News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New computer with windows 7

Started by Todd Wilson, January 09, 2010, 12:21:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd Wilson

Well got a new unit today, Been working on a 10 year old Dell   P4 1.3ghz 256ram Windows ME machine.    New Dell rolled in today.  Core 2 quad 2.83ghz 8gig ram 12meg L2   1333mhz side bus, 7200rpm HD   1 gig video card. 23 inch HD flatscreen.  Windows 7.    This thing rocks.  I cannot get it to puke or bog down. Just keeps cranking out what every I give it, Watching a DVD. 5 browsers open. Moving files across network. Putting music on the Ipod. Processed 2 sets of pictures for the web site. then I plugged in my camera to downlaod pics from it. All going at same time and it never missed a beat.   Maybe windows 7 has finally got it right?   I havent seen a machine multitask like this since the days of the old Commodore Amiga!

Todd

miller

Quote from: Todd Wilson on January 09, 2010, 12:21:46 AM
Well got a new unit today, Been working on a 10 year old Dell   P4 1.3ghz 256ram Windows ME machine.    New Dell rolled in today.  Core 2 quad 2.83ghz 8gig ram 12meg L2   1333mhz side bus, 7200rpm HD   1 gig video card. 23 inch HD flatscreen.  Windows 7.    This thing rocks.  I cannot get it to puke or bog down. Just keeps cranking out what every I give it, Watching a DVD. 5 browsers open. Moving files across network. Putting music on the Ipod. Processed 2 sets of pictures for the web site. then I plugged in my camera to downlaod pics from it. All going at same time and it never missed a beat.   Maybe windows 7 has finally got it right?   I havent seen a machine multitask like this since the days of the old Commodore Amiga!

Todd

Give it a couple of months... it will slow down, and then in a couple years it will be time for a new one! :nana:

2005 Harley Davidson 1200 Sportster Custom - Maggie
2012 370Z NISMO - Courtney
1979 Corvette L-82 - Lilly
1969 Dodge Charger R/T Clone - Vanessa

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

b5blue

Keep us posted it sounds like a well equipped set-up. What did it set ya back? My HP dv6000 with Vista has purred like a kitten for almost 18 months so far, but I am not running a company with it or trying to anything heavy duty. Your set-up sounds like what I want to get for myself.....I'm sick of "sharing" with my son (16).

Tilar

I've been running Windows 7 on a dual boot with XP on this computer since mid summer. It runs great and you really have to push it hard to get it to even hiccup.

That said, I don't forsee me paying for Windows 7 when other than a few bells and whistles it isnt any better than XP.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

Todd Wilson

Quote from: b5blue on January 09, 2010, 02:16:37 PM
Keep us posted it sounds like a well equipped set-up. What did it set ya back? My HP dv6000 with Vista has purred like a kitten for almost 18 months so far, but I am not running a company with it or trying to anything heavy duty. Your set-up sounds like what I want to get for myself.....I'm sick of "sharing" with my son (16).

I got 1100$ in it. Got almost everything installed on it the way I want. Been moving files from my servers,burning dvd's,surfing the web and watching internet tv shows today and never once did it skip a beat or pause at all.  My P4 XP machine with 2gig ram wont do that. I am having some printer problems. Still working on that. I have 2 network printers that I may have problems with but dont know 100% yet for sure.

Todd

jb666

I'm about to make the leap to a new machine running Windows 7. So far I've set up several dozen machines running Windows 7 and I'm very impressed with what I've seen.  I have had MANY tasks running simultaneously and have yet to see it miss a beat either  :cheers: :cheers:

John_Kunkel

I would give the processor more credit for the speed than Windows 7. Every Windows machine I've had was lightning fast (comparably) when new but slowed with age.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

jb666

Quote from: John_Kunkel on January 09, 2010, 06:24:55 PM

I would give the processor more credit for the speed than Windows 7. Every Windows machine I've had was lightning fast (comparably) when new but slowed with age.

I agree, but overall I'm really liking 7's ability to multi-task... XP, IMO is a good OS, but it DEFINITELY stumbles...  You are right, though, a huge part of the "speed" is the newness of the system..

SeattleCharger

that seems cheap for a dell with all that, quad core and 8 gigs memory?  and all the other stuff?  good deal,
  have your run some high demand video games on it?  how does that graphics card handle it?

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

Todd Wilson

Quote from: SeattleChargerDog on January 09, 2010, 08:57:31 PM
that seems cheap for a dell with all that, quad core and 8 gigs memory?  and all the other stuff?  good deal,
  have your run some high demand video games on it?  how does that graphics card handle it?

Not yet. I am really not a gamer.  Slow computers piss me off.   I am the guy who wants to burn a dvd,print 600 sheets to a printer. Process 2-3 web picture directories. Move files thru a network,send 75 people an email with a 5 meg attachment,surf the web and or listen to music or watch a video all at the same time. I can finally do it.

I got the Deadliest Catch Crab Fishing game a year or so ago as a gift. None of my machines would run it worth a crapola.   Now I cant find the game. Been looking all day. That will put it to the test for sure.

Todd

Todd Wilson

Found the crab fishing game this evening. It played the game just fine. No issues. Still had a browser and email running in the background. Shut the game off later and had up to date stuff to look at in the other programs.  I am running into a printer issue with my inkjet. Its not gonna work right now.

Todd

66chargerkid

I just got a BRAND new studio dell laptop with windows 7. I am impressed.
MUCH better then Vista and as all of you have said, no hicups WHAT so ever. Its great and lightning quick.
My laptop has 4g's of ram, 500g's of harddrive and a core duo processor 2.20 ghz.
So far I love it.

Todd Wilson

Quote from: 66chargerkid on January 10, 2010, 11:10:04 PM
I just got a BRAND new studio dell laptop with windows 7. I am impressed.
MUCH better then Vista and as all of you have said, no hicups WHAT so ever. Its great and lightning quick.
My laptop has 4g's of ram, 500g's of harddrive and a core duo processor 2.20 ghz.
So far I love it.

I got my wife one of those for christmas. After a few days using hers I realized it was time to upgrade and ordered mine!

todd

SeattleCharger

well, just loaded grand theft auto 4,  nope, won't run.    dang I have to get a new computer.
  fancy pc games are mostly a kick azz vid card, but now they basically require at least a duo core and 4 gigs of memory.  
      but can anyone sell me why I should get a quad core now?  instead of just a decent duo core?  I don't really run multiple applications at once.    and most software isn't written in code to utilize a quad core, but I wonder how long it will be before you need one,  :shruggy:

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

69bronzeT5

I have Windows 7 on my brand new HP notebook....LOVE IT! :yesnod:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic