News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Factory 383 Magnum 68 Charger RT?

Started by Blakcharger440, January 14, 2010, 06:47:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blakcharger440

Is there such an animal? I was talking to a friend this evening (200mph) and he says that there might have been a couple of 68 Charger RT's that left the factory with 383 magnums.

Anybody here own one? I didnt think you could ever get one with a 383.  :scratchchin:

Troy

No. You could get a Challenger R/T (1970 and 1971) with a 383 but the default engine in a 1968 Charger R/T was the 440 with the only option being a 426 Hemi.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

RTDaddy

To all'
"Never say never."  I'm not sure on the 68's but a guy around here had a 69 R/T from the factory with a 383.  He was an engineering type and figured the shorter stroke motor would wind up quicker and not be lugging on the hills around here so much, this better fuel economy.  He also had it ordered as a column shift, with buddy seat and luggage rack due to using it for a family hauler.

"IF YOU'RE UNDER CONTROL, YOU AIN'T GOING FAST ENOUGH."

6bblgt

There has NEVER been a documented 383 Charger R/T.

Troy

I'd certainly need to see documentation on that. Window sticker, build sheet, fender tag, etc.

I know there guys who had the dealer modify the cars before delivery (six pack setups, etc.) so I could agree see that. It just wouldn't make sense to pay the extra money and take the hit on the insurance to put a 383 in an R/T. It would make more sense to put the R/T equipment on a 383 car.

Troy

bull

Quote from: RTDaddy on January 14, 2010, 07:21:29 PM
To all'
"Never say never."  I'm not sure on the 68's but a guy around here had a 69 R/T from the factory with a 383.  He was an engineering type and figured the shorter stroke motor would wind up quicker and not be lugging on the hills around here so much, this better fuel economy.  He also had it ordered as a column shift, with buddy seat and luggage rack due to using it for a family hauler.

Yea, everywhere I've lived there have been guys who had something no one else ever had. Everything they did was done better, faster, bigger, stronger, lasted longer, etc. But ask them a couple questions and their facade comes crumbling down. I think I would have asked your guy why he bothered talking Chrysler into giving him an R/T Charger with a 383 when they made a crapload of regular Chargers with 383s already? There's minimal difference between the two so why would the company bend the rules just so one know-it-all could have a one-off car? The truth is the guy was spoonfeeding everyone a bunch of BS and as usual most people just gobbled it up.

200MPH

hmm thats what i had heard At a Charger meet that you could get an RT with 383  :shruggy:
Charger

Blakcharger440

I had heard this from a couple of people years ago before 200MPH had told me about it. I already knew that they had came with either a 440 or Hemi and that you could get it in a Challenger...but I wasnt talking about a Chally.

bull

But the question is why? Why would Chrysler build it? They built 2nd gen R/Ts with 440s and 426s and base Chargers with 225s, 318s and 383s. The company made both so how is life made better for anyone by mixing the two? If anything it just creates a bunch of hassles. By definition the 2nd gen Charger R/Ts came with either a 426 or 440 so one without a 426 or 440 is not an R/T. I don't see how anyone can prove otherwise. Even if glaring mistakes were made and one or two slipped out with 383s they would still be coded for 426s or 440s. :shruggy:

440charger68

my dad had a 68 r/t 383 and i have the fender tag never checked it though i dont know how to read them :scratchchin: all i know is its a real r/t cause of the first two letters being XS
life's a garden, dig it.

maxwellwedge

Let's see it! - There will be dozens tripping over each other to decode it for you. Me too!  :icon_smile_big:

maxwellwedge

440charger68

bottom of the fender tag says:
XS29 83 5 44 503 085377
oh and btw whoever has this car i would like it back hahah :yesnod:
life's a garden, dig it.

Troy

Quote from: 440charger68 on January 14, 2010, 09:22:44 PM
XS29 83 5 44 503 085377

It's coded for a 440.

Troy

maxwellwedge

Quote from: 440charger68 on January 14, 2010, 09:22:44 PM
XS29 83 5 44 503 085377

He most of told people it was a 383 so he could blow their doors off!  ;D

440charger68

haha well now i know  :2thumbs: and yea back in the day before he sold it, it was the terror of the neighborhood and the the burger king parking lot  :icon_smile_wink:
life's a garden, dig it.

69CoronetRT

Quote from: Blakcharger440 on January 14, 2010, 06:47:49 PM
Is there such an animal? I was talking to a friend this evening (200mph) and he says that there might have been a couple of 68 Charger RT's that left the factory with 383 magnums.

Anybody here own one? I didnt think you could ever get one with a 383.  :scratchchin:

As stated above...no 383's in R/Ts but also no 383 Magnum 335 HP engines in 68 Chargers.
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

BB1

Delete my profile

Hemidog

Dans 68

1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

RECHRGD

There never seems to be a shortage of these type of stories.  Someone misstates something at point in time and it gets passed along year after year until it becomes a fact.  I worked with a guy that said he ordered and received from the factory a standard '68 with a 440, although it was not the HP unit.  Of course he sold the car decades ago, so nothing can be proved.  Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

ChargersETC..ETC..

There's 335 HP   383 engines in 1968 Dodge Chargers! The ones with the factory 1968 383 4 bbl carb set up. I know of one thats just a XP Charger .Theres no special Magnum decal or pie pan left to id it as a Magnum 383 . Theres also no Hp stampings on the block.The color of the block is turquoise. I guess the air cleaner left the factory with out a pie pan to id it . I think 383 4 bbl or no id decal at all would be correct and Magnum 383 id would be incorrect :shruggy:

Is there such a thing as a Magnum 383 for 1968 Chargers? 

Dans 68

No, the Chargers had 330 hp 4-bbl 383's, and not the 335 hp version. There are many threads on this site about the differences. I'll find and post those threads later if needed (which I kind of doubt... :coolgleamA:).

As far as a Magnum 383 for the '68's...no.

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

bull

The 335 hp 383 is a Plymouth thing IIRC.

ChargersETC..ETC..

Here's what information I'm going by

It's a Year One parts catolog spring 99 issue - how to decode page

anyway where the 5th vin didgit is  ----- It's a " H "
The H equals 383 cid/330 hp OR 335 Hp 4-bbl v-8 1968-1969

I belive I have a 335 HP Charger! But...Absoultly NOT! a R/T

I have the broadcast sheet if anyone knows how to decode the -engine is # 62
                                                                                       carb # 33
                                                                                       carb choke#43
The carb is a avs in I rember correctly

I don't know if it's 330 HP or 335 Hp but...theres a 4 bbl on it it was there when I got it maybee the broadcast sheet info will help decode what I can call this engine so far I just call it a factory 383 4 bbl :shruggy:  please tell me it's not a factory 2bbl and I don't care if it's 330 or 335 Hp I'll be happy with it  :icon_smile_big:
Thanks

ChargersETC..ETC..

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,29953.0.html

My car 1968 charger also has Engine Code : 710
383 4 bbl auto on column with air cond

Any idea what the engines correct id term is other then 383 4bbl?

Charger-Bodie

In 68 H= 330 horse 383....in 69 H=335 horse 383
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

ChargersETC..ETC..

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on January 15, 2010, 11:40:03 AM

Thats good to know. Do you have a vintage engine referance manual or such that decodes that and is it apply to all chrysler products for 1968 or 1969 or is it brand specific like Dodge-Plymouth -or Chrysler  related vin/engine decodeing referance.

Whatever I have looks like the 1968 Hi Performance 335HP 383 4 bbl with the unsilenced or smaller air cleaner with no snorkel  :scratchchin:
But I guess the air cleaner could have been changed so I guess it's best to go with whatever the buildsheet says it is unless........the plant put the wrong engine in my car??? Which I dought because it's all #s matching.

6bblgt

In '68 "H" = 335hp in most Road Runners & Super Bees, 330hp in the rest of the B & C-bodies. ** all have a Carter AVS carb ** turquoise engine

In '69 "H" = 335hp in most Road Runners, Super Bees & some other B-bodies (mostly with 4-speeds). ** all have a Carter AVS carb ** orange engine
------------------------------------------------------ 330hp in the rest of the B & C-bodies.  ** all have a Holley carb ** turquoise engine

In '70 "N" = 335hp in RM, WM, XP, XH, BS, JS & some other B & E-bodies (mostly with 4-speeds). ** all have a Holley carb ** orange engine
------------------------------------------------------ 330hp in the rest of the B & C & E-bodies. ** all have a Carter AVS carb ** Chrysler blue engine

Air cleaners are a totally different & endless arguement  :cheers:

ChargersETC..ETC..

So basicly a Charger has yet to be documented with the 335Hp engine.Because wasn't a option for chager. But yet the " H "  letter of the vin can decoded to 330-335 hp simpley based on the Brand alone IE= 1968 Roadrunner 335 hp 383 4bbl but 1968 charger can only be 330 hp 383 4bl .

All that makes perfect sence but what about engine code 710 on the broadcast sheet ? What does that id internal engine parts ?

Question - Is there something about the air cleaners that would make the 5 hp diffrence ?

That would seem possiable to me only I would think the dual snorkle would make more power.

Dans 68

This has been addressed in other threads, but it basically comes down:

(1) an extra point of compression
(2) larger cam & better valvesprings
(3) different intake/exhaust manifolds
(4) windage tray

The block, heads, crank, rods were the same.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,34882.msg380779.html#msg380779

Dan

ChargersETC..ETC..

This gets confuseing don't it  :D

My car doesn't have any HP stampings on the block  so I take it that it's 330HP 4 BBl Charger (with a non hp block) . I don't know the assembly plant right off I guess in order for it to be a 335hp engine it would have had to come from whichever plant assembled and installed the hi performance engines and have a Hp stamp which original Charger factory 383's aren't supposed to have . I see why it's believed that - 335 Hp 383 4bbl engines were NEVER! factory equipped in 1968 Codge Chargers .

Thanks for the great info ! At least I know Not! to refer to it as a 335 Hp Magnum 383 4bbl Hp block Charger like I've seen advertised elsewhere :scratchchin:

triple_green

My 68 charger is an H code engine. I got the car and it was very original. It is a late 68 build (May). I believe that somewhere in the new year they switched from the bigger aircleaner with the snorkels, to the unsilenced design. My car has no HP stampings, but the engine is original to the car. Partial VIN on rear top of engine and on tranny where they meet.

I asked the original owner about the pie plate. He says he never remembers one.

I run a 383 four barrel pie tin on my car, just so people don't have to ask me the eingine size at shows and cruizes.

3X
68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)

69CoronetRT

Quote from: 6bblgt on January 15, 2010, 12:51:39 PM

In '68 "H" = 335hp in most Road Runners & Super Bees, 330hp in the rest of the B & C-bodies. ** all have a Carter AVS carb ** turquoise engine

In '69 "H" = 335hp in most Road Runners, Super Bees & some other B-bodies (mostly with 4-speeds). ** all have a Carter AVS carb ** orange engine
------------------------------------------------------ 330hp in the rest of the B & C-bodies.  ** all have a Holley carb ** turquoise engine

In '70 "N" = 335hp in RM, WM, XP, XH, BS, JS & some other B & E-bodies (mostly with 4-speeds). ** all have a Holley carb ** orange engine
------------------------------------------------------ 330hp in the rest of the B & C & E-bodies. ** all have a Carter AVS carb ** Chrysler blue engine

Air cleaners are a totally different & endless arguement  :cheers:

To muddy the waters even more...H code 68 and 69 RRs and Bees with A/C have the 330 horse turquoise engine. 1968 A body H code cars have a 300 horse engine; 69 A bodys have a 383-HP engine rated at 330 horse. The H VIN code only tells you the car has a 383-4bbl. It does NOT tell you the horsepower rating. The only way to document which engine your car recieved is via the broadcast sheet or a 69+ Lynch Road fender tag.
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

Ghoste

And as far as a 383 powered RT goes, maybe it's true that your should ever say never.  But it's also true that you should always say PROVE IT!

68_R/T_Eric

Quote from: Troy on January 14, 2010, 08:05:16 PM
I'd certainly need to see documentation on that. Window sticker, build sheet, fender tag, etc.

I know there guys who had the dealer modify the cars before delivery (six pack setups, etc.) so I could agree see that. It just wouldn't make sense to pay the extra money and take the hit on the insurance to put a 383 in an R/T. It would make more sense to put the R/T equipment on a 383 car.

Troy

Any modifications done to factory ordered cars back then were done by the dealers after delivery.  Dealers had factory options they could choose from but only within the paramaters of what was available per the make and model specified by the factory.  The only engine option for an R/T was either the 440 or 426 - period!!  Speaking from experiences of friends back then who tried to order options that were not specified - it didn't happen!!  The factories were not interested in making a bunch of one of a kind knock offs that no one else had.  It would have created all kinds of headaches for warranty work, legal issues, etc. etc.  The dealers were tightly controlled by the manufacturers and what they offered and were willing to make.  The manufactures basically dictated to the dealers what was available, what they could offer and how things were going to be configured - not the other way around.
Now, maybe if the guy was some Chrylser executive and wanted something different - it might have happened - but even then, I doubt it.  the mindset of most people back then was take what was offered and be satisfied. :icon_smile_wink:
(From Old Guy - typing on my son's computer :icon_smile_cool:)