News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Throwback Pepsi & Mt. Dew.....>>>>>

Started by Johnny SixPack, January 15, 2010, 07:48:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny SixPack

I don't know if you guys had seen these, but it's a cool deal:

Back to the original formulas and old school designs.

Plus its real sugar instead high fructose corn syrup. :2thumbs:

I grabbed a six pack of 20 oz. bottles at Target today ($1.00 a bottle even).

Johnny
Johnny's Herd:
'69 Charger SE, '70 Charger R/T SE 496 Six Pack, '72 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron, '74 International Scout II, '85 Ford F-250 Diesel, '97 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

"If its got tits or tires, you're going to have trouble with it." - Unknown

Got Dodge Fever? There's only one cure.....Charger!

Charger-Bodie

IMO the Throwback Dew tastes better,but I dont care for the throwback Pepsi.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Johnny SixPack

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on January 15, 2010, 07:51:01 PM
IMO the Throwback Dew tastes better,but I dont care for the throwback Pepsi.

Yeah, I'm a certified Coca-Cola guy (nice thing about TX is ready access to Mexican Cokes which use real sugar and come in glass bottles), so I'll pass on the Pepsi, but I was stoked about Mt. Dew.

Good to hear someone's opinion on it, as I haven't tried one of the bottles I bought today.
Johnny's Herd:
'69 Charger SE, '70 Charger R/T SE 496 Six Pack, '72 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron, '74 International Scout II, '85 Ford F-250 Diesel, '97 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Charger-Bodie

I have kind of a strange opinion of Cola. I prefer Pepsi over Coke in a plastic bottle and Coke over Pepsi in a can. If you put eiter in a glass bottle it tastes twice as good...............I also for the most part prefer Coke over Pepsi.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .

dkn1997

I don't get it?  so regular pepsi doesn't have sugar anymore?  that doesn't sound right.  I thought that the diet soda that all the companies make is an alternative to regular soda?   why offer the alternative if the real stuff doesn't have sugar?

I'm a coke guy myself but that whole "real sugar" thing confuses me
RECHRGED

Manfred318

I love the Dew and Pepsi throwback. I bought them up last year when they done it. They should keep them around all the time.

Quote from: dkn1997 on January 15, 2010, 09:33:20 PM
I don't get it?  so regular pepsi doesn't have sugar anymore?  that doesn't sound right.  I thought that the diet soda that all the companies make is an alternative to regular soda?   why offer the alternative if the real stuff doesn't have sugar?

Coke and Pepsi are both made with High Fructrose Corn Syrup instead of real sugar these days. Its cheaper.

Current MoPars:
1968 Charger. 318 Out of commission:(
1975 Dart Swinger. 225 Pops daily ride.
1990 Dodge Ram. 360FI My daily ride.
2007 Magnum R/T. 5.7 Family wagon.

Ponch ®

I bought a 12 case of Pepsi on Sunday for the football games. I wasnt all that impressed with it...maybe i just had a bad batch, but it leaves a diet soda-like aftertaste.

Now, Pepsi and Coke are fine and dandy...but I love RC Cola.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

Johnny SixPack

I don't get it?  so regular pepsi doesn't have sugar anymore?  that doesn't sound right.  I thought that the diet soda that all the companies make is an alternative to regular soda?   why offer the alternative if the real stuff doesn't have sugar?

dkn, here's an interesting read about HFCY (high fructose corn syrup):

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/12058364/

"However, high-fructose corn syrup is about 75 percent sweeter than sugar, is less expensive than sugar, and mixes better in many foods than sugar. When it was created in the '70s, the sweetener was thought to be a revolutionary advance in food science because of its stability and usefulness in a variety of foods. Food manufacturers (especially soda manufacturers) began using high-fructose corn syrup to save money. Part of the reason corn syrup is less expensive than sugar is because the U.S. Department of Agriculture's farm bill subsidizes corn growers to grow more corn than we need!"

Ponch, when my dad was stationed in Georgia we used to eat at a place called Po Folks. Down home southern style food kinda place, and they sold RC. Never had it before then, or Moon Pies. You didn't see either in Alaska. I dig it when I can find it around here.

Anyone know if they still make Jolt Cola?
Johnny's Herd:

Manfred318

Yea they still make Jolt Cola. The company filed for bankruptcy not too long ago tho.

Current MoPars:

moparstuart

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on January 15, 2010, 09:27:12 PM
I have kind of a strange opinion of Cola. I prefer Pepsi over Coke in a plastic bottle and Coke over Pepsi in a can. If you put eiter in a glass bottle it tastes twice as good...............I also for the most part prefer Coke over Pepsi.
you need help!!!!! :hah:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

dkn1997

Quote from: Johnny SixPack on January 15, 2010, 11:22:53 PM

"However, high-fructose corn syrup is about 75 percent sweeter than sugar, is less expensive than sugar, and mixes better in many foods than sugar. When it was created in the '70s, the sweetener was thought to be a revolutionary advance in food science because of its stability and usefulness in a variety of foods. Food manufacturers (especially soda manufacturers) began using high-fructose corn syrup to save money. Part of the reason corn syrup is less expensive than sugar is because the U.S. Department of Agriculture's farm bill subsidizes corn growers to grow more corn than we need!"

Ponch, when my dad was stationed in Georgia we used to eat at a place called Po Folks. Down home southern style food kinda place, and they sold RC. Never had it before then, or Moon Pies. You didn't see either in Alaska. I dig it when I can find it around here.

I never knew that.  thanks for the info. 
RECHRGED

ipstrategies

HFC is used in about every food processed in the US.
Other countries use sugar still. In the US we still have old tariffs (taxes) on sugar imports (this keeps the costs higher then other countires)
Think about it this way if Mexico and all of these other countries that are poor use sugar?? when HFC cost less and is more stable blah, blah, blah.
I only mention this my family has tried the last few years to remove HFC from our diets and when we started looking at all the foods it is in  and idd the research on the bad affects of HFC, on people in the US the 35 years. I am 44 and remember real sugar in things.
Next time you open a can of anything or look at ingredients in food you will see HFC.
I am a mountain dew fan my whole life and am planning on picking up a few cases of that.
1971 Dodge Charger SE 383 Magnum
1999 Dodge Durango 5.9
1995 Chrysler LHS

BrianShaughnessy

I emptied out my local grocery store of throwback Pepsi the other day.
:2thumbs:     Good stuff.   

I like Mt. Dew also.   Just haven't gotten any throwback dew yet.

Coke is good if you got a clogged kitchen sink.   

Otherwise I'm not a big fan of HFC the more I look into the subject.   

And I pretty much think that aspartame is equivalent to rat poison and shouldn't be consumed by humans.   My ex used that stuff in her coffee and got to acting all messed up with migraines.   
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

Ponch ®

around here it's one of the "value" sodas. I don't why, cuz to me it tastes better than the two big colas. You can walk into a 7-11 or grocery store and buy a 2 liter bottle for 89 cents.  :shruggy:

I still see Jolt cola at some places, but it's usually next to the Red Bull and Monster-type drinks so I just figured that the brand reinvented itself as an energy drink

Quote from: ipstrategies on January 16, 2010, 09:26:55 AM
HFC is used in about every food processed in the US.
Other countries use sugar still. In the US we still have old tariffs (taxes) on sugar imports (this keeps the costs higher then other countires)
Think about it this way if Mexico and all of these other countries that are poor use sugar?? when HFC cost less and is more stable blah, blah, blah.
I only mention this my family has tried the last few years to remove HFC from our diets and when we started looking at all the foods it is in  and idd the research on the bad affects of HFC, on people in the US the 35 years. I am 44 and remember real sugar in things.
Next time you open a can of anything or look at ingredients in food you will see HFC.
I am a mountain dew fan my whole life and am planning on picking up a few cases of that.

That's why there's somewhat of a cult following for "mexican" coke and pepsi. Even then, those still taste better than the throwback pepsi.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

Mike DC

Is this issue the reason that non-USA sodas all seem to taste a bit different from USA stuff?  I've noticed that difference in England and in Mexico. 

greenpigs

The throwback Dew is great and the pepsi tastes like its been open a couple hours.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

Landonsrt

Quote from: Ponch ® on January 15, 2010, 10:14:31 PM
I bought a 12 case of Pepsi on Sunday for the football games. I wasnt all that impressed with it...maybe i just had a bad batch, but it leaves a diet soda-like aftertaste.

Now, Pepsi and Coke are fine and dandy...but I love RC Cola.

I CANT STAND THE DIET AFTERTASTE! RC, havent had that in years. Thats all I used to drink with my grandfather when he was alive..

Coke man myself. or Dr. Pepper.

Silver R/T

I remember drinking pepsi from glass jugs. That was best Pepsi I've tasted.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

69charger2002

i love both the throwbacks. it should be permanent.
trav
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

BigBlackDodge

Were you stationed at Moody AFB?

BBD

TylerCharger69

Yeah....I bought some of the throwback Dew myself.....a lot better!!!  But ANYTHING in the glass bottle is going to be better!!!!

Manfred318

I found the throwback this evening in Dr. Pepper too. I havent tried it yet, but I bought a 20oz bottle.

I also got a taste of the Mexican Coke and Pepsi. Man those are great :drool5: There is a convience store in the middle of town here that sells them. Its the only place I have ever seen them around here. They arent cheap tho. It was $5.63 for 3 bottles, but man it was worth it. :yesnod:

Current MoPars:

71ChallengeHer

I've seen them . I haven't tried any yet. I use to love Frostie Root Beer. My grandma use to always have it at her house.  Check out this site http://www.sodapopstop.com/products/browse.cfm?link=26&s=1

charger Downunder

So we are lucky as we dont grow corn like you do as we only have sugar in our pepsi and coke.
[/quote]

69Charger_440

None of those drinks have anything on Big Red.  :popcrn:

hemi-hampton

I prefer the real thing :scratchchin: :2thumbs:  LEON.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: hemi-hampton on January 18, 2010, 07:20:03 PM
I prefer the real thing :scratchchin: :2thumbs:  LEON.

If I remember my retro commercials "the real thing" is Coca-Cola.

hemi-hampton

I got plenty of Cokes too, look in the background above cans. :scratchchin:

TCB09RT

That real sugar makes a huge difference in the taste of the Pepsi, especially in glass bottles.
Of course nothing beats my home town favorite:
Faygo Rock & Rye, now with real cane sugar!

moparstuart

Quote from: TCB09RT on January 19, 2010, 02:06:17 PM
That real sugar makes a huge difference in the taste of the Pepsi, especially in glass bottles.
Of course nothing beats my home town favorite:
Faygo Rock & Rye, now with real cane sugar!
is that a cola ?  or what flavor is it  ?

ipstrategies

I picked up some Throwback Dew, I can actually taste the orange (citrus flavor almost like sprite or 7up flavor) I compared to regular dew and the flavors are not as distinctive. I am going to stock pile some though I have only seen it in cans and plastic, glass would be great. 
1971 Dodge Charger SE 383 Magnum
1999 Dodge Durango 5.9
1995 Chrysler LHS

moparstuart

As a kid in grade school i loved to run to the 7 -11 after school and get an ice ice icey cold DADS root beer in a bottle . Man i can still taste it just thinking about it .  It tastes so much better in the glass bottle .

TCB09RT

Rock & Rye is essentially a cherry cream cola.
Its totally delicious on its own, and goes very well with a dram of the spirits :cheers:

BB1

Delete my profile

Arthu®

Quote from: BB1 on January 19, 2010, 04:46:36 PM
I drink water or ice tea only.  :nana:

I actually prefer that too... I drank so much cola and other soft drinks with way too much sugar in them over the last years that I grew tired of them and switched to sparkling water and ice tea...

Btw interesting topic I never knew about the HFC.

Arthur
Striving for world domination since 1986

LoneStar Mopar

Manfred318,  The pure cane sugar Dr. Pepper is not a promotion like the Mt. Dew or Pepsi; instead it is a regular production item. It is made at the Dublin, TX bottling plant. It is the only plant that makes Dr. Pepper with the cane sugar, and that is the only way that the Dublin plant makes it. For some reason they only sell it in the small area around that plant. I only live about 250-300 miles from the plant and I cant get it. However if I travel about 70 miles north of here all of the gas stations and grocery stores have it. If you go to Dublin they will give tours and at the end give you a free cane sugar Dr. Pepper in the glass bottle. Also if you have any vintage glass Dr. Pepper bottles they will fill them and cap them for you. 

Manfred318

Quote from: LoneStar Mopar on January 24, 2010, 03:33:02 PM
Manfred318,  The pure cane sugar Dr. Pepper is not a promotion like the Mt. Dew or Pepsi; instead it is a regular production item. It is made at the Dublin, TX bottling plant. It is the only plant that makes Dr. Pepper with the cane sugar, and that is the only way that the Dublin plant makes it. For some reason they only sell it in the small area around that plant. I only live about 250-300 miles from the plant and I cant get it. However if I travel about 70 miles north of here all of the gas stations and grocery stores have it. If you go to Dublin they will give tours and at the end give you a free cane sugar Dr. Pepper in the glass bottle. Also if you have any vintage glass Dr. Pepper bottles they will fill them and cap them for you. 
Hmm..Thats pretty cool. I didnt know they made it. I saw some at the gas station I frequent and thought it was one of those limited time things. I wonder if they will keep it around here. I thought it was pretty good.

Current MoPars:

elacruze

First thing I noticed when deploying to Iraq (Afghanistan too) is that the soda tastes...'different'. Not bad, but distinctly different.
I was surprised to find that the throwback Pepsi is just what we have over here.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

Johnny SixPack

Quote from: BigBlackDodge on January 16, 2010, 10:06:30 PM

Were you stationed at Moody AFB?

BBD

Nah, my pops was stationed @ Robbins AFB and we lived out in Bonaire. :)
Johnny's Herd:

Johnny SixPack

Quote from: charger Downunder on January 17, 2010, 01:58:08 AM
So we are lucky as we dont grow corn like you do as we only have sugar in our pepsi and coke.

Yeah, I miss that about New Zealand.

No HFCS in everything.

It's crazy that it's in bread, soda, snacks, etc. here.

Gotta love that the U.S. federal government decided that it's so good for us (taxation, subsidies).  :D :icon_smile_big:

Not trying to be political here, just sarcastic.  :slap: :2thumbs:
Johnny's Herd: