News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

carb or timing

Started by 72TOPPER, January 23, 2010, 04:34:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

72TOPPER

I have a 318 that will not idle unless it is choked. Edelbrock carb with high rise edelbrock intake. Choke is manual. have adjusted idle mixture several times. Electronic ignition. Carb is making a ticking sound when idling. I'm not a carb expert. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

TylerCharger69

What cam you running??  I've experienced some high profile cams dont produce enough vacuum and cause those symptoms...

72TOPPER

Thanks for the reply. As far as I know it is a stock cam. The engine has no lope to it. The only other changes I am aware of is a stall converter. Everything else seems to be stock. The right idle screw doesn't seem to affect anything when adjusting at idle, only the left screw will bring the rpm's up and down. I can run it down the road without the choke and it runs fine, but I have to choke it again when I let off the gas to stop at a red light or it will hardly idle.

71383bee

Sounds like a vacuum leak to me.  Check you vacuum lines and spray some carb cleaner around the base while running if it picks up in RPM then you found your leak. 
71 - FC7 383 Super Bee

72TOPPER

Thanks for the replies. I couldn't find a vacuum leak, so I changed carbs and it is idling great now.