News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Installing a 4 speed behind a 440 (originally auto trans.)

Started by 66FBCharger, January 14, 2010, 12:20:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

66FBCharger

What needs to be done to install a 4 speed on an engine that had an auto trans.? Specifically putting a 4 speed behind a 67 440 (350 Horse). Are the cranks drilled but not reamed for the pilot bushing? What will I find when I pull the trans. out?
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

Cooter

Most of the steel cranks are drilled. I have seen some Motorhome Steel crank engines that were NOT drilled..However, there are TWO (2) different bushing's used I've found...there is only bout .030 difference between the two, making you think the wrong one will fit if you just force it..how do I know this? :smilielol:

NAPA lists a "Conversion" bushing to go from an auto to stick, then the stock one as well...As a rule of thumb ONLY, as this isn't "LAW", but the auto to stick uses the conversion bushing and the stick uses the stock replacement one...

I have also seen the crank pilot hole not drilled far enough into the crank..Easy enough fix, just take off appropriate amount off the end of your input shaft, or And I prefer this method, have a machine shop drill your crank the proper amount..

Balance is simple on the steel crank 440's as ANY Internal balance flywheel will work..Like say out of a 318 TRUCK if you need an 11" unit, or out of ny 273-318-340-383-(400 STEEL CRANK ONLY)-413-426Wedge-440 car or truck for the 10 1/2" flywheel...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

John_Kunkel

Most forged automatic cranks are drilled but not reamed to final size (.9375"). The unfinished cranks can accept either an undersized bushing (NAPA #615-1033) or a bushing that fits in the converter hub register from the dealer or several other sources.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Chatt69chgr

John------would it be best to use the undersized NAPA bushing or a bearing that fits in the converter hub register?

66FBCharger

Is it necessary to cut the input shaft on the transmission? I would prefer to not have to do that. Can you tell me what the depth of the hole in the crank should be? I can check it with a depth mic.
What year did the 440 get a cast crank?
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto

carolina charger

If the input shaft has not been cut,  you'll have to cut it. I slid the shaft in as far as it would go, measured the distance from the block to the bellhousing and cut that much and a tiny bit more  off.

Cooter

Quote from: 66FBCharger on January 14, 2010, 07:16:57 PM
Is it necessary to cut the input shaft on the transmission? I would prefer to not have to do that. Can you tell me what the depth of the hole in the crank should be? I can check it with a depth mic.
Most of the 1973-UP 440's got cast cranks...I have a 1974 POLICE "HP" 440 that came through with a streel crank...The only other option you have would be to remove your crank and have the machine shop drill it for you...I won't tell you that you can do this yourself, cause frankly, nobody can and get it correct....
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

66FBCharger

Quote from: Cooter on January 14, 2010, 07:58:54 PM
Quote from: 66FBCharger on January 14, 2010, 07:16:57 PM
Most of the 1973-UP 440's got cast cranks...I have a 1974 POLICE "HP" 440 that came through with a streel crank...The only other option you have would be to remove your crank and have the machine shop drill it for you...I won't tell you that you can do this yourself, cause frankly, nobody can and get it correct....
Cooter,
You anticipated my next question. I was going to ask if I could drill the crank myself. I guess if I did it, it would not be straight or round.

John_Kunkel

If the forged crank is drilled but not reamed to final size, the .750" pilot on the 4-speed will clear the unfinished hole which is usually .815" so there is no need to cut the pilot when using the register- mounted bearing.

On cast cranks which aren't pilot drilled it's possible to hand drill the crank with a drill that's large enough to cover any error in centerness, then use the register-mounted bearing.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Cooter

just be SURE you REBALANCE the Cast crank engine(External balance) when trying to run an INTERNAL balance crank (Steel crank) Flywheel on a cast crank...

Chatt69chgr

I talked to Brewer's Performance friday about the two register bearings.  My question was:  which is more reliable.  He said that there have been instances where the roller bearing over time had lost it's lubrication and had frozen messing up the transmission input shaft.  So I ordered the bushing style.  I can verify that the input shaft will fit into the drilled but not reamed hole on a 69 forged crank that came out of a New Yorker with automatic transmission.  They alerted me to the fact that sometimes the bushing will interfere with the step on the transmission shaft and that if you see that this is going to happen then just carefully relieve this area with a sanding disc.
As usual, the folks at Brewers were courteous and completely professional.  I have ordered a lot of stuff from them and can recommend them highly.