News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

how much would you pay for an original 1967 440 ?

Started by komninon, January 10, 2010, 04:33:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

komninon

squeakfinder

If you can't hear it run I would at least take a breaker bar to it to see if it turns freely. And then pull the heads to see if it's got over sized pistons from a prior rebuild.
About $500.00 seems to be the max around these parts for used motor.
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

Back N Black

Quote from: squeakfinder on January 10, 2010, 04:55:05 PM

If you can't hear it run I would at least take a breaker bar to it to see if it turns freely. And then pull the heads to see if it's got over sized pistons from a prior rebuild.
About $500.00 seems to be the max around these parts for used motor.

I agree, i paid $500 for a 67 block.

268RTs4ME

I sold a bare block for $500.00, thats a pretty fair price, if your gettng the complete motor, your doing good to me.

TexasStroker

I'd say $500 if it is complete (all brackets) and includes the tranny.  I'd imagine you have build plans for the motor, so compression etc shouldn't be an issue.  You might try and get a history on it...not good to pay $500 for a block that is already maxed out.  If you are doing a perf. build you can sell the carb, intake, and manifolds etc to recoup some of your inital purchase price.

If it is a virgin and you really want/need a 67 block go for it.  Check the date though...I've seen a lot of folks excited to pick up a "date coded" block only to later find out that the casting and build date don't quite sync.  Really depends how important all of that is to you, or if you just want a 440.

That aside if you have been on the hunt and come up empty, even $500 for the complete 440 isn't too bad considering the freight you'd have to pay or time/fuel required for you to go get on that is a little cheaper.
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

Cooter

Round here in VA, used 440 engines that are approaching 40 years old that don't have to have the pistons BEAT out of them with a Sledgehammer, go for $1000.00 in rebuildable, or runable condition....Sure, there are some $300.00 440's out there, but you get what you pay for...I've bought $200.00 440's and gotten it home only to find out the crank has been turned .040 on ONE Rod journal, or over bored .060, or a head is cracked..

" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

defiance

huh.  I paid $200 for mine - bare block, but I'd have pulled the rest off anyway :P

Troy

A 67 440 would have 915 heads so that tends to raise the price a bit. Sometimes the heads sell for as much as $500. The block may only sell for $200. Who knows? I bought a standard bore 67 440 (non-HP) short block for $400 a few years ago. I think it came out of an Imperial or New Yorker. I didn't think that was too bad. The cranks sometimes sell for around $250.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Ghoste

It's a regional thing I would say.  Decent rebuildable 440's that don't need the pistons beat out go for 500.00 around here but Troy's points bear merit too.  There should be some local guys to you that can give you an idea what they go for where you are at.

Rolling_Thunder

Rebuildable 440s go for 250 - 500 here in socal...      Hell I have a 66 440 block chilling in my Shed...   along with 3 383 blocks...     total investment ? $100 for all 4 blocks
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip