News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

figured out the gremlin again.

Started by 70charginglizard, January 14, 2010, 11:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

70charginglizard

As usual it was that stupid bulkhead connector.

When I pushed it in for painting I didn't make a good connection after pushed it back out for reconnection.

I still think there is another short somewhere in the taped up section between the firewall and the ignition key.

The one wire harness I have yet to replace....The imfamous dash harness. Thats gonna cost me but It really does need to be done.

I really need to think about doing that one. It's always causing me grief.

Fixed for now and the car is running again.
70charginglizard

69bronzeT5

Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

70charginglizard

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on January 14, 2010, 11:28:46 PM
What exactly is it doing?

It was that blue ignition wire where it comes out of the bulkhead on the engine side. removed it from the bulkhead connector and ran it thru so I could get to it from the engine side if it has any type of issues.

Well where I spliced it I taped around it with electrical tape and the electrical tape got all gooey and cause the two connectors not to make contact. So I cleaned it all up and it is all better now.

No more problems.  ;)
70charginglizard

69bronzeT5

Ah okay. Glad to hear it's fixed Kelly! My Duster had some electrical issues. Turned out a missing ground strap was the cause of it all!

70charginglizard

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on January 15, 2010, 12:03:02 AM
Ah okay. Glad to hear it's fixed Kelly! My Duster had some electrical issues. Turned out a missing ground strap was the cause of it all!

Thats pretty funnny man because when I started clearing the firewall componenets off to do the engine bay painting I noticed that when we did the six pack we actually forgot to connect back up the grounding strap to the motor there.

Good thing I did that paint job or I would have been chasing that issue as well,.  ;)
70charginglizard

69bronzeT5

Quote from: 70charginglizard on January 15, 2010, 12:08:38 AM
Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on January 15, 2010, 12:03:02 AM

Thats pretty funnny man because when I started clearing the firewall componenets off to do the engine bay painting I noticed that when we did the six pack we actually forgot to connect back up the grounding strap to the motor there.

Good thing I did that paint job or I would have been chasing that issue as well,.  ;)

That's exactly what was missing, the ground strap from the block to the firewall. It fixed all the light problems and it also fixed the issue of it not starting sometimes with the key.

bakerhillpins

Quote from: 70charginglizard on January 15, 2010, 12:01:22 AM
Well where I spliced it I taped around it with electrical tape and the electrical tape got all gooey and cause the two connectors not to make contact. So I cleaned it all up and it is all better now.

Did you use a splicing connector or just twist the wires together and use tape to hold it? The former will last, the latter will degrade into the same situation you had before.
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

ipstrategies

Is it best to twist and solder joints or use a connector? I am doing a little wiring adjustments to my harness while the dash is out of car.
1971 Dodge Charger SE 383 Magnum
1999 Dodge Durango 5.9
1995 Chrysler LHS

b5blue

For permanent splices I use crimp connectors I get at boating stores. The insulating tube is heat shrink with sealant inside. You crimp then heat it up and the insulator shrinks down as the sealant melts encapsulating the whole thing and gluing the wires together. I've even used them in the bilge area of boats and they can live underwater fine. Just make certain the wires are clean before you start and I have never had on fail, you can't even pull it apart. I have splices in my car that are 15 years old and still perfect.  :2thumbs: 

bakerhillpins

:iagree:

I have always read/been told that mechanical connections for wiring are better electrically than soldering them. Has something to do with the metal to metal contact and the deformity that occurs with the crimp at the area of contact.

The insulating tube with sealant inside is also a very good idea.  :yesnod:  Plumbing places may have these too. I used a butt version of that splice to wire up my new submersible well pump. The splice sits under water and works fine.
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

440charger68

haha i got too many gremlins, they love messin with my car
life's a garden, dig it.

ipstrategies

I will have to visit a boat store, Do they sell in small packs and different sizes?
1971 Dodge Charger SE 383 Magnum
1999 Dodge Durango 5.9
1995 Chrysler LHS

b5blue

Yes! Ancor Products....."thermoretractables".....(Be sure they are labeled that)  :2thumbs:

74Rallye

Now I'm confused. I thought that twisting, soldering and heat shrink were the best way to join 2 wires. I've always avoided the convenience of crimp connectors because I thought they provided a lower quality connection over the long haul, especially for higher current connections. I do know from experience that solder will often crack on terminals mounted to a circuit board in cars from vibrations.

70charginglizard

I think the key is shring wrap to protect it from the elements.
70charginglizard

b5blue

Flux core solder is acid (the flux) and MUST be cleaned after use or the acid will continue eat at everything. That could be the problem for some. Having made harnesses in the USAF and worked on many boats I found issues of mechanical connection, corrosion, and aging dissimilar metals electrolytic action (ever notice how fast steel will corrode against aluminum). If you have a good mechanical attachment to the wires insulator with heat shrink tubing so no stress is put on the conductor it protects the connection (along with proper supporting) if the connection is tight it conducts best lowering resistance and using quality connectors made of copper or brass (possibly plated) not the cheap steel one's you get a big pile of for 3.99. Look at a factory connector the crimp runs up onto the wires insulator and all components are the same copper. Soldering is fine if the wires are already tightly wrapped together then cleaned completely and shrink wrapped. The devil is in the details. I also use De-Oxit by Caig Laboratory's it really helps keep old connections working. Check it out on Techni-Tools site.