News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What's a good mechanical fuel pump or is stock ok?

Started by bull, January 09, 2010, 08:23:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

I was looking at fuel pumps and wondering how critical it would be to have one of these high volume aftermarket ones on my rebuilt 383? The one I have now is an OE-style and I'm not going to mess around with electric so get that out of your head. Anyway, is OE good for a mild performance 383 rebuild or should I go with one of these HV pumps from Holley, Carter, MP, etc.?

68blue

My recently built 383 has an OEM mechanical fuel pump feeding a Holley 750 DP, didn't notice any signs of it being a problem on the run in. I have the standard 5/16 fuel pickup.

R2

Mancini sells a Carter for about $47 (440)
That is what i run on the Charger......

The 383 pump was about $34.......... :2thumbs:

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/mechanical.html

471_Magnum

The Carter 6903 it essentially a Hemi pump. It is more than adequate for just about any big block up to 500 hp. I have personally had good luck with them, but there have been reports of spotty quality. Seem to have been a bad batch of them.

Holley has a similar pump. It's polished, and more expensive. Nice piece. I installed one on a relatively stock 440 with good results.

A good stock OE pump should be okay, but a performance pump is good insurance against vapor lock.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."