News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New charger specialties tic toc tach issues.....fixed! :o)

Started by 70charginglizard, January 17, 2010, 10:02:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

70charginglizard

I recently bought a new tic toc tach from charger specialties and put it in the liz. I installed it using a new tic toc tach harness I also bought from them and hooked everything up per the harness and tach instructions but for some reason the tach is jumping around when running.
The clock is doing something weird as well. It stops working as soon as I turn the headlights on which is really weird to me seeing that the 12v power source I used doesnt even come close to the headlight switch. I ran a straight wire to the battery and put an in line fuse between the battery and it.
Any idea what might be causing my issues here?

Here is how I hooked it up.

Ran the white off the clock straight to the battery and put an in line fuse between it.

Ran the grey wire from the terminal on the tic tock tach to the negative terminal on the coil.

Ran the blue wire from the round stud on the tic tock tach to one of the blank non used accessory fuse box terminal.

70charginglizard

skip68

skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

70charginglizard

Quote from: skip68 on January 17, 2010, 10:08:59 PM
Do you have an MSD ignition box ?

Nope. Everything is pretty standard under the hood regarding the ignition system.

70charginglizard

skip68

:scratchchin:    :shruggy:   I need to think some more.   Nice clean engine compartment.   :drool5: :2thumbs:
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

troutstreamnm

Are the other instruments working properly and is your instrumental panel in the dash frame?  I just fixed a wiper motor electrical problem and noticed that all my gauges were doing wierd things if the instrument panel was not in the dash frame.  When the panel went fully into the frame everything worked normally.  Probably a ground issue.  Just curious if your panel was in or out of the dash frame?  :shruggy:
2008 SRT-08 Challenger
1971 GA4 Challenger
1970 FK5 Charger 500

skip68

70charginglizard

Quote from: troutstreamnm on January 17, 2010, 10:33:00 PM
Are the other instruments working properly and is your instrumental panel in the dash frame?  I just fixed a wiper motor electrical problem and noticed that all my gauges were doing wierd things if the instrument panel was not in the dash frame.  When the panel went fully into the frame everything worked normally.  Probably a ground issue.  Just curious if your panel was in or out of the dash frame?  :shruggy:

I kinda thought about that one as well. All other gages are working just fine and the instrument panel is solidly place in the car. I did not remove it to put this new tic toc tach in.

I just pulled the old clock out thru the back and then put the new tick toc tach in from the back and then screwed it all in and connected up all the wiring.

These tic toc tacs are kinda weird that way. No ground wire what so ever. It must get it's ground using the interfacing contact of the tach to the instrument cluster I assume.

I was only able to get two of the three tic toc tack mounting screws in. Perhaps thats my problem.  
70charginglizard

71_deputy

sounds like a grounding problem as stated- I always use a grounding wire from the dash frame to the cluster metal frame!!!
1971 Deputy Challenger 383 4bbl-- 1 of 2 made!!
1967 Charger 440/auto
1973 Road Runner 340/4 speed
2000 1500 Ram Van

70charginglizard

Quote from: 71_deputy on January 18, 2010, 09:20:08 AM
sounds like a grounding problem as stated- I always use a grounding wire from the dash frame to the cluster metal frame!!!

I'll try that tonight when I get home.

Thanks for the tip. I'll let you know if it works.
70charginglizard

70charginglizard

Quote from: 70charginglizard on January 18, 2010, 02:39:11 PM
Quote from: 71_deputy on January 18, 2010, 09:20:08 AM

I'll try that tonight when I get home.

Thanks for the tip. I'll let you know if it works.

Yep that was it. That one little screw I left out was where the backlight plugs in and that must be where the tic toc tach gets its ground from.

Problem solved. Works great now. Thanks for the tip guys. Much appreciated.  :2thumbs:
70charginglizard

troutstreamnm

:2thumbs: Good job.  I can't believe I helped someone with an electrical problem  :smilielol:
2008 SRT-08 Challenger
1971 GA4 Challenger
1970 FK5 Charger 500

resq302

Quote from: troutstreamnm on January 18, 2010, 10:18:16 PM
:2thumbs: Good job.  I can't believe I helped someone with an electrical problem  :smilielol:

There's a first time for everything. :2thumbs:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

71_deputy

1971 Deputy Challenger 383 4bbl-- 1 of 2 made!!
1967 Charger 440/auto
1973 Road Runner 340/4 speed
2000 1500 Ram Van

bull

Are those tachs still off from the originals? Seems they were clocked like 500 rpms different than the OE ones and the number font was off too.