News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Fuel filler neck seal questions

Started by bull, December 04, 2005, 02:03:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

Where's a good place to get a fuel filler neck seal and wasn't there a warning about one manufacturer of those things that made some that were falling apart? Or was that some other fuel-related part?

y3chargerrt

I think people were having problems with round seal that seals the fill neck to the gas tank itself.

Shakey

Quote from: y3chargerrt on December 04, 2005, 03:39:04 PM
I think people were having problems with round seal that seals the fill neck to the gas tank itself.

:iagree:

The problem was with the filler neck grommet, the rubber grommet that goes in between the filler neck and the tank itself.  I purchased one of those directly from Chrysler.  I will be installing it very soon.

The filler neck / trunk floor seal I purchased from Year One.

bull

Gotcha. Have you guys seen any one that carries the fuel tank pad, ie., the tar paper liner that goes between the tank and the trunk floor?

Chryco Psycho

the pad can be made out of virtually anything that will not absorb water , the plastic foam sheets 1/8 thick work well , no one will see it

Shakey

Quote from: bull on December 04, 2005, 07:58:45 PM
Gotcha. Have you guys seen any one that carries the fuel tank pad, ie., the tar paper liner that goes between the tank and the trunk floor?

YO sells them.  They also sell a complete resto gasket kit and a resto paint seal kit.  They seem pretty reasonable.

hemigeno

Chryco is right, no one will see it.  If you don't have any of the plastic/foam around, a scrap of 15# roofing felt should work nicely as well, and is pretty close to the same stuff they used back in the day.

PocketThunder

"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Shakey

Look for the Mopar # on the grommet.

4402tuff4u

Quote from: bull on December 04, 2005, 02:03:49 PM
Where's a good place to get a fuel filler neck seal and wasn't there a warning about one manufacturer of those things that made some that were falling apart? Or was that some other fuel-related part?

I bought mine from Hardens Muscle Car World (www.hardensmcw.com)

$15.00 for trunk filler neck rubber seal as shown in your picture & $15.00 for the new rubber mat for tank/trunk floor barrier.
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

JimShine

Performance car Graphics sells a nice tar paper style (they claim better than moisture absorbing foam) for $5

http://205.200.235.19/pcg/gaspad.htm

Just 6T9 CHGR

On the topic of the floor seals.....what is the size of the screw that holds it in place???
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

4402tuff4u

Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on April 06, 2006, 04:23:24 PM
On the topic of the floor seals.....what is the size of the screw that holds it in place???

Good question..............my new seal did not include screws and my Charger when I bought it was missing the screws. The seal was just placed there.

Shakey

Not sure of the size, but this is what they look like.

For reference, that page from the note pad is 68mm wide.

If I remember, I'll look this weekend as those four are already installed but I am sure I snagged some extra ones when I was in CA a couple months ago.

4402tuff4u

Quote from: Shakey on April 07, 2006, 07:14:33 AM

If I remember, I'll look this weekend as those four are already installed but I am sure I snagged some extra ones when I was in CA a couple months ago.

For those here in the US, 68 mm = 2 5/8" +/- , I'm going to guess that those screws are 19 mm (3/4") long and like a no. 10 screw (.19").
Shakey, can you get a length on the screws? Thanks for the help. In two weeks I'll be at Desert Valley, in Pheonix, AZ. I'll see what I can find!

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: 4402tuff4u on April 07, 2006, 07:33:53 AM

For those here in the US, 68 mm = 2 5/8" +/- , I'm going to guess that those screws are 19 mm (3/4") long and like a no. 10 screw (.19").
Shakey, can you get a length on the screws? Thanks for the help. In two weeks I'll be at Desert Valley, in Pheonix, AZ. I'll see what I can find!

See if ya can grab a set for me ;)   Ill pay the postage :thumbs:

Im gonna look through my spare parts to see if I have some....
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

phat69charger

Nacho-RT74

another options:
www.bradsnospart.com
www.buymopar.com

I'm sure they have it
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

4402tuff4u

Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on April 07, 2006, 05:42:53 PM

See if ya can grab a set for me ;)   Ill pay the postage :thumbs:

Im gonna look through my spare parts to see if I have some....

No problem. If I find the vent plug for the trunk, you can have that too. As a matter of fact I might have one already. Just need confirmation on the diameter of the hole for the vent pipe. Anyone?????

Just 6T9 CHGR

Thanks.   I did find some compareable screws in my pile Ill just use those.

I actually got an NOS tube plug on ebay...they still are available

phat69charger posted the link to the auction above
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

4402tuff4u

Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on April 10, 2006, 07:44:16 AM
Thanks.   I did find some compareable screws in my pile Ill just use those.

I actually got an NOS tube plug on ebay...they still are available

phat69charger posted the link to the auction above

Do you know the diameter of the hole for the plug or the plug itself for that matter?

Shakey

Hope these help you.

4402tuff4u

Thanks Shakey, that's great!! That helps locate the right ones! Now let see if I can find them over at Desert Valley. Did you leave anything left for me? :smilielol: :smilielol:

Just 6T9 CHGR

The hole has to be at least 7/8"...I have a 3/4" step drill bit and had to egg the hole out a bit....
see the topic here

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,12213.0.html

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

4402tuff4u

Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on April 10, 2006, 02:39:15 PM
The hole has to be at least 7/8"...I have a 3/4" step drill bit and had to egg the hole out a bit....
see the topic here

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,12213.0.html

Thanks Chris! Now I can let my autobody guy drill on. I have a bag full of plugs and a few have a holes for wire or tubes, that's why I needed to know the diameter. Now I can find the right one. :yesnod:  I hope you missed the rail wall. I have the center of the rail marked for him so if he stays within the lines, he'll miss the rail walls. I might do the drilling myself after all. Thanks again.