News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

crate engines. where should i go?

Started by charger lover74, January 12, 2010, 10:13:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charger lover74

i just bought a 69 charger and iam looking for a 440 crate engine. does anyone know where i can buy one from a good, trustworth reliable source either in the u.s.a or canada ( iam from canada so it would be better from here but i really don't care)

Chatt69chgr

Seems like I read that Year One was going to offer these.  Most of the crate engines are bored to the limit.  I believe I would steer clear of those and look for a good used engine and have a reputable shop rebuild it. 

flyinlow

68X426

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

1Bad70Charger

Muscle Motors out of Michigan has a great reputation of building Killer Wedge motors at a very affordable price. Look them up, a quick google search should get you linked up to them and they offer a budget 500+ HP 440 longblock for a very fair price.  :cheers:
48 year old Self Employed Trial Lawyer (I fight the ambulance chasers); 1969 Plymouth Roadrunner A12 Tribute Car, Built 505ci; Silver 2008 Hemi Dodge Challenger SRT8, Black 2006 Corvette Z06 427ci LS7-Keep God First, Family Second and Horsepower Third.  Interests:  God, Fast American Cars (old and new), Classic Muscle Cars, German Sheperds, Guns, Animals and the Great Outdoors (sick of Chicago).

Back N Black

Any reliable engine builders in your area? i would find a 440 and have it built to you specs. I think it would be cheaper and more reliable.  :Twocents:

Rolling_Thunder

Indy Cylinder heads...       My only experience with them was with one of their Hemi engines....     it ate two lifters, broke two rocker arms, bent a pushrod, bent a second push rod, blew a head gasket....      all within 1000 miles...      and after THEY broke it in.

I understand shit happens and they were very helpful - but still a pain in the ass for a $18,000  engine
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Belgium R/T -68

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on January 13, 2010, 01:28:58 PM
Indy Cylinder heads...       My only experience with them was with one of their Hemi engines....     it ate two lifters, broke two rocker arms, bent a pushrod, bent a second push rod, blew a head gasket....      all within 1000 miles...      and after THEY broke it in.

I understand shit happens and they were very helpful - but still a pain in the ass for a $18,000  engine

I know a guy from over here who went to Indy for a training, he told me they brake in their engines on idle. Sad their oil was good enough to allow that. :scratchchin:

Per
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

68X426

Sorry to hear about the bad motor from INDY. Not good at all.  :icon_smile_blackeye: :icon_smile_blackeye:

The question was about crates (which I do not own), and I have only heard great results about theirs from their owners. Until now.

For a custom motor I can personally recommend Shanon Engineering in Minnesota (damn near Canada, eh?). My Hemi is no crate and it is perfect so far. But not a crate price that's for sure.

http://www.shanonsracing.com

They have built the Big Foot monster truck motors, lots of NASCAR and NHRA engines. They know Mopar.

Your challenge is to find a great crate that is reasonable to your budget, or a great custom that is somehow priced "below market" and fits the budget. Keep asking everyone for their experiences.

I vote that you custom build.

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

flyinlow

Never have bought a crate motor. Lots of the chevy lads  seam to go that route.

Have you considered doing it yourself?

You would need :

a servicible 440,

a garage, tools, hoist, engine stand.

engine builders guide/service manual

good machine shop

website with lots of Mopar info

time/money/helper/camera

Last 446 I built (assembled) took about 2 months teardown to startup. Cost about $4500 with Eddy heads.

If you enjoy this kind of thing and are a carefull worker , it is rewarding.

elacruze

Quote from: charger lover74 on January 12, 2010, 10:13:06 PM
i just bought a 69 charger and iam looking for a 440 crate engine. does anyone know where i can buy one from a good, trustworth reliable source either in the u.s.a or canada ( iam from canada so it would be better from here but i really don't care)

Where in Canada?
Muscle Motors has been doing it about as long as anyone, and they're only 2 hours from Canada via Port Huron.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: elacruze on January 13, 2010, 05:49:19 PM
Quote from: charger lover74 on January 12, 2010, 10:13:06 PM

Where in Canada?
Muscle Motors has been doing it about as long as anyone, and they're only 2 hours from Canada via Port Huron.

I got my 493 from Muscle Motors and it was a Rocket. I would recommend them to anyone.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

bamadukefan02

For my own knowledge, I don't even have a Mopar yet,  are the new blocks that are out there from Chrysler and the other manufacturers worth the money or not?

Thanks
Holt

elacruze

Quote from: bamadukefan02 on January 14, 2010, 11:24:49 PM
For my own knowledge, I don't even have a Mopar yet,  are the new blocks that are out there from Chrysler and the other manufacturers worth the money or not?

Thanks
Holt

Only if you're making 600+ HP or turning more than 6500 RPM, and don't like to take apart to inspect for wear regularly.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

BBKNARF

Buy your self a used 440 or just the block itself, take it to a good shop and let them build it to your needs.
68 Charger, slowly in the works, 451 c.i. approx. 535 hp @ the flywheel, so far best time in the 1/4
11.21 @ 119 mph, full exhaust, stock suspension, 4:10s @ 3640 pounds.

1Bad70Charger

Quote from: 1Bad70Charger on January 13, 2010, 02:01:48 AM
Muscle Motors out of Michigan has a great reputation of building Killer Wedge motors at a very affordable price. Look them up, a quick google search should get you linked up to them and they offer a budget 500+ HP 440 longblock for a very fair price.  :cheers:

Here is a good example:

Muscle motors offers a 525 HP, 540 torque crate engine, 471 cubic inch stroked 440 engine, for $6,999, that just needs an intake and carb to make complete!  Their objective is to offer great performance and workmanship with value!   :2thumbs:
48 year old Self Employed Trial Lawyer (I fight the ambulance chasers); 1969 Plymouth Roadrunner A12 Tribute Car, Built 505ci; Silver 2008 Hemi Dodge Challenger SRT8, Black 2006 Corvette Z06 427ci LS7-Keep God First, Family Second and Horsepower Third.  Interests:  God, Fast American Cars (old and new), Classic Muscle Cars, German Sheperds, Guns, Animals and the Great Outdoors (sick of Chicago).

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: BBKNARF on January 15, 2010, 11:10:34 PM
Buy your self a used 440 or just the block itself, take it to a good shop and let them build it to your needs.

See, Ive had such bad luck doing that ,That I pretty much decided that the guys who specialize in something are just worth it.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

THE STIG

Quote from: flyinlow on January 13, 2010, 03:29:43 PM
Never have bought a crate motor. Lots of the chevy lads  seam to go that route.

Have you considered doing it yourself?

You would need :

a servicible 440,

a garage, tools, hoist, engine stand.

engine builders guide/service manual

good machine shop

website with lots of Mopar info

time/money/helper/camera

Last 446 I built (assembled) took about 2 months teardown to startup. Cost about $4500 with Eddy heads.

If you enjoy this kind of thing and are a carefull worker , it is rewarding.

I think I would agree with this guy.

R2

Not much mention of the better Mopar engine builders out there.......besides Muscle Motors

Best Machine Racing (Michigan)

Muscle Motors

Hughes Engines

Porter Racing

If you pick up the latest Mopar Muscle,,,they have the engine "build off" stuff,,,from various engine builders,,,alot of them were E headed 440's to strokers,,,with impressive numbers,,,,,,might want to pick up that issue,,and see if there are some engine builders there that would be a option.

I have a 496 stroker from Muscle Motors in the Charger......

I have a 440 race motor in the Belvedere from Best Machine

Dwayne at Porter is doing another motor for me.......

Call around,,,,i have had good luck with all 3 of the above...........

:2thumbs: