News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Carpet color

Started by 66FBCharger, January 13, 2010, 08:11:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

66FBCharger

Was the carpet in a '69 Charger 4 speed available (originally) in all colors or just in black? I know that in '70 in a road runner with 4 speed car, the carpet was black no matter what color the interior was.
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

Ghoste

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Ghoste on January 13, 2010, 09:34:48 AM
All colors.

You sure about that?

Ive been told that it was black if it was a 4 speed. Now im not saying this is a fact,but it is what I was told.

I hope someone chimes in with solid proof one way or another. .....Jim?
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Ghoste

I guess I can't prove all colors but I do know for certain that it wasn't limited to black.  I have photos to prove that at the very least red carpet was available with four speeds (said proof being unrestored survivor cars that are well documented).
I'm looking through my poorly organized stash to find other colors.

maxwellwedge

Well - I can tell you my 69 GTX 4-speed has white/green interior and the carpet is green and a friend has a tan interior 69 Bee 4-speed with a tan carpet and I think the T5 4-speed Daytona up here has a tan interior and carpet as well.

I think, maybe that black carpet thing was 68 Road Runners which originally had rubber carpet only until later in the year when real carpet became available in it.

Charger-Bodie

Cool guys! Ive often wondered which way that REALLY went.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Ghoste

I've gone through my 69 data guide and trim selector twice and I find nothing in there whatsoever about limiting carpet color to black with a four speed in the Charger or any other 69 Dodge.  A quick check shows nothing about it for 70 Road Runners either but it was a cursory check to try and establish where the limitation is spelled out.

Ghoste

I don't find anything in 68 or 70 either for Dodge or Plymouth about carpet color limitations with four speed transmissions.  Can anyone point me to where this is spelled out?

maxwellwedge

Just checked with Roger on Otis Chandlers old (now Tim's) T5 Hemi Daytona 4-speed - Tan Interior and carpet. It still has all of its original interior.

66FBCharger

I will have to do some research. I know that I have read that in '70 on a 4 speed roadrunner, only black carpet was available. i also know that my 70 road runner was original in '81 when I got it and it had a black interior with a saddle interior.
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto

66FBCharger

I found it. Here is the page out of the 1970 Plymouth Data book. It shows that color keyed carpet is not available with the 4 speed.

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/dealerships/DealershipDataBook/1970/70_Belevedere0008.jpg

66FBCharger

OK, with a little research, I answered my own question. According to the '69 Dealer data book, 4 speeds got formed carpeting in black only. The link is below.

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/dealerships/DealershipDataBook/1969/69_Charger0016.jpg

Ghoste

I can definitely show you some photos of color keyed carpeting in 4 speed cars that have NOT been changed and the respective broadcast sheets (although broadcast sheets have to be broken down to decipher what was put with what).

66FBCharger

Quote from: Ghoste on January 13, 2010, 10:49:29 PM
I can definitely show you some photos of color keyed carpeting in 4 speed cars that have NOT been changed and the respective broadcast sheets.
You never know with Chrysler. I am not trying to say I am definetely correct. I am going on what was printed in the dealer book that I quoted in my previous posts. I know that my 70 road runner had the original carpets (I have the two original paper tags from Collins Aikman with dates that coincide with my build date). As I stated they were black with the saddle interior.  Maybe it depending on production date? My car was an early (Aug.'69) car. Not sure.
It would make sense to me if they restricted carpet color to one on a fourspeed. Compared to the number of automatics sold throughout the line, there were relatively few four speeds sold. The majority of Satellites, Belvederes were automatics. It would be mostly roadrunners and GTXs that would get a stick. :Twocents:

hemigeno

Besides the actual examples of original cars already mentioned (which is probably enough evidence anyway), looking at the parts book should give another big clue.  Group 23-79-3 shows the following for B-bodies in general, and Chargers in particular:

Bucket Seat and 4 On Flr. Cutouts Omitted
     Blue     R,W     1686 EB9
     Green   R,W     1686 EF9
     Red      R,W     1686 ER6
     Tan      R,W     1686 ET8
     Black    R,W     1686 BX8

The factory documentation I have squirreled away is admittedly light on some of the soft/interior trim part information, but there is nothing related to Sales Code C93 (Carpet) which mentions having only black carpet.  There IS a stipulation that lower-trim-grade A- and B-Body cars with a floor-shifted transmission had to have carpet instead of a rubber floor mat.  That makes sense to me.

To me, there's no question that color-keyed carpet was available for all interior colors.  The only exception to that is White, where they specifically stated that the car comes with black carpeting.

:Twocents:

maxwellwedge

Well - The original question was 69 Charger carpet color and we have too many examples of untouched original cars in other colors than black. The Charger was an upscale model. The dealer book info is incorrect. Gonna check the parts book to see what was in there.

66FBCharger

Quote from: hemigeno on January 14, 2010, 09:11:14 AM
Besides the actual examples of original cars already mentioned (which is probably enough evidence anyway), looking at the parts book should give another big clue.  Group 23-79-3 shows the following for B-bodies in general, and Chargers in particular:

Green   R,W     1686 EF9

The factory documentation I have squirreled away is admittedly light on some of the soft/interior trim part information, but there is nothing related to Sales Code C93 (Carpet) which mentions having only black carpet.  There IS a stipulation that lower-trim-grade A- and B-Body cars with a floor-shifted transmission had to have carpet instead of a rubber floor mat.  That makes sense to me.

To me, there's no question that color-keyed carpet was available for all interior colors.  The only exception to that is White, where they specifically stated that the car comes with black carpeting.

Quote from: maxwellwedge on January 14, 2010, 09:13:56 AM
Well - The original question was 69 Charger carpet color and we have too many examples of untouched original cars in other colors than black. The Charger was an upscale model. The dealer book info is incorrect. Gonna check the parts book to see what was in there.

That must be what is wrong. the dealer books never were updated and corrected. I found that '68 said any color with a 4 speed but the 69-71 said black only with 4 speed.
You have answered my original question. Thanks.
Is carpet color called out on the Broadcast sheet? I don't remember if it is. I kind of doubt it.

maxwellwedge

Unfortunately, no - But there are component colors that go with the interior code. On a green white code for example - White seats and door panels, green console (if so equipped), green carpet, headliner, dash pad and steering column.

maxwellwedge

Quote from: hemigeno on January 14, 2010, 09:11:14 AM

Green   R,W     1686 EF9

Sorry Geno - didn't see your post  :slap: