News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Opinions please...

Started by Lennard, January 18, 2010, 01:40:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lennard

I own a 1969 Charger R/T that needs to be restored and when i bought it, it had a 440 from 1972 in it. Since the original engine was long gone my plan was to put in a crate 426 Hemi after restoration.
But... today i bought an almost complete 1969 440 engine, so maybe it would be better/wiser to hang that puppie between the fenders?
It is not going to be repainted in the original color and it is going to roll on Vectors so i am not going for the factory stock look.

Opinions please...      :thumbs:

68X426

I got a Hemi. Unless it's your last wish on earth to have a Hemi, go with the 440. It is a killer motor, less costly to build and maintain, and will serve you well.

Better? Hemi. Wiser? 440. :Twocents: The 440 deserves ever ounce of respect it gets and then some.

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

b5blue

"Bigger is better" (and much cheaper) If you want more sizzle throw the good old Six Pack on there!  :2thumbs:

tan top

as much as i would love a Hemi motor in mine ! :bow:  , cost for a Crate 426 hemi , am i correct in thinking a MP one !!!  , the cost of that & all the nassary hardware , to fit it mounts , headers etc !! you could have a stroker 440 / or 500ci block built up & for the same money that would  run away & hide from a stock type crate Hemi  :Twocents:  saying all this though  doubt full i could choose between the two ! as a HEMI is a HEMI  & if cost were no object !!

:popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

HITMAN 149

funnny.... i think alot of people (not specifically talking about our guys on here.. but just people) in general.... get hung up on "HEMI" ohhhh that thing got a hemi?!?!? lol i think alot has to do with the auctions & such.... whereas people tend to think it's worth sooooo much more with a "HEMI", and yes they are right.... if it's a 1000000% matching numbers EVERYYYYYY friggggin nut & bolt original car!!! lol but hey if you can do a HEMI, and it makes you happy!!! go for it!!! lol
i love what pete (autodynamics) and mike (mr angry) have done.... modern tech w/ old school muscle!!!
it's your car bro!!! as long as you like it!!!! lol
68 Charger R/T, SOLD =/ sniffle sniffle
01 BMW 740i SPORT  
01 Hot Rod Harley Dresser, SOLD =/ =/

G-man

Put a 426+ hemi in it. Even if you get a 1969 440 engine for the car the original engine is gone, so whiever year 440 you get works out the same unless you find the one from your car. Since engine is not original, may aswell go the Hemi. :Twocents:

Lennard

Thanks for your opinion guys! :thumbs:
If i would mount this '69 440 in my Charger, would there be a way for somebody else to tell that it's not the factory original engine?
Is it possible to match an original engine with the body by way of numbers?

b5blue

On the bottom of the block, drivers side, near where the starter mounts is a flat pad for #'s, very hard to see. (needs to be found from under the car with the motor installed) Find it on the 440 now that it's out and you will see what I mean.  :scratchchin:

y3chargerrt

The pad on the front of the block will tell you a date and if its a HP. Yours will say E440HP if its a HP motor.

hemi68charger

440 paid for, put it in and drive and have fun.. In the meantime, you can save up for the hemi... But, don't put off enjoying the Charger inlew of saving to get a hemi...........

440's are great.........

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

b5blue

CB

Quote from: b5blue on January 19, 2010, 08:32:32 AM
:iagree:

+1

I am building my car so that one day I can afford a new motor but I can drive in the mean time.
My dream engine is a mild build bullit proof 440 (with lower maintenance than a HEMI) with a full TTI exhaust.  :drool5:
CB
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

Cooter

I'd go with the 440...Simply because...I'd much rather get outrun in a 440 BY a Hemi, then In a Hemi BY a 440....The Latter HURTS bad..How do I know?  :D
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

TCB09RT

Go with the Hemi!
Yes, it is purely for status, but really, isn't that point...
Fiscal responsibility would put you in a 4 door Dart with a slant 6.

Dans 68

Quote from: CB on January 19, 2010, 09:23:16 AM
Quote from: b5blue on January 19, 2010, 08:32:32 AM
:iagree:

+1

I am building my car so that one day I can afford a new motor but I can drive in the mean time.
My dream engine is a mild build bullit proof 440 (with lower maintenance than a HEMI) with a full TTI exhaust.  :drool5:
CB

CB, just stroke that 383...then it will eat mild build 440's for breakfast, lunch and dinner.  :yesnod:

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

68X426

Quote from: TCB09RT on January 19, 2010, 12:23:05 PMFiscal responsibility would put you in a 4 door Dart with a slant 6.

Now that's a funny line! :D

We Want to Help You.

1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Sixtyeight

Hi Smokey,

What are you going to do with the engine currently in the 69? :D :D

Jeroen.

Charger Registration of the Netherlands / www.charger.nl
1968 R/T Charger
1969 Base Charger

Akron_Charger

if you dont want the 440 I got a place for it :D but really, the 440 is probably a better engine than a Hemi when it comes to cost and maintenance. you can build a 440 to go fast if thats what you want. and who other than you is REALLY going to know its not the original 440 unless they start to tear into the numbers! stick with the 440 that you paid for if you want a hemi you can do that later :Twocents:

Lennard

Thanks again guys, i appreciate your input.
I have one more question about the '69 440 versus a new 426 Hemi, I'm not planning on ever selling my Charger but would the car be worth more with the period correct engine in it or with a crate Hemi?

@Jeroen: I was planning on using that engine in my '68 Charger.

Cooter

Quote from: Lennard on January 19, 2010, 10:24:50 PM
I have one more question about the '69 440 versus a new 426 Hemi, I'm not planning on ever selling my Charger but would the car be worth more with the period correct engine in it or with a crate Hemi?

If you say your never gonna sell it, then why worry bout what it's worth? :shruggy:
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

T3/RT

Today id say the Hemi Charger would be worth more. In the future not sure(probably the date coded engine).

I would use the 69 440......

1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2002 Chrysler Sebring LXi Conv.
2005 Chrysler 300C
2010 Dodge Challenger SRT

Lennard

Quote from: Cooter on January 19, 2010, 10:51:58 PM

If you say your never gonna sell it, then why worry bout what it's worth? :shruggy:

I've said i do not plan on ever selling it, I did not say that i'm never going to sell it.  I've learned trough life to never say never.
Example: I know a guy that had a hobby car forever and had to sell it due to being laid off at work.

68X426

Quote from: Lennard on January 19, 2010, 10:24:50 PMworth more with the period correct engine in it or with a crate Hemi?

I think that by crate Hemi you mean a third generation 5.7 or 6.1 fuel injected motor. To answer the question, if all other things are equal .......... BUT THEY WOULDN'T BE. Here's what I mean.

A buyer would reasonably expect that the car with a modern Hemi would have all new 21st century suspension, steering, and tons of new technology in frame, driveline, etc. A complete modern package.

A buyer of the car with a period correct 440 motor would reasonably expect 1969 technology, restored and top quality, but also period correct and therefore old. A complete restored old package.

So, the old 440 is worth more than the modern Hemi unless the rest of the Charger is upgraded to new and matching technology. From the standpoint of selling, the 440 is a best bet to hold its value, unless you plan on investing really big in a re-design of all components to match the modern Hemi. :Twocents:

If by crate you mean the 426 Hemi 2 carb motor that is period correct, can that be done? Question to the forum: is there such a thing as a crate motor built on a 64-71 Hemi block? I thought crate motors are mass produced using new blocks. :shruggy: There were only something like 8000 Hemis made during those 8 years.
Can a crate motor Hemi ever be period correct?

Coming from a old (car and owner) 68 Hemi owner: go with the 440. It's a winner. :yesnod:

We Want to Help You.

1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Belgium R/T -68

If I had a Charger R/T without engine I would put the "correct" enginetype back in, the correctness would then depend on how correct the rest of the car is.

I will put a Hemi into my challenger vert since it was a 318 non matching and I dreamt 30 years to have one and I will propably not afford one of the handfull ones
around. It's a moore demanding engine tuning and spacewise but I guess it's something you have to take if you really want one. I don't believe in building a Hemi clone
to try to earn some money at a sale.

Per
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

Lennard

Thanks for your opinion guys.

@68X426: I was thinking about putting a new crate 426 Hemi in it but most of you guys mentioned in your reply to go with the '69 440 so that's what i will do.  :thumbs:
Thing is... i just love the look of those massive valve covers and heads so i will have to put a Hemi in my '68 since i bought that one without a drive train.