News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68 RT for a parts car?

Started by Rayzor, January 15, 2010, 03:40:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rayzor

I found a 68 Rt 383  four speed car sittin in a cow field. The owner said I can drag it away for 500 bucks. The motor is still in place as is most of the car except the rear end. The floors are rusty and I bet the trunk is to. But what I am after is the exhaust manifolds and the rear metal tray behind the rear window. Will I burn forever for hackin up this car?

TeeWJay426

74 Charger SE, 400 HP, 4-speed

69bronzeT5

I wouldn't cut up a R/T. However, you sure it has a 383 or it's a R/T? The engines available on '68 R/Ts were the 440 and 426.....no 383s.
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

charger_cody

Well for 500 bucks I would say do it. Does it run? How long has it been sitting there? You could part out the rest you don't need.

Cody

b5blue

Get it out of there! THEN figure out just what it is.  :yesnod:

Dans 68

Quote from: b5blue on January 15, 2010, 03:54:46 PM
Get it out of there! THEN figure out just what it is.  :yesnod:

Agreed!!! Don't part it out until you know what it is...and we tell you to.  :D  :icon_smile_wink:

If it is an original 4-speed it is rare, no matter how you cut it (pun intended).

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

6bblgt

Buy it!  Remove the exhaust manifolds.  Sell the rest on Ebay.  Make money!  Purchase AMD dutchman panel.

Question answered.  Problem solved!!

charger_cody

Bravo 6bblgt!!!!!!!

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Cody

Dans 68

Let me amend my comment. Grab the vin, fender tag and what ever else identifies the car. If it is an XP (non-R/T) '68 4-speed then you have a very rare car. If it is a XS (R/T) it is more desirable (just not as rare). Grab it, I.D. it, and post it here. Opinions will fly like fly balls to right field in Yankee stadium, but it will all be good.

The bottom line is that if it becomes your car, do what you want. Just give us the chance to dissuade you.  :yesnod:

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

Rayzor

It is a xs vin and the fender tag is there also. Not positive its a 383 thats just what the old man said he thought it was. I was not about to climb in a spiders nest to check. The car has been sitting were it is since about 1976 so the elements have taken there toll. I guess anything can be saved but there is alot of floor rust and one quarter is kinda rusty. I am gonna go back with a thermos of coffee and 300 and see what he has to say.

SG1022

Quote from: Rayzor on January 15, 2010, 05:58:52 PM
It is a xs vin and the fender tag is there also. Not positive its a 383 thats just what the old man said he thought it was. I was not about to climb in a spiders nest to check. The car has been sitting were it is since about 1976 so the elements have taken there toll. I guess anything can be saved but there is alot of floor rust and one quarter is kinda rusty. I am gonna go back with a thermos of coffee and 300 and see what he has to say.

Shouldn't you be working? Nice find BTW  :2thumbs:

Dukes69

Quote from: Rayzor on January 15, 2010, 05:58:52 PM

damn dude.  Its only $500, why the swindle?   ::) ;D  :nana:

moparnole

Rayzor

Not a swindle to ask, besides with a little whiskey in the coffee it makes the dealings smoother. The biggest problem is going to be getting it out of the field. I tried to drive out to it and my truck (Dodge cummins) about sank to the doors. I think five is fair because there are the parts I need, I am just having a hard time with the idea of cutting it up. I may pull some parts and sell it for enough for the rear panel. Hey SG, I am working!! ha ha ha

tan top

sounds like a deal !!  buy it dude , check all the numbers !! if matching , & it is a real R/T ,  would not part it  , look at all the repop  sheet metal from Amd now !!!   :yesnod:  , can't wait to see pictures dude  :yesnod:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

SG1022

Quote from: Rayzor on January 15, 2010, 06:26:05 PM
Not a swindle to ask, besides with a little whiskey in the coffee it makes the dealings smoother. The biggest problem is going to be getting it out of the field. I tried to drive out to it and my truck (Dodge cummins) about sank to the doors. I think five is fair because there are the parts I need, I am just having a hard time with the idea of cutting it up.
Don't make my bring my 3500 cummins down there  :icon_smile_big:
QuoteI may pull some parts and sell it for enough for the rear panel. Hey SG, I am working!! ha ha ha

oh yeah *cough cough* so am I   ;)

SG1022

Quote from: tan top on January 15, 2010, 06:37:58 PM
sounds like a deal !!  buy it dude , check all the numbers !! if matching , & it is a real R/T ,  would not part it  , look at all the repop  sheet metal from Amd now !!!   :yesnod:  , can't wait to see pictures dude  :yesnod:

AMD metal costs a few bucks, and he already has a charger , not that you can ever have enough. (see -> 69charger2002)

Rayzor

I have no interest in doing another restoration. God knows I have almost had to sell a kidney for the bucks to finish my 68. I will see about getting some pics and details when I head up there again.

Troy

If it's a real R/T 4-speed it's worth a whole lot more than the parts you can get off it even if it's mostly rusty - especially if that 383 happens to really be a 440 with the matching numbers. I agree with selling the car and buying AMD replacement parts for your car (and have a pile of cash left over). Oh, and check under it for the Dana.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

rav440

1973 PLYMOUTH road runner GTX

RamchargerMopar

Quote from: Troy on January 15, 2010, 07:17:32 PM
If it's a real R/T 4-speed it's worth a whole lot more than the parts you can get off it even if it's mostly rusty - especially if that 383 happens to really be a 440 with the matching numbers. I agree with selling the car and buying AMD replacement parts for your car (and have a pile of cash left over). Oh, and check under it for the Dana.

Troy

Didnt he say the rear was gone????
Mopar or No Car!

Troy

Quote from: RamchargerMopar on January 15, 2010, 07:30:43 PM
Quote from: Troy on January 15, 2010, 07:17:32 PM

Troy

Didnt he say the rear was gone????
Whoops! Well, I thought I read it all.

Troy

Rayzor

Nope no rearend or trans in the car. would be nice to score a dana. Thats another problem is how to get the car out of a pasture with no axle. I may have to go find one to bolt in and pull it with a long cable. But I am certain its a RT car as I stared at the vin. The motor is a guess at this point. I may just snatch a few things and list it for someone else to fix, and use the proceeds to fix my car. I would think that it should cover its cost and the metal out back. Its grill is all there to as a bonus. 

Tilar

What part of the world is this thing in?
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

RCKSTR

66FBCharger

The engine has to be worth around $500 by itself.
In my opinion, buy it and then decide want you want to do with it. By looking at what rotbox 69 Chargers sell for on Ebag, I am confident you could more than double your money.
I would love to see some pictures.
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

200MPH

Charger

Skyview69

charger01

Your killin us....where's the pics?

bullit68

i bought my 68 charger rt for $400.00.it was being used as a parts car for a 68 383 two barrel car(which was quite rusty also).mine is pp1 red,white int,white stripes,black vinyl top.440,4 spd,tach,console,ps,pdb,14"magnums with redline tires but missing all of its drivetrain.of course this was back in '88.

SG1022

Thought you old farts would have figured it out by now  :nana:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,65898.0.html

That's the car.

Just got off the phone with him a few minutes ago, but forgot to ask about the car.

Last I heard he pulled-
-fender /vin tags
-seats(which were in great condition, especially considering the rest of the car
-grill
-all emblems
-steering wheel?
-Console

and probably some other stuff I am forgetting. He ended up paying 300 for it, and the car didn't care who wanted it out of the swamp, it's stayin there.

HeavyFuel

:scratchchin:

Hmmm.    

I can see a loose vin and fender tag for a R/t 4 speed car looking for a pristine 318 donor car in the near future.  

Oops, I'm sorry, was that out loud? :angel:

SG1022

Quote from: HeavyFuel on February 03, 2010, 06:06:34 PM
:scratchchin:

Hmmm.    

I can see a loose vin and fender tag for a R/t 4 speed car looking for a pristine 318 donor car in the near future.  

Oops, I'm sorry, was that out loud? :angel:

He's no Bk auto

Rayzor

I didnt pull the numbers and just left them. Truth is most of the fender tag crumbled when I was wiping the moss off it. Look at the pics of it, and you will see why it has found its resting place. There comes a time when even a charger has met its end this one did it years ago.

HeavyFuel

Just messin' with ya.

I know it's few and far between that you find an individual that will stoop to switching tags.

Troy

Quote from: HeavyFuel on February 04, 2010, 11:20:16 AM
Just messin' with ya.

I know it's few and far between that you find an individual that will stoop to switching tags.
Unfortunately, it's pretty common. You really don't have to look far.

Troy

HeavyFuel

Didn't know that....

I suppose I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt.....probably why my car has been at the body shop for years.

Rayzor

Besides, Its fraud if you sell it, and I ALWAYS get busted for trying anything. Ask my wife. I figure it would be a week before I was standing in front of congress accused of being a mopar terrorist for my efforts :shruggy:

BIRD67

what other stuff is lying around there? can you get more pics of the charger?
I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own. I resign. -Number 6, The Prisoner

R.I.P. Matthew Fraser 4/30/10

Rayzor

Its like walking in a junkyard back in 1975. I wont go back in there until summer as the water in alot of places is chest deep