News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Worth extra $ to upgrade to double roller timing chain & push rods for new cam?

Started by 1Bad70Charger, January 18, 2010, 02:43:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1Bad70Charger

OK, I ordered this fairly aggressive cam per Ron's suggestion that should really wake up my 440 engine, along with dynamic conveter (9.5 inch), Proform 750 Carb and Holley Street Dominator Manifold Intake, that should really give my 69 Roadrunner a real attitude (and performance) that I am looking for:  :coolgleamA:

The Comp XE284 hydraulic is 240/246 on a 110* LSA with .507/.510 valve lift

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-CL21-225-4/

I have a stock timing chain and push rods on a 1970 440 engine (don't know how many miles or what condition they are in as I just bougth the car and was told engine was rebuilt 3000 miles ago but I have no documentation on that).

MY common sense tells me its would be good cheap insurance to put in a good comp. double roller timing chain and some new high performance (stock size) push rods as its only about another $170, and the above listed cam is an aggressive one to be used with my stock heads.

I am already putting in new 911 valve springs (per Ron's suggestion) and the cam kit comes with new lifters, but does it make good sense to upgrade the timing chain and push rods with this cam?

Also, is there anything else I should definitely do by choosing this aggressive cam with my stock heads (eventually going with Eddys but $ is just not there now for all of this). 

Thanks in adavance for your  :Twocents: !  :cheers:
48 year old Self Employed Trial Lawyer (I fight the ambulance chasers); 1969 Plymouth Roadrunner A12 Tribute Car, Built 505ci; Silver 2008 Hemi Dodge Challenger SRT8, Black 2006 Corvette Z06 427ci LS7-Keep God First, Family Second and Horsepower Third.  Interests:  God, Fast American Cars (old and new), Classic Muscle Cars, German Sheperds, Guns, Animals and the Great Outdoors (sick of Chicago).

Cooter

In a word.........Yes...Condition unknown? Always replace T-Chain with Double Roller, Not Double "row"...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

1Bad70Charger

Quote from: Cooter on January 18, 2010, 08:03:15 AM
In a word.........Yes...Condition unknown? Always replace T-Chain with Double Roller, Not Double "row"...

Thanks Cooter.  :cheers:

The stock pushrods should be ok and typically don't need to be upgraded on a Cam swap?
48 year old Self Employed Trial Lawyer (I fight the ambulance chasers); 1969 Plymouth Roadrunner A12 Tribute Car, Built 505ci; Silver 2008 Hemi Dodge Challenger SRT8, Black 2006 Corvette Z06 427ci LS7-Keep God First, Family Second and Horsepower Third.  Interests:  God, Fast American Cars (old and new), Classic Muscle Cars, German Sheperds, Guns, Animals and the Great Outdoors (sick of Chicago).

maxwellwedge

Quote from: 1Bad70Charger on January 18, 2010, 09:37:22 AM

Thanks Cooter.  :cheers:

The stock pushrods should be ok and typically don't need to be upgraded on a Cam swap?

Go with new ones - cheap insurance! How about your retainers and locks?

resq302

What is the difference between a double roller and double row timing chain?  Does someone have a pic?
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Cooter

Quote from: resq302 on January 18, 2010, 11:12:18 AM

What is the difference between a double roller and double row timing chain?  Does someone have a pic?

A pic won't help you on this one as they APPEAR to be the same...A double ROLLER will have little Rollers on the chain links, while the double ROW will NOT, like a regular T-chain only double Rows...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

resq302

Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

firefighter3931

Hi Jim, yes it's advisable to upgrade those two components during the cam swap, inmo  :Twocents:

Comp Magnum single bolt timing set : http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-2104/

Heavy wall chromemoly pushrods for 300lbs + pressure : http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/hy440chmo.html

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

1Bad70Charger

Quote from: firefighter3931 on January 18, 2010, 12:46:10 PM
Hi Jim, yes it's advisable to upgrade those two components during the cam swap, inmo  :Twocents:

Comp Magnum single bolt timing set : http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-2104/

Heavy wall chromemoly pushrods for 300lbs + pressure : http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/hy440chmo.html

Ron

Thanks Ron and everyone else who responded here!  :cheers:

greenpigs

1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free