News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Look what my car sold for at BJs

Started by Hemidoug, January 22, 2010, 06:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hemidoug

71 R/T 440 6pak, 4spd Mr Norms GSD

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Hemidoug

Exactly....There is a story behind that one. Two guys battling it out? I don't know, but 100K seems a bit much.

mauve66

way too much but then again it was "VISUALLY inspected by GG"
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

Charger-Bodie

That's just proof that a desireable car done right is ALWAYS gonna bring good money even in a bad economy.

Its worth that cause someone paid it. Thats what sets the value on any car.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

tan top

Quote from: Hemidoug on January 22, 2010, 07:18:46 PM
Exactly....There is a story behind that one. Two guys battling it out? I don't know, but 100K seems a bit much.

this hobby is going nuts  !!   with them prices !    , you would of thought with all the repop stuff now ,  restored cars , excluding any thing hemi & V code & Aero  ,  that they are not as rare in that condition now as they were 15 years back  , don't think i've done a good job of explaining  , but i think i know what i am trying to say  , i think  :scratchchin: :-\ :shruggy:

no arguing  , a car restored like that will bring big dough ,  :yesnod:

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 

Hemidoug

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on January 22, 2010, 07:27:55 PM
That's just proof that a desireable car done right is ALWAYS gonna bring good money even in a bad economy.

Understood, but I don't think you will see, however well done they are, 440 4v auto cars go for over 100K everyday.....excepting aero cars. That was a steep price for that particular car. That would mean, for comparison, my Hemi 4spd car is worth 150K. If anyone is willing to give me 150K for my Hemicar I'll make sure it has a full tank for ya when you come to pick it up.....

WHITE AND RED 69

100 Grand!  :o Its a damn fine car but wow! just think what these cars will be selling for 10-20 years from now.
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

bull

I believe that's the car that was bought and restored by member "daytonakid" from here in Oregon. It's his lot number so that's got to be the one. He has to be pretty happy about that price. :2thumbs: I heard he was pretty nervous about doing a no-reserve auction but it obviously paid off. The car is pretty much perfect so I can see it fetching a boatload of cash.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,55345.0.html

69 OUR/TEA

Quote from: Hemidoug on January 22, 2010, 07:35:49 PM

Understood, but I don't think you will see, however well done they are, 440 4v auto cars go for over 100K everyday.....excepting aero cars. That was a steep price for that particular car. That would mean, for comparison, my Hemi 4spd car is worth 150K. If anyone is willing to give me 150K for my Hemicar I'll make sure it has a full tank for ya when you come to pick it up.....

IF......you took off all the drag race stuff,and your car is all #'s matching,have BS,and did another full detailed rotiss resto and left as a trailor queen as to not get anything dirty  or worn looking,to put yours on the same playing field as his.And put on redlines !!!!!

Hemidoug

Quote from: 69 OUR/TEA on January 22, 2010, 08:33:15 PM

IF......you took off all the drag race stuff,and your car is all #'s matching,have BS,and did another full detailed rotiss resto and left as a trailor queen as to not get anything dirty  or worn looking,to put yours on the same playing field as his.And put on redlines !!!!!

I agree...but you would agree 100K is way to much for a 440 car.

bull

Quote from: Hemidoug on January 22, 2010, 08:44:45 PM
Quote from: 69 OUR/TEA on January 22, 2010, 08:33:15 PM

I agree...but you would agree 100K is way to much for a 440 car.

Maybe it's too much to most of us but obviously it's not too much for everyone because someone paid it. :shruggy: This is kind of a moot debate isn't it?

69 OUR/TEA

I will say I thought it would have topped out at around 65k-70k,but this is a case where two people really wanted it,and in typical BJ fashion(people with deeper pockets than most)did'nt go down without a good fight!

Now,as far as the seller,thumbs up!!!!He prevailed,and as far as I understand,he did the whole car himself,which I love to see.Not a guy who did nothing and just flipped it.If anyone earned or deserved it,it was him!!!!

Congrats daytonakid!!!

daytonakid

I would love to be as fortunate as Hemi doug and have a numbers matching 4 speed hemi car. Kudos to him for being smart enough to get one. Maybe someday I'll be fortunate enough to own a hemi charger. I built this car to showcase what my shop can do and I've been very fortunate to have recieved many very nice things said about it. I agree with Hemi doug that the redlines are not my favorite (I'm a t/a guy). But I felt that would help the car sell. With all the bad weather Today it cleared off and the A4 paint looked awesome in the sun shine. By he time I got out of the car and looked at the screen it had already reached 75,000. It then jumped in 5,000 increments to 100,000. I bouht this car off moparts from a gentleman who was going to part out this numbers matching car. Another car saved from the crusher.
Owner East Portland Auto Body www.eastportlandautobody.com

Belgium R/T -68

This just verifies my thoughts that it pays off paying attention and invest in the details when doing a full resto. A nice paintjob and a new interior can be done
very cheap.

Per
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

tan top

Quote from: daytonakid on January 23, 2010, 01:46:11 AM
I would love to be as fortunate as Hemi doug and have a numbers matching 4 speed hemi car. Kudos to him for being smart enough to get one. Maybe someday I'll be fortunate enough to own a hemi charger. I built this car to showcase what my shop can do and I've been very fortunate to have recieved many very nice things said about it. I agree with Hemi doug that the redlines are not my favorite (I'm a t/a guy). But I felt that would help the car sell. With all the bad weather Today it cleared off and the A4 paint looked awesome in the sun shine. By he time I got out of the car and looked at the screen it had already reached 75,000. It then jumped in 5,000 increments to 100,000. I bouht this car off moparts from a gentleman who was going to part out this numbers matching car. Another car saved from the crusher.

:2thumbs: congratulations on the sale :coolgleamA:  was looking at the pictures , earlier , awesome job on that charger Dude :yesnod:  :2thumbs:

Charger Stuff 

jeryst

Just curious, but does anyone know how much the restoration cost?
That type of quality could not have been cheap.

resq302

Just goes to show you what someone will pay for particular attention to detail!   :2thumbs:  Congrats on the sale.   :scratchchin:  Wonder what my 383 4 spd would bring :scratchchin:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Belgium R/T -68 on January 23, 2010, 03:51:55 AM
This just verifies my thoughts that it pays off paying attention and invest in the details when doing a full resto. A nice paintjob and a new interior can be done
very cheap.

Per
True and not true.  Many more cars restored at that level do not bring that kind of price.  This was truly a rare case about one lucky seller and two guys with big egos and pockets.  All the same a score for a 69 Charger.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Hemidoug

Quote from: daytonakid on January 23, 2010, 01:46:11 AM

Congrats with the restoration and sale! That's one hell of a price for a 440 4v autocar, you must have done an outstanding resto on her. My car is far from numbers matching. The driveline departed the chassis a long long time ago. That being said, I doubt that numbers matching was the force behind the spectacular price paid for your, but I'm sure it helped. Glad you got what you did and you saved it from the crusher....I did the same with mine....just a rolling chassis and a couple of boxs of crap parts. It didn't even have a front clip. How long did it take start to finish?

Oh....smart had noting to do with it...pure luck my friend, the pure luck of being in the right palce, at the right time, with the right amout of coin.....kinda like that lucky buyer and seller of yours.... :2thumbs:

Hemidoug

Quote from: bull on January 22, 2010, 08:49:01 PM

Maybe it's too much to most of us but obviously it's not too much for everyone because someone paid it. :shruggy: This is kind of a moot debate isn't it?

Why is the highest price ever paid for a "run of the mill" 440 4v auto R/T moot? I admit the devil is in the detailed restoration, however you must admit that was a bellweather sale by leaps and bounds...Moot? There isn't anything moot about that sale, from the price that was paid to the quality (as gaged from the sale price) of the car. THAT is E body territory....

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Hemidoug on January 23, 2010, 09:56:02 AM

Why is the highest price ever paid for a "run of the mill" 440 4v auto R/T moot? I admit the devil is in the detailed restoration, however you must admit that was a bellweather sale by leaps and bounds...Moot? There isn't anything moot about that sale, from the price that was paid to the quality (as gaged from the sale price) of the car. THAT is E body territory....

The people who have money dont care about the same things others do. If they want something it becomes a goal they will do almost anything to reach.

My 68 100% clone sold for 54,000 when I sold it. 3 days later it sold for 79,900. Th only thing right on that car (as far as fender tag stuff goes) was that it had Charger emblems. It was done nice,it was sorted and ready to go . That apearantly means alot.

Any car is worth what 2 people want to push it too.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .

Hemidoug

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on January 23, 2010, 10:21:50 AM

The people who have money dont care about the same things others do. If they want something it becomes a goal they will do almost anything to reach.

My 68 100% clone sold for 54,000 when I sold it. 3 days later it sold for 79,900. Th only thing right on that car (as far as fender tag stuff goes) was that it had Charger emblems. It was done nice,it was sorted and ready to go . That apearantly means alot.

Yes..reality and theory are two very different things. However I'd be willing to bet you would be hard pressed, even at the height of the muscle car bubble, to find another "production" 440 4v auto B body attaining that price. It was truly a bellweather price by leaps and bounds. Something very worthy of the pride he most certainly feels and earned I'm sure.

Look, I'm not trying to take anything away from the car....but I'll bet NOBODY would have guessed the value of that particular car would have been as high as it was before the auction...that's all I'm saying.

70charginglizard

*Price Includes 10% Buyers Commission

ouch....no thanks

congrads on the sale though
70charginglizard

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Hemidoug on January 23, 2010, 10:30:46 AM
Quote from: 1HotDaytona on January 23, 2010, 10:21:50 AM

Yes..reality and theory are two very different things. However I'd be willing to bet you would be hard pressed, even at the height of the muscle car bubble, to find another "production" 440 4v auto B body attaining that price. It was truly a bellweather price by leaps and bounds. Something very worthy of the pride he most certainly feels and earned I'm sure.

Look, I'm not trying to take anything away from the car....but I'll bet NOBODY would have guessed the value of that particular car would have been as high as it was before the auction...that's all I'm saying.

Yeah , Ill definitely agree with that. It was a surprise.

Belgium R/T -68

If I ever need to sell my cars I will surely bring them over to the US, overhere I think getting 50K for a charger is rare nomatter how nice it is.

Per

mauve66

now those guys in ohio or illinois or where ever with the rusty shell of an R/T are justified in thinking their car is worth 26K...................... :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
alignment

1969chargerrtse

I think overall it was a good thing for the 2nd gen market.  Yes?
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Hemidoug

NO! I don't think it was a good thing for the hobby as a whole. It was a good thing for the seller, but not for the hobby. I don't like to see over inflated prices....they cause more problems then they solve...think of all those ripoff artists out there rejoicing....and pumping the prices up another 20k for a rustpile 'cause they saw a 440 auto car go for 100k.....just my .02.....

Good for the seller....yes
Good for the hobby....NO

Charger-Bodie

The key thing that is good for everyone in the hobby is :

If these cars are worth something , then its worth it for companies to reproduce parts for them. They are not going to make stuff to lose money. Whay do you think there are so many more parts available now?

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on January 23, 2010, 12:10:39 PM

If these cars are worth something , then its worth it for companies to reproduce parts for them. They are not going to make stuff to lose money. Whay do you think there are so many more parts available now?
Very good point because I remember when nothing was out there for the  Mopar cars and it sucked. I guess there are good and bad things in this.

Hemidoug

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on January 23, 2010, 12:10:39 PM

Ok..I'll give you that. Now can you name one part that will be re popped when a plain Jane 440 4v auto car sells for 100K and not be re popped if the same car sold for 50K?

Now....how many FOR SALE signs are being modified or reserves on Ebay that are a little higher, or junks that will sit because the owner saw a 69 R/t 440 auto car sell for 100K.

I'll bet point number 2 is closer to reality then point number 1.....and if that is the case, how is that "good" for the hobby?

I think...and this is just MY opinion.....I think money is looking for a place to hide right now, given our current "situation". It looks like prices have risen since last year, but it isn't across the board. I'm sure the reason the car sold at what it did speaks to it's quality restoration. I don't think the "general" populace sees that. All they see is 69 Charger and 100K....and that's kinda my point.

Point number 2 is it was the economy that made the market what it is today....that includes the re pop market....If people like us stop buying the parts will dry up. Guaranteed.

1969chargerrtse

All and all I don't think this one crazy sale will effect the hobby. Most people know it was not the norm. Let people try to ask crazy prices. You still have a buyers market and they will shop elsewhere. I would.

Charger-Bodie

Hemidoug

Belgium R/T -68

I can only see it positive that it really is possible to get most money back from a very serious restoration, don't see the connection to why rustbuckets should
increase in value because of that? :scratchchin:

Per

Hemidoug

Quote from: Belgium R/T -68 on January 23, 2010, 01:39:26 PM
I can only see it positive that it really is possible to get most money back from a very serious restoration, don't see the connection to why rustbuckets should

Per

You've never shopped in the States...LOL. You get to see all kinds.

mauve66

when i first moved out here a guy had a black primer 1st gen with a poly 318 and replaced all the dodge/charger badges with harley badges and thought cause he saw a hemi car sell for 50K that he should get 27K for his car, i tried to explain the difference between a CORRECT car and an everyday car and he said i was crazy

i too am glad for the seller, especially when it reflects his business, but it doesn't reflect the hobby as a whole until alot of similar cars start selling for that, i don't see that happening, and for someone with a 318 or 383 car to start thinking "i'll get 70K out of mine"  is absolutely ridiculous
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
alignment

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Belgium R/T -68

Quote from: Hemidoug on January 23, 2010, 01:44:29 PM
Quote from: Belgium R/T -68 on January 23, 2010, 01:39:26 PM

Per

You've never shopped in the States...LOL. You get to see all kinds.

I know I'm sometimes a wishful thinker but once in a while it's depressing when you calculate the total of your cost for the resto and you will maybe get back the half. :brickwall:
That's why it's nice when a car like that sells for 100K, then the rest of us can keep those dreams about a sucessful sale even if it will never happen in real life.

Per

TruckDriver

The "E" body cars though, are selling for half of what they did 2 or 3 years ago. The just struggled to get $82,000 for a #'s matching AAR Cuda that was previously owned by a Chrysler Exec.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Hemidoug

That's not a bad price for that car...yellow isn't for everyone. The AARs and TAs were only in the 60s a little while ago.

68charger383

I think they pump nitrous oxide into the bidding tent.

I remember Bruce Willis was sellling a few cars muscle cars last year at a Peterson Car Museum Bonham auction, including his 69 charger. He has a nice 67 firebird 400/4spd which did not sell, didn't break $25K for bidding. I tried to buy it after the fact, but they wanted $28K plus a 10% fee for the auctioneer. The car had an estimated value of $30K.
http://www.rexfeatures.com/set/812830

That car appeared a year later at the BJ auction in October 2009 and sold for $49K. This goes to show that just being at BJ really can inflate the price of a car. The car sold for twice as much as the highest bid and at almost double the estimated value for the car.
http://www.barrett-jackson.com/application/onlinesubmission/archivecarlist.aspx
1968 Charger 383(Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10

bull

Quote from: Hemidoug on January 22, 2010, 07:18:46 PM

That's not really how you started this discussion. Yes, I think it is remarkable that a non-Hemi Charger sold for more than $100k but IMO it's moot to discuss whether it was worth $100K because it actually sold. If someone was asking $100k and no one was willing to pay and yet the seller refused to drop his price I could see there being a debate about the worth but once it sells, that's what it's worth. :shruggy:

bull

Quote from: 70charginglizard on January 23, 2010, 10:33:50 AM
*Price Includes 10% Buyers Commission

ouch....no thanks

congrads on the sale though

Really? You wouldn't sell your Charger for $110k if you had to pay $11k in commission? I would. I'd even give them my favorite pen to write the check for $99,000.

gtx6970

Quote from: TruckDriver on January 23, 2010, 02:42:46 PM
The "E" body cars though, are selling for half of what they did 2 or 3 years ago. The just struggled to get $82,000 for a #'s matching AAR Cuda that was previously owned by a Chrysler Exec.

Some are doing quite well imo . I present  Exibit A .
This is a car I did maybe 5 years ago. When I did the car I change the top to white and changed the black bumble bee stripe to a white longitudinal stripe . Mike Groff whom I sold it to, changed them  back to the OE look. and replaced the dash pad - Both looked good .

Apparently quality cars will still bring good money in a troubled economy. I watched it go thru and was in awe to say the least.

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/application/onlinesubmission/lotdetails.aspx?ln=940&aid=304&pop=1

66FBCharger

'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

daytonakid

I bought the car 6 years ago off moparts. It was a solid car but needed everything. Since I'm the owner of my shop my car always came last. Customers cars take priority. That being said it took 4 years. We finished it in April of 08. I put 6 miles on it since.
Owner East Portland Auto Body www.eastportlandautobody.com

charger_cody

Welcome to Barret Jackson's Classic Auto Auction. We get stupid people to buy cars thousands of dollars over price. I think Barret Jackson's has alot of people brainwashed on how much their cars are worth.

Cody

68charger383

Quote from: gtx6970 on January 23, 2010, 04:02:57 PM
Quote from: TruckDriver on January 23, 2010, 02:42:46 PM

Some are doing quite well imo . I present  Exibit A .
This is a car I did maybe 5 years ago. When I did the car I change the top to white and changed the black bumble bee stripe to a white longitudinal stripe . Mike Groff whom I sold it to, changed them  back to the OE look. and replaced the dash pad - Both looked good .

Apparently quality cars will still bring good money in a troubled economy. I watched it go thru and was in awe to say the least.

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/application/onlinesubmission/lotdetails.aspx?ln=940&aid=304&pop=1

Wasn't he having trouble getting a buyer at $35K on here/Moparts and dropped it down to $32K. Wow, once again the BJ effect popped the car all the way to $62K  :rofl:
1968 Charger 383(Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10

Hemidoug

Let's see...a  70 RR convert 440 sixpack ...75 K
a 71 Hemi 'Cuda Trip black 4 spd...140K
a 69 Superbee Hemi...100K
a 70 Superbee Hemi ...82K

:scratchchin:

66FBCharger

I watched the black 69 HEMI Superbee cross the block. I have never heard of the hubcap delete option. Is that an actual option or is it made up for Barrett Jackson?
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto

Hemidoug

Quote from: 66FBCharger on January 24, 2010, 01:17:33 PM
I watched the black 69 HEMI Superbee cross the block. I have never heard of the hubcap delete option. Is that an actual option or is it made up for Barrett Jackson?
It would have to be a code on the broadcast....
Still a stunning example of a triple black Hemi 4spd bench seat car...
And how about a sixpack 70 RR 'vert for 70 something....

Brock Samson

i thought the '69 Six-Pack Superbees mostly came sans hubcaps but with chrome lugs but I dunno about HEMIs they were so rare I never even saw one of those. I'm sure the dressier wheels were the option.

bull

Hemidoug

Quote from: bull on January 24, 2010, 01:58:31 PM
E-bodies are out.
B-bodies are in.

Maybe...I always thought B bodies were the better. That 71 Hemi Cuda going for 145k was a shocker...Non numbers car. I loved that Bee though....one of my favorites

66FBCharger

Quote from: Hemidoug on January 24, 2010, 01:32:35 PM
I thought that hubcaps were standeard equipment. I am not sure why anyone would delete them when they ordered the car. It just seems like a weird option to me. Even if you were going to race the car or put mags on the car, how much credit would they have given you? $5.00?
I thought the the 70 RR 440+6 convertible was a great deal considering the rarity of the car. I don't know if it was matching numbers or what the condition of the car was.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: 66FBCharger on January 25, 2010, 07:25:30 AM
I thought that hubcaps were standeard equipment. I am not sure why anyone would delete them when they ordered the car. It just seems like a weird option to me. Even if you were going to race the car or put mags on the car, how much credit would they have given you? $5.00?
I thought the the 70 RR 440+6 convertible was a great deal considering the rarity of the car. I don't know if it was matching numbers or what the condition of the car was.

Maybe at the time they couldnt decide between a Six pack car or this Hemi. So they decided to order it to look like the six pack ,yet have the Hemi? Just a thought.

gtx6970

wanna bet the seller just bought it back?

jeryst

Quote from: gtx6970 on January 25, 2010, 10:35:53 PM

wanna bet the seller just bought it back?

I wonder how many times that actually happens, considering the BJ auctions dont allow a reserve.

375instroke

I must disagree.  Price paid and actual value are not the same.  That price is not just for the car, but also for the service that BJ provides.  He has a lot of hype, and attracts many people with LOTS of money who don't want to scour Hemmings or Craigslist looking for that car they had in high school, or whatever.  BJ attracts a lot of good cars, but there are a lot more buyers there, and that's another thing that drives the prices up.  Something worth what someone will pay is only valid when there is pure liquidity in the market, and there isn't.

Let me put it this way.  That car is worth that much money on that day at BJ.  It could sell for less in OC or LV on another day.  Would it be worth less, then.

375instroke

Are we going to see parts cars with the engine delete option now?

bull

Quote from: 375instroke on January 26, 2010, 02:30:16 PM

I must disagree.  Price paid and actual value are not the same.  That price is not just for the car, but also for the service that BJ provides.  He has a lot of hype, and attracts many people with LOTS of money who don't want to scour Hemmings or Craigslist looking for that car they had in high school, or whatever.  BJ attracts a lot of good cars, but there are a lot more buyers there, and that's another thing that drives the prices up.  Something worth what someone will pay is only valid when there is pure liquidity in the market, and there isn't.

Let me put it this way.  That car is worth that much money on that day at BJ.  It could sell for less in OC or LV on another day.  Would it be worth less, then.

So you wrote all that to say you disagree with me and then agreed that it was worth $110k on the day we're talking about? :shruggy: :ahum:

gtx6970

I'd be willing to bet it happens a lot more then one might think, and not just at BJ

mauve66

older 68 hemi resto on ebay for 129K right now
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
alignment

375instroke

Quote from: bull on January 26, 2010, 08:53:06 PM
Quote from: 375instroke on January 26, 2010, 02:30:16 PM

So you wrote all that to say you disagree with me and then agreed that it was worth $110k on the day we're talking about? :shruggy: :ahum:

I'm reading into the question.  I think most people are talking about what the general value is on the open market.  If you're dying of thirst in the desert, how much is a gallon of water worth?  Does that mean that what you would pay equals the value of a gallon of water?  This is the situation I'm trying to get across with the Barrett Jackson auctions.

charge-it

68 to 70 Chargers are the e-bodies of the b-body world... :nana:
Visit our new website:

http://www.pepsparts.com

nakita7

BJ and Ebay prices are NOT reality...don't get fooled by them...

Troy

Quote from: nakita7 on January 31, 2010, 09:14:01 PM
BJ and Ebay prices are NOT reality...don't get fooled by them...
They are reality when the money goes into your bank account. ;) Sure, they are generally inflated over what most people would pay for a car but, for the most part, they are real transactions between a buyer and seller so someone out there values the cars at those prices.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Ghoste

Someone values THAT car at that price maybe.  If I were willing to pay 1000 dollars for a single sheet of toilet paper, no one would assume that it now meant all toilet paper would be worth that much.  And yet when the insanity of the Barrett-Jackson circus takes place people seem too often to think those prices are the standard.

Hemidoug

I'd like to see the price he get's when he sells it....I'll bet it isn't anywhere NEAR 110K..... :scratchchin: