News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1968 Dodge Charger VIN vs Body Tag

Started by Blakcharger440, January 09, 2010, 08:50:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blakcharger440

A friend of mine just clued me in on some information that I did not know about 1968 Dodge Chargers or mopars of that particular year.

He told me that the last 6 numbers on the VIN will not match the last 6 numbers on the bottom line of the body tag.

I know for 1970 Dodge Chargers and other mopars they matched but how come they dont match for 1968 Chargers?

Alaskan_TA

'68 used the VON, not the VIN.

VON is the Vehicle Order Number (from the order sheet)

Blakcharger440

Quote from: Alaskan_TA on January 09, 2010, 09:01:18 PM
'68 used the VON, not the VIN.

VON is the Vehicle Order Number (from the order sheet)

Hmmmm...so what you are sayin is that the body tag VON would match the build sheet, but not the VIN correct?

maxwellwedge

The 2 stampings on the body should be:

1'st digit - Assembly plant
2nd digit - Model year
3rd digit - 1'st vin digit
Last six digits - Shipping Order Number

It should look like x8X xxxxxx

The small x's are to be filled in

On the bottom line of your Fender Tag the last 6 digits will be the Shipping Order Number aka VON

Blakcharger440

Quote from: maxwellwedge on January 09, 2010, 10:55:38 PM

2nd digit - Model year

On the bottom line of your Fender Tag the last 6 digits will be the Shipping Order Number aka VON

Alright now you have me confused. Maybe someone could clear this up.

Here is my question again... Should the last 6 digits of the VIN match the last 6 six digits on the bottom line of
the body tag on a 68 Charger?

69CoronetRT

" Should the last 6 digits of the VIN match the last 6 six digits on the bottom line of
the body tag on a 68 Charger?"

No. The last six digits of the tag should not match the VIN. The last six digits of the numbers on the tag should match the numbers stamped into the body.
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

Dans 68

Do a read on this thread http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,38316.0.html to get somewhat convoluted overview of the '68 I.D. scheme. It should help.  :icon_smile_wink:

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

Blakcharger440

Quote from: 69CoronetRT on January 10, 2010, 09:40:22 AM
" Should the last 6 digits of the VIN match the last 6 six digits on the bottom line of
the body tag on a 68 Charger?"

No. The last six digits of the tag should not match the VIN. The last six digits of the numbers on the tag should match the numbers stamped into the body.

Awesome! Thanks for that definitive answer! :2thumbs:

268RTs4ME

The last 6 #s on your data plate like stated is the VON, those #s on you 68 should match the #s stamped on the inside of your radiator support, open up trunk lid move trunk rubber up on drivers side and those #s should also be stamped on truck Rail also.

maxwellwedge

Quote from: Blakcharger440 on January 10, 2010, 08:57:22 AM

2nd digit - Model year

Alright now you have me confused. Maybe someone could clear this up.

Here is my question again... Should the last 6 digits of the VIN match the last 6 six digits on the bottom line of
the body tag on a 68 Charger?

The last line of my post was your answer - I guess the confusion of calling the tag the body tag (which is ok) - most know it as/call it the fender tag.  :cheers:

69CoronetRT

2nd digit - Model year
3rd digit - 1'st vin digit I know what you mean here but should this state "1'st letter of VIN" instead of digit? The word 'digit' could mean somone would be looking for a number like 1 or 2 instead of the letter used for the model line like W, X, R, etc. Just askin,,,
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

maxwellwedge

Yea - you are right - maybe I should of said letter or character - a digit is a finger  :smilielol: