world endorcements from folks on forums like this one would go a long way. If you are in Dallas and can get my son's 72 charger running again... I'll buy 2 copies and give you an endorcement  :icon_smile_big:

Big Squeeze

Quote from: oldrock on January 27, 2010, 04:42:11 PM
+1 always have it running at shows. FOlks now days don't want to drop any amount of money on a relatively unknown product without seeing it first. The other thing I would suggest is getting an endorcement. Seems silly but having a known name endorce your dvd would make folks feel a bit better about taking a chance on it. If I were you, I would send out free copies to all the hotrod shows on speed and see if they will review it/talk about it on their show. If one of them talks positively about it, you could use that in your promotional materials (with their permission of course).

That and some real world endorcements from folks on forums like this one would go a long way. If you are in Dallas and can get my son's 72 charger running again... I'll buy 2 copies and give you an endorcement  :icon_smile_big:

I agree on endorcements......which boils down to credibility.......which is why I was hoping that having reputable marketing partners would help with that......but, obviously, it's not enough..... :scratchchin: Yeah, I've been doing some searching for info on where to send DVD's to those shows, but it's hard to find......Personaly, I don't watch any of those shows because I only have basic TV, so I don't even know the names..... ;D I recently emailed a few, but haven't heard back yet....... :2thumbs:

Thanks, for all the great ideas guys........I really appreciate your time.......... :cheers:

Wayne

b5blue

No cable bill here ether! Charger gets that money.  :2thumbs:

Big Squeeze

Quote from: b5blue on January 27, 2010, 08:24:28 PM
No cable bill here ether! Charger gets that money.  :2thumbs:

Yeah, to say I'm "effecient" with my money, is an extreme understatement....... ;D Having a stay-at-home-wife and 4 kids makes me that way...... :2thumbs:

b5blue

Having a no pay her support to me EX wife and 3 kids to raise means the only money the Charger gets is that.  :lol: (You have more to feed than me!)