News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Really scared I messed up the engine

Started by 858Smith, January 18, 2010, 10:29:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

858Smith

I'm sorry if I sound really dumb, but this is usually my husband's area, but he's deployed to Iraq, so I was left to take care of an '06 Charger R/T and I know nothing about cars!!!

For the second time, the K&N air filter he had installed came off. It's been off for about 5 days MAX and that's pushing it. For the past 2 days, it's been raining and I've driven about 25 miles a day to get to and from work a day. I haven't driven on any dirt roads whatsoever.

It seems that the filter is too small for what it snaps on to, so I have to find a bigger filter tomorrow, if that's even made.

Anyway, I'm really scared I messed up the engine. I googled engine flush and was wondering if it was a good idea to get done at the dealer or any suggestions? The filter's on again for now for me to get to the store tomorrow to find another one or see what my options are.

I'm just freaking out sooo bad, especially b/c it was raining pretty hard.

Thanks for any help. I've googled it, but I can't seem to find anything, especially b/c I'm not too familiar with car lingo :(

FLG

I really would not worry one bit.

The engine sucked up a little more crap then usual...nothing major for the amount of time you had it off. Dont do any flushes, dont add any cleaners. Dont worry.

:2thumbs:

BigBlackDodge

Quote from: FLG on January 18, 2010, 10:33:16 PM

The engine sucked up a little more crap then usual...nothing major for the amount of time you had it off. Dont do any flushes, dont add any cleaners. Dont worry.

I agree. Don't worry about it. ;D

BBD

1Bad70Charger

Quote from: FLG on January 18, 2010, 10:33:16 PM

I agree, you will be fine!  :cheers:
48 year old Self Employed Trial Lawyer (I fight the ambulance chasers); 1969 Plymouth Roadrunner A12 Tribute Car, Built 505ci; Silver 2008 Hemi Dodge Challenger SRT8, Black 2006 Corvette Z06 427ci LS7-Keep God First, Family Second and Horsepower Third.  Interests:  God, Fast American Cars (old and new), Classic Muscle Cars, German Sheperds, Guns, Animals and the Great Outdoors (sick of Chicago).

69charger440

If the car is not acting up your fine!!! Heck I ran my 440 without an air filter for 4 months on dirts roads. Then I finally realized I should get one!! My motor was fine!! Dont worry about one thing!!!   God mad dirt, dirt dont hurt!!!! :smilielol:
1969 Charger 540 Blown Hemi 1000HP, 69 Road Runner 500 Stroker 665 HP

858Smith

Thank you soooooooooo much, everyone! It's definitely not acting up, but I've noticed the past few days (I'm assuming b/c the filter was off) it would jerk when I took my foot off the gas, but it hasn't done it since my cousin put it back on for me.

Thanks again. I feel much better and less scared about telling my husband  :2thumbs: Haha!

resq302

I have noticed the same thing when I work on my ford truck.  With the air filter assembly off, the engine has better response both accelerating and decelerating.  It is probably the sudden rush and then sudden slow down of the flow of air going into the the engine.  With putting the air fitler back on it kind of regulates the air coming into the engine.  Don't know if I helped explain it or not but I tried. 
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Just 6T9 CHGR

I still wouldn't tell him :Twocents:

PS---welcome to the site :wave:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

ipstrategies

I have a k&n type filter on my durango and it to has came off more then once. I noticed it almost immediately in warmer months but in winter with windows up and heat on not so much.
I finally changed the setup when I added headers and so far it is ok.

You will be fine!!!
1971 Dodge Charger SE 383 Magnum
1999 Dodge Durango 5.9
1995 Chrysler LHS

858Smith

resq302, it makes sense! Thanks!

Just 6T9 CHRG, I ended up telling him only b/c I can't keep my mouth shut and he was fine with it. He just told me to order a bigger one like Advanced Auto Parts was gonna do :) Thanks for the welcome!

ipstrategies, what exactly do you mean by you added headers? I might need to do the same thing. My issue is the fact the filter's not wide enough to go over the piece that's connected to the tube. Thanks! :)

69charger440

Quote from: 858Smith on January 19, 2010, 05:59:51 PM
resq302, it makes sense! Thanks!

Just 6T9 CHRG, I ended up telling him only b/c I can't keep my mouth shut and he was fine with it. He just told me to order a bigger one like Advanced Auto Parts was gonna do :) Thanks for the welcome!

ipstrategies, what exactly do you mean by you added headers? I might need to do the same thing. My issue is the fact the filter's not wide enough to go over the piece that's connected to the tube. Thanks! :)

Ipstrategies is talking about an exhaust upgrade!! It has nothing to do with you air filter! He was saying that he already had to fix the air filter so he might as well upgrade too, while the hood was up of course!! Nothing wrong with upgrades!!! :cheers:
1969 Charger 540 Blown Hemi 1000HP, 69 Road Runner 500 Stroker 665 HP

b5blue

Hi 858Smith!  :wave: Welcome and tell hubbie we are all proud of his service to this great country of ours! The air filter loose is not the end of the world for a few days and the rain probably helped keep out sand or grit that could scratch the inside of the engine. Give yourself a high five for being alert and checking for a problem. Now have you checked the air pressure in the tires?  :scratchchin:

resq302

Quote from: b5blue on January 20, 2010, 07:57:26 AM
Hi 858Smith!  :wave: Welcome and tell hubbie we are all proud of his service to this great country of ours! The air filter loose is not the end of the world for a few days and the rain probably helped keep out sand or grit that could scratch the inside of the engine. Give yourself a high five for being alert and checking for a problem. Now have you checked the air pressure in the tires?  :scratchchin:

Depends on what year the car is if she needs to check the tire pressures or not.  Newer cars are mandated to have the tire pressure monitoring system to prevent tires from blowing out due to being run on low tire pressure.  This all came out of the explorer / firestone tire problems.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

b5blue

06 RT I don't know when that started?  :2thumbs:

858Smith

b5blue, thank you! I'm not sure if this is what you're talking about, but when the pressure's low, a little symbol comes lit on my dashboard. I know how to do it, though, and put air in it  :2thumbs: My husband was so proud  :lol:

twodko

You go girl! You have questions.....we have answers. Semper Fi to your husband.

Tom
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!